Meet Rosa Parks

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

It has been a rough month all the way around for us pet lovers. Some have had sick ones and some have succumbed to long and short term illnesses.

I lost my Great Dane 2 days before Thanksgiving and still find my eys wet when I think of her, see her favorite toy or see of someone elses ailing pets.

Baby, my oldest won't be much longer for the world here. She is 14 this month, has lost her hearing and eyesight and her dysplasia and arthritis are so difficult now, I carry her up and down the porch steps for her business out. She's not paining too much though and wants to stay with me for a while longer.

I'm sorry, I didn't want to start a crying thing here. I wanted you to meet Rosa.

Which is one thing I did today. Been talking to a freecycler all week about Rosa Parks. She needs a home. Sarah had her for about 8 months, through a litter of kittens which Rosa showed up as pregnant. She found homes for the kittens, got Rosa her shots and fixed and now I have adopted her.

When Rosa showed up, she appeared in Sarah's roommates bus parked out back. Rosa didn't give her seat up for anyone, hence she was named Rosa Parks. And Rosa she shall stay. She's an indoor/outdoor cat, but for now she'll stay in my room and bathroom. I got her food, dishes and a box with litter. She's wandering around these two areas now getting used to things. Oh yes, and on my desk.

I'll be getting her acquainted with my canine and avian friends here, but most importantly, Rosa needs to find that rodent that keeps appearing in the corner of my eye.

She is the prettiest thing and has the most vivid green cats eyes. They would make marbles to try to match the beauty of her eyes.

Meet Rosa Parks:

Thumbnail by MollyMc

She seems to be getting comfortable:

Thumbnail by MollyMc

And of course, everyone wants to get in on the dot com action:

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Rosa looks like a fun one!

Sorry about your loss and the declining health of Baby. I still miss Gypsy, my favorite dog ever and it has been several years now.

So enjoy them while you can and remain open to the new ones coming along, that is the best it gets!

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Oh welcome, welcome, welcome, Rosa....you are a beautiful kitty.

Thank you Molly for giving her a home!! We so need happy news on here right now.

My Mercky says hello and welcomes her with open arms and wonders if they might not be related...LOL

Susan
=^..^=

Thumbnail by 9kittymom
Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

MollyMc,

Love the name! And her namesake lived a long, full life. Sounds like Baby is in good care.

Debra

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Rosa is a beauty!! How fortunate you found each other.

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

Rosa is a beauty, I love the name and how she got it. Is she young?

It has been a tough month for pets on DG. I am sorry Baby is failing....why can't dogs live to be 20? that wouldn't be long enough either of course. And of course the loss of Lexy is still fresh.

I have two dogs, ages 13 and 10, and a 16 1/2 year old cat, so my days will be coming.

We need the good news of new furbabies finding happy lifelong homes to keep us going!

Emmaus, PA(Zone 6a)

Congrats on your new addition.. love her name and the story behind it.
Rosa is a very pretty kitty!

I recently adopted a kitty as well.. its been a challenge getting her acclimated to my other 4.

I wish you all the best with your new furkid!

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

Rosa Parks is a beauty! And full of tortie "cattitude", I'm sure. My most favorite cat was a tortiseshell named Spanky. I'm sure Rosa will be just as loving and smart.

Rosa is under the house avoiding me now. I do not look forward to crawling under there. I took her out a while ago and she squeezed in between the seam of the skirting. She has come out a couple times, but I didn't want to spook her and now she ran back under there. Too soon ot let her see the outdoors evidently.

She is a sweetheart. Lovable and not fussy at being held. If I can just get her back inside. Gonna have to because I haven't introduced her to the dogs yet and they just had dinner and will need to go outside. I will invite her to sleep on my bed. It's been a lot of years since I had a pussy cat keep my feet warm.

Okay, I'm back out there now.

Molly
:^))))

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

Hope you catch her. Don't forget the magical sound of a cat food can being opened. That ought to get her! :)

Well, that was fun!!!!!. It was dark at 6 and I took a flashlight in with me. She really wasn't all the skittish, only at the opening.

