Swan Island Dahlias...

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi folks! The Pard here with dahlia pics from Swan Island, taken in September. It was a beautiful pre-fall day and the sun was very bright. Let me know if you think I have any mislabeled-- I had their catalog open in another window while I edited. There are more than 40 more yet to get edited! Hope this brings a bit of winter cheer! The first is a field panorama....

Thumbnail by pardalinum

Here is Taiheijo..

Thumbnail by pardalinum

and here is Polyventon Supreme...

Thumbnail by pardalinum

Clyde's Choice...

Thumbnail by pardalinum

and Snickerdoodle..

Thumbnail by pardalinum

I like these sunset colors.. Swan's Sunset!

Thumbnail by pardalinum

Mystique...

This message was edited Dec 7, 2006 8:13 PM

Thumbnail by pardalinum

What the heck... another view of Mystique!

Thumbnail by pardalinum

This is Inland Dynasty...

Thumbnail by pardalinum

Banana Rama is nice!

Thumbnail by pardalinum

I'm a big fan of Rip City! Very classy!

Thumbnail by pardalinum

Last one for now... Emery Paul

Thumbnail by pardalinum
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH Dahlias. Thanks Pard! The more I see those really dark red ones, like Rip City, the more I like them; but all of the above are a welcome sight in December.

Y'all come back soon, and post some more.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, looking good. So nice to see sunshine and some very nice dahlia blooms.

You're right about the sunshine, daisy. Is it dreary around here or what! Typical dreary PNW weather. But it's preferable to snow and ice!

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I'll take one of each- just stick them in the stocking hanging from the mantle...Thanks!! (really gorgous....)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Very nice The Pard. Pretty much winter here now too.

Chicago, IL

Very pretty, Pard. Thanks for sharing.

:-) Sarv, I love your comments. They always tickle me.
Pooch, I might have a tuber of Rip City for you. Carol sent me one and I planted it at the temple. It didn't bloom, but I think there are a couple tubers that I stored away. I'll check in March/April.

I have time tonight to add a few more, hope you all enjoy them. First up is Cha Cha...

Thumbnail by pardalinum

Didn't I see Maarn mentioned on a recent thread? Here she is...

Thumbnail by pardalinum

Jennifer's Wedding...

Thumbnail by pardalinum

and Ali Oop...

Thumbnail by pardalinum

and Brandon James..... is this one COOL or what!

Thumbnail by pardalinum

This one is very variable. Hulin's Carnival. This specimen was exactly 1/2 solid wine and 1/2 white with specks. Other blooms were solid white with specks and some solid wine... Has anyone out there grown this one??

Thumbnail by pardalinum

Kasuga has huge blooms! The catalog describes it as appleblossom pink but my field notes describe it as lavender... I think my photo is more accurate but what do I know it is months after the fact now!

Thumbnail by pardalinum

Last one then I will have to find time to do more editing. This is Black Satin. OOOOH I love those dark black red ones!

Thumbnail by pardalinum
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yep, Connie, I have grown 'Hulin's Carnival'. Have several plants of it. It can do just what you show in that picture. Some blooms are varigated, some have solid colors, and some have the usual spots. I am finding that the ones that are defective seem to happen when it doesn't get as much water as it should. Sounds crazy but this past year, it did better than the past 2 years and it was so dry this year. Tho I ended up watering much more and better, I thought.
Nice pics!!!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Hey Pard! I didn't realize you liked Dahlias, too!

I went right past Swan Island on my trip last June, but it was too early for the dahlias, which really surprised me! Saw Roses and ferns instead, but it was quite a drive into Bellevue (National Rose Show) and the east to the roses (Heritage) & ferns (Judith).

Pics are mah-velous, and it reminds me that I have to add a couple of dahlias onto my Swan Island order since I've already paid the minimum for shipping. It's so hard to decide between them!

Suzy
P.S. There is a place called Grant Mitsch Novelty Daffodils right near Swan Island -- within 5 minutes. Maybe next April you can take some pictures and post on the bulb forum!

