Where can I buy Dahlias bulbs !!

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Where can I buy Dahlias bulbs !! Please :))

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I guess I could imagine they would be less available locally for you.

this is the best link of suppliers
http://www.dahlias.net/dbiglist.htm

you can also check in garden watchdog or plant scout for additional information on cultivars or suppliers

are you sure you really want these....he he he

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Oh yes ! When e sold our home down the street a couple years ago we had aout 12 named ( did not keep track) plants. They were amazing we had zillions of flowers :)) Our neighbors were amazed. But the people that bought our home did not take care of the wonderous garden beds threw out the corner lot we left them :((
Now I'm dreaming of having more :)) Just a few bulbs will be fine :))
Thanks for the information.
Allison

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

they are actually callled tubers though

I like your sunny pic

best of luck, post some photos next year,
Al

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Yeah I know :)) their tubers sorry about the wrong term.
We had about 12 named ones and if I can just get one of two tubers will be super exciting !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

I was just peeking at Love House Dahlias has anyone ever bought from them ? Do you have a favorite place to buy ? Or do you buy local ?
I fount a disk with like 500 pictures of our flowers :)) Made me say I need to get a couple :))

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have ordered from Dan's and Aztec myself. Other's have been happy with Connell's,Accent,Swan Island, Danielle's. I put in my order with Corralitos this year.

Have not heard of Love House.

I actually can find a lot locally also.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks ! I fount it on the list on the link you postted above.
http://lovehousedahlias.com.istemp.com/page2.html

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

OK, be sure to enter your experience in Garden Watchdog. There are a lot of sellers and not many reiviews.

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

I bought mine from Easy to grow bulbs. I got some with burgandy foliage that are just stunning.
Rebecca

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Swan Island has good tubers. I haven't ordered from them myself but just love their actual acreage we get to tour. I am sure other people will chime in on their favorite places to order from.
Like Al says, I buy locally too besides trading.
You could always trade with people here on DG too.
Carol

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks everyone ! I just went to look at Corralitos Gardens wow :))
Now how do you choose which ones to buy !! They are all so beautiful ! We have a nice snuuy l shape garden bed being prepared
that will be in front of a fenced in are where we have a well which will be perfect for them :))

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

bigcityal I noticed Corralitos sells plants rather than tubers do you prefer this ?
Thanks ~ Allison

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

well for me it's a bit easier as I know what forms I like(WL, AA ID, LC) and then just pick the colors I think I need. I have never ordered live dahlias before so we'll see. As long as the company has a guarantee on what they sell it shouldn't matter too much.

trade you say Carol....hmmm,I never thought of that ;)

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks something to think about . Maybe I could try both :))

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

but you said you were only getting a couple........you're done for like the rest of us.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Yes ! But they say you must spend so much money :)) I so a blue flower on one link I liked too :)) Gosh I'm sure I will have to get at least 6 :)) and this will be hard as there are so many pretty ones !

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

There are no real blue dahlias so don't get your hopes up. Yeah I pretty much order an amount under the shipping charge increase(without getting crazy). They don't all have minumum charges and many companies offer the same tubers.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Oh Shucks no blue I love blue ! I fount this one
http://www.hirts.com/
Blue Beard Cactus Dahlia,

Exclusive! Cactus. Long lasting, bright violet-blue flowers.
So most likly it will be purple ??

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Well if that was true everyone on this forum would have one.

It most likely is purple or violet.

The bluest purple I had this year was Le Baron.
the small one on the right bottom

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

very pretty ! are all those beauties yours !

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

yes, those were some of the 30 or so I had at my work

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yep, another dahlia addict coming along nicely here, LOL

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

WOW you get to have them at your work !

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

daisyruffles I saw some of your pictures you have a yard full of beautiful Dahlias :)) WOW !
And Al saw many of your beauties in Plant Files.
See anything goes outside Hubby waters and cares for :)) Good for me ! And I enjoy the beauty !

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

They like them there. We moved late this fall in to a new building that is just clay mud right now so I need to make sure they improve the soil and put in sunny beds for me next year. It's a landscape company so they have the knowledge....but the will?

this was most of them last year

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Very nice !

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks

I am already missing the soil there as I popped out a lot of the clumps with just one push of the fork compared to 4 or 5 at home.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

do you grow a lot at home also ?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I think so, I have some at a neighbor's house too. Can you see what this dahlia disease will do to you yet.

this is one of my beds at my house

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Those look good at work, Al. I had a couple at work too. I need to grow more tho. But most of the areas are in the part shade so............. am not sure if they would get enough sun to bloom nicely.

Violet, thanks for the nice comments about my dahlias. Yes, I do love dahlias!!!!!
But you get to have someone else water? How nice! We here spend hours with our dahlias between deadheading and watering them.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

and photos.LOL

Carol - I always weeded the grass out my dahlias, you need to make sure they don't weed the dahlias out of there grass ;)

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Al sorry about your dahlia disease . I read your thread about this. How are they doing now ? Did you have to throw away ? Do Dahlias get Mites ? I ask as with African violets plants that get Mites get these same symptoms.
When we had our Dahlia for two years down the street berfore we sold that home we were Blessed with no problems. None of our neighbors grow them that we have seen. We live in a 55 plus neighborhood . Many people can't grow plants. Me I'm 99 percent bed bound . With my husband health we have to have gardeners pre-pare our garden beds. We sold out home next door this October . This home has several garden beds but the owner before loaded the beds with rocks and just placed pots on top of them. We wanted to extend the garden beds and curve them some for design. Last months we had one large bed and two circle beds pre-pared and humus organic soil brought in and plants most of which we grew from cuttings, trades or had for years trans-planted ! We have three more large ones and the L shape one garden bed also we need to have done for us. .
We enjoy growing many different plants . Seeds are fun too !
It's going to be hard to pick out dahlia for our gardens ! There are so many beautiful ones their all Beautiful ! I'm sure we will be getting 6 -12 :)) I wrote Al to " Corralitos " they said ours would be shipped in April. Some Vendors ship start shipping in Jan. :)
I am enjoying looking at all your stunning photos and reading beack threads of how you grow your Dahlias !
OUr neighbors were amazed last time we grew them with all the flowers we had ! I can't wait !

5++--1-2345---92++++++++++.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Allison,
my dahlia disease is all mental!

yes dahlias get mites, in fact I think I get them all

thanks for the compliments, I can't wait either. Mine can go in the ground in mid May here.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

I was looking at the typing on the bottom of my post . I think our little girl Precious Joy did it :)) She is always knocking my hand , she trys to push my wirless mouse away , keyboard and type !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I just figured it was full of secret text and codes I didn't understand ;)

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

;););)

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Here is one picture of some of our Dahlias hrowing about two almost threeyears ago somewhere between end Feb-March. ! Hope we have as much or even better luck growing a few this year ! I recall the time as we got Precious Feb 12 th . it will be three years this Feb 2007 th. !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

All plants look very healthy there, VT
Hope you do get some just as good plants growing nice for you too.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Thank you ! Mery Christmas ~~

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.