But man, I haven't crawled under this house since the spring. The smylax is growing under there every which way, up over the steel framing of the house and down and twining all around. I ask you.....how does anything grow under a house where there is not appreciable light?

I have been advised to keep her in the house for a week so she will know where she lives. I will do that. It will be much easier on my knees and shoulders. The knees for crawling under the house, the shoulder for the cat claws.

Poor thing, she is so nervous about her new home. It will just take her a little time. But she gets to stay in with me tonight. I will take very good care of her.

Molly
:^)))

Well, I discovered that the layer of insulation under the house was hanging down and not secured where the dryer vent is at. (I do not use my dryer, or that vent, so it is wide open) I bet that's where the rodent got into the house.

I think I will have to get down there with more duct tape to secure the insulation (winter is here ya know) and seal up the vent opening to keep anymore mice/rats out.

BTW, my keeping Rosa is NOT contingent upon recurring rodent infestations. I really like the kitty kat.

Molly

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

See, Rosa was just doing a thorough home inspection before she decided if she wanted to close on the whole pet/owner deal. Aren't you glad she pointed that dryer vent problem to you?

Murrells Inlet, SC(Zone 8a)

Rosa,,

Meet Sara. She just turned 2 back in october. She came to be with us and keep Brutus company after his mother Bonnie died in January of 05. Brutus also passed the same month just 2 weeks to the day that his mother died. Turned out they both had an inherited heart ailment the I nor the vets knew about until after the fact.

I now have Sara and Gizmo. It took me a while to get used to miss ugly here though!! But she eventually grew on me,besides ugly cats need love too!!

She favors Rosa alot. Sara is calico all over and the last inch and a half of her tail is entirely blond.

Thumbnail by dmichael619
Scotts Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, she's not ugly at all!!! She's beautiful. I love tortoiseshells -- so interesting looking. :)

Marilee

I never knew they were called torties, but I can see why now.

She is not ugly.......she is beautiful!

BTW, Rosa is estimated to be 2 also. We have a lot of years to look forward to together.

Molly

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi Molly, long time, no hear.
Good to see you with a puddy cat now. She looks pretty and happy. With time, she will be roaming around and be content. I always kept my cats inside for at least a week so they know where home is if needed. Then introduce them to the outside with you out there too.
Enjoy the cat.
Sorry to hear about your dog tho. It is so so hard to lose them. I know.
Later, Carol

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

MollyMc - hope you and all of your furbabies have a restful, peaceful night. Hope they can all become friends.

Debra

Carol,

Thanks for the very good advice. I have thought about you often and missed bumping into you.
Hope things are going good and you are doing well.

Debra, thanks so much. I think it will be a good night. My bedroom door will be closed.

Molly

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Molly, so glad that Rosa Parks came to live with you. Even though it's been years since you had a cat, the rules never change, they are always BOSS! She is so pretty, Miss Boots says to tell her hi.

Fuquay-Varina, NC(Zone 7a)

Allowishus was born and raised in Alachua county, so I can tell ya that you got yourself one fine kitty!

;)

and no, I don't think I'm biased about it! heheheh

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

What a great new addition to your family. I am sure she will have you trained in no time..LOL

Kris

Thank you everyone!

We had a pretty good night. She only got a little restless in the past little bit. She then resigned herself to using that nice clean supply of litter in the bathroom. Speaking of which, another freecycler is giving away cat litter down in Archer. Maybe she'll let me have it for Rosa.

Molly

The dogs had their breakfast and are out in the yard now so I opened the bedroom door which joins to the kitchen/dining area.

My parrots are in the dining area. Rosa is funny to watch. She sees the birds and is probably trying to figure out why they are in the house, and in cages. My African Grey is yakking up a storm and Rosa is probably trying to figure out that one as well.