Hey Suzy-- if you make it to the west coast again we must properly meet!! Did you come out just for the rose show? I bet that was a beautiful experience. Driving up through the Puget Sound area is NOT a lot of fun though (in my opinion).

I haven't been to Mitsch's place yet. Their website indicates a narrow window of hours and days. Maybe I can arrange for our garden club to visit in early April-- we are always looking for new places to visit! There is such a cornucopia of great places to visit in this area-- Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm is popular in the early spring (acres of tulips and daffodils); Frey's Dahlias also and usually more reasonably priced than Swan Island. And a kazillion iris growers/hybridizers.

All of my dahlias were seed grown this year. I like the dark foliage ones so I grow the Diablos and Bishops Children. Some of those turned out pretty nice.

Connie

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

So pretty I just love the bright sunny yellow one !

Hey! I forgot to flag this thread and didn't see your post, Pard.

My trip was for the PNWLS meeting, if you can believe it!

My old college roommate lives out there (literally less than 1 mile as the crow flies to Judith's fields, unfortunately, the car they gave me didn't fly and I had to wind down a couple of mountains to get there. LOL!) Then we went on some rose and fern side trips and bought a horsetrailer.

Yes, we'll have to meet if I get out there again. There is a National Daffodil Show in Pullyup in April that I've been invited to judge. Somewhere around the 19-21 of April. THAT would make a better field trip for your garden club than Mitsch's fields if it's close enough! (O course Mitsch will have cut a lot of flowers for the show, too)

I have a lot of dahlia seed -- I can hardly believe they will bloom in a timely fashion from a spring sowing of SEEDS! Oddly enough, I want one just like one of the ones posted on here recently -- sort of a coral with a dark eye. I'm sure it was one of the Bishop's kids. Heck, they're all pretty if they're blooming!

Suzy

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Suzy, you are a judge for flowers? How cool!

Not really cool -- it's more a pain in the butt. I'd like to stay up late and talk to my friends I only see once or twice a year, but instead have to wake up early, get dressed, have an instructional breakfast and argue over what's worth more points (taken off) -- a stem that's too short, petals with a twist, or a corona that's flattened.

In case anybody is interested in the differences of the sexes, Men are way more interested in the outline of the flower petals (the flower shape) while women are almost always more interested in the eyes, which on a daffodil is the corona.

Suzy

Well Suzy, Puyallup is definately the land of daffodils! They have the big daffodil festival every year with real fancy floats. When I was in high school I helped decorate one of them. But I no longer live so close but I do drive up there occassionallyto visit family.

Hey, here's a picture of one of my Bishop's kids. I dug this tuber up and saved it.

Thumbnail by pardalinum

I think it's really pretty! Did you have a lot of pretties or some pretties and a LOT of physically ugly ones? My seed is from a trade -- 2nd gen -- so 'm really not sure what to expect. If I get ONE that looks like Jamie's, I'll be happy.

I might be riding on a float! I was working with the gal who is puting it together and we decided it would be really cool for the winners of certain ribbons to ride either on a float or antique cars or somehting...well, the idea was not popular with everybdy, so she said I could ride in one whether I won or not LOL! I am practicing my "Royal Wave" so my arm doesn't tire out, as I understand the parade goes through 3 different towns. J/k

Suzy

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Connie very pretty ! Growing by seeds WOW ! How is this ? Is it hard ? Do you get blooms the first year ?

I had some pretties and some uglies but I left them all in. Nice thing about seed dahlias is you can yank them out if they are ugly and you won't be out much money at what is usually a couple of cents for purchased seed. I collected seed from this one so late next summer I will report back on results. I have had some pretty nice reds come out of Diablo mixes. The royal wave goes something like wrist, wrist, elbow with the elbow part giving the wrists a momentary rest lol lol. Practice away!!

Violet-- dahlias are very fast growing from seed. I just start them inside in late winter or early spring and then plant them out in June. They bloom later in the summer.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Hey pard, can my kid come and play with your kid?

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

very pretty ! Thanks for your help .

They... look.... related! Closely related!.. Maybe we are.... long lost sisters!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.