Nothing but PODS

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

This indoor plant bloomed its little heart out and developed an amazing number of pods. Then it dropped all its leaves and its just maturing the seeds. It looks like something from "invasion of the body snatchers". I am wondering if I made a mistake by just feeding it with bloom booster. Maybe it needed some nitrogen to maintain the leaves. Seriously, it is all stems and pods!
Beth

This message was edited Dec 14, 2006 11:41 AM

Thumbnail by ByndeweedBeth
Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

Too bad those pods don`t light up. That would be something else for a christmas decoration,huh? :)

This message was edited Dec 14, 2006 5:35 PM

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

This plant was very successful in the Darwinian sense of the word!

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

It was very productive no doubt and you have a generous harvest there! I think the leaf dropping might be part of the life cycle and I have been wondering about that since I observed it it different degrees on my other morning glories. I`m all ears for the opinions of the experts on this subject.

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

baolvera - There is no shortage pf people who advocate no 'fertilizer' who wish they could get the flowers and seeds that you've got...certainly shows that bloom stimulating 'fertilizer' didn't impair your flowers from blooming...

I think Karen has the right basic perspective in that the plants will often drop their leaves as the reproductive cycle advances,but each strain and individual plant may respond differently to the sum total of all environmental factors including lighting,temperature,watering and nutrient media...

A nitrogen supply that is easily absorbed at a relatively slow but steady rate will often prevent MG's from losing leaves...including the bottom leaves during mid-season...

Mushroom compost well aged is primo for slow steady release of nitrogen......

TTY,...

Ron

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.