1949 seeds

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

I`m awaiting spring too. I have been trying to grow some other besides the 1949 morning glories inside and while the ones that didn`t die as a seedling are making it fine I sense they like it hotter and more sunny than is comfy for us. I`m thinking a plant room seperate from everyone else can help accomodate the need for higher temperature and light allowed to come in through the windows.

I might play around with the set up and lighting later. Right now I`m experimenting with some cheaper less rare guinea pigs. :)

I`m going to start mine after the warm weather and plant it in a special secure area to keep it extra safe and nurtured with the needs met.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2007 9:09 PM

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

Just a note on the possibility of genetic abnormalities...this is not always a bad thing, folks! Genetic abnormalities occur in nature on a regular basis. This is how we get our wonderful and diverse plant species. Most of the time a mutation is bad for the plant, and it will not thrive or be out-competed by normal species. Sometimes, however....the mutation is beneficial to the plant, providing a new protection or survival strategy. It can also provide a new and unique type of bloom!

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Just found this thread this evening and it is absolutely rivetting! I am absolutely on the edge of my chair! Bravo!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

We are all waiting to hear, how are the babies doing? The suspense is killing us.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

No sign of anything here yet.

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Any good new?

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Mine seem to be doing well. They are about 6" high and green and growing. I am debating whether to prune them or transplant and trellis in a one gallon container. Any thoughts from anyone with experience would be welcomed. If these were the ordinary mg seedlings, I wouldn't hesitate to prune them back, but unsure/uncomfortable doing so with these.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Id not do any cuting yet

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

That is awesome! I have hope for my 3 seeds. I can hardly wait! You must share pictures!!!

I would not do any pruning at this point!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm so jealous! Nothing here yet. :-(

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I got four of these wonderful seeds. Excuse the goofy picture of me - I couldn't look good in a picture if my life depended on it!

Here is a picture of the three that sprouted:

Thumbnail by KayJones

Hey, those are really looking good! Gently transplant them to larger containers. I would just grow them in containers so you will be sure to get seeds this summer!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This has been the most fascinating thread to follow!

Lurk, lurk, lurk

Joanne

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

KayJones.... I recognize those kind of containers they are in. : )
I use those also. SONIC, hot fudge sundae with nuts, please. LOL They are great for starting seeds.
You are doing a good job, they look healthy.

~Lucy

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

The plants vivible in the photo here
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/KayJones_1171410569_515.jpg
have features consistent with either Ipomoea nil or less possibly Ipomoea purpurea var.diversifolia...

The size of the cotyledons are very large...appreciably larger than what would be seen in an Ipomoea purpurea...and surprisingly large in relation to the size of the seeds...and no signs of any type of seed embryo dehydration damage...the seedlings actually look perfect...

A very different type of cotyledon than was first posted by phicks here
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/phicks_1168176720_592.jpg

The first leaves present are showing features of early trilobed leaves...as can be seen by the inward cutting and indentations present on the perimeter of the leaves...possibly of I.purpurea var.diversifolia,but the overall look is of an Ipomoea nil...

Looks like the seeds that all had a very consistent look have so far yielded some relatively unforseen surprises...

Certainly will be interesting to check out the continued novelties that come from some of those growing these out...

Very enlightening...(!)...and a wonderful insight into learning...

TTY,...

Ron

P.S. - Any closeups of the cotyledons and true leaves would be a most welcome addition to the display...

This message was edited Feb 14, 2007 2:03 AM

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Still lurking.....and facinated. I'm so glad that there are actual plants! I can hardly wait to see what the flowering is like.

I was expecting diversity from this group of seeds, since the package claimed to be a mixture. The actual seeds looked rather uniform, though.
Beth

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Kay, you rock girl.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

New thread here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/692983/

(I can't help with the experiment, since I am a seed-murderer, but I'm having fun lurking!) :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.