When the birds make a wing flap, Rosa startles and runs back to the bedroom. So she's laying here on the floor by me. Those birds are too much for her to comprehend. (Just wait til she gets really curious. She'll put her nose up to one of the cages, no matter who it is, she will get her nose nipped and she won't mess with them again.)

Molly

GW, personality? Not sure just yet on how much she will have. She doesn't seem mischevious or playful, but that may change when she settles in.

Excelsior, MN(Zone 4a)

I'm so glad you have given her a forever home. She's a beauty!

This message was edited Dec 18, 2006 7:43 AM

Excelsior, MN(Zone 4a)

This is my tortie, Baby-Baby:

Edited to say I'm still having trouble posting pics. Sorry. :((

This message was edited Dec 18, 2006 7:45 AM

Thanks Syb, I'll wait for your photos.

Molly

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

Such a pretty kitty. It looks like she'll quickly establish herself as queen of the house once she gets comfortable and settled.

Excelsior, MN(Zone 4a)

Here is Baby-Baby. (FINALLY!!! I've had trouble posting pics all day)

Thumbnail by sybiltwo

Sybil,

Baby-Baby is adorable!!!! Thanks for showing us. Very similar to Rosa, but much neater lines of color.

Molly

Rosa just finished making a fuss in the bathroom behind the waste basket. I moved the basket and saw a little mouse back in the corner. Rosa thought I was making her stay out, (she was confused) so I picked her up and put her in front of the mouse and told her to "GIT IT!!!!!"

Silly cat, she got it then proceeded to play with it and it got away. Now she's waiting at the back edge of the dresser. I am not moving that dresser. She's crazy if she thinks so.
Now, she just needs to learn to dispatch it properly and all will be well.

Although I patched up the dryer vent hole to keep more from coming in, not sure how many mice are still in here. But, it is good news they are mice and not rats. Poor Rosa is not a big cat.

I think one ran into the pantry. Somehow it got Baby's attention. Now if I can get Rosa in there.

Someone gave me chocochip cookies yesterday and I had too many of them last night. Got into that depressed insomnia thing. Baby was having trouble getting up onto her feet. I am carrying her up and down the porch steps every time now. At least once she is outside she can get a grip on the ground to remain standing to do her business. But it's getting worse everyday and I know I will have to do something when she becomes to miserable to bear it.

Molly

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

My mom's Bengal cats, Tigger and Delilah, were great mousers, Molly. Rosa might have some promise once she figures out she's supposed to kill them. LOL I sure feel for you about Baby. That's so hard. Sarah is around 9 or so, we think, and has her stiff days. Fortunately, she is still very spry and youthful most of the time. And Emma...Well, you know Emma. Big goober.

I was sitting here reading up on the forums, had the bedroom door open. Baby is sleeping on the rug in the kitchen and Snowy is napping on her cushion in Jeremy's room. The board is blocking the kitchen doorway, as usual.

I stop and look around for Rosa. Not under the bed, not on the dresser or nightstand, not on my closet shelf, not tormenting the birds. Can't find her so head off in Snowy's territory. Checking the guest bath, under the futon, behind the couch, everywhere. Can't find her so I start all over again.

I look in my bathroom again and in my periferal vision above, I see a hairy thing hanging over the top edge of the linen closet. What with mice hanging about, you can just imagine my first thoughts.

I look a little closer and find it is a cats foot. How she got up there is beyond me. It's very tall and the only boost she has is the toilet tank.

But here she is:

Thumbnail by MollyMc

A little closer up:

Soon, I will have to start letting her go outside, after all, she is an indoor/outdoor cat. I think there will be some separation anxiety involved when I do that. Since she is the cat, you know who is going to suffer the most. (((((mwa)))))))

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Love that picture Molly! Cat face at it's best!

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

I wonder if she would mind being an indoor cat only..usually they dont mind too much staying in..its always a lot safer for them.

I DO let 4 of mine out during the day but they have a curfew..always in before the street lights come on..LOL

Kris

My thoughts on the indoor outdoor, she does seem to want out. She looks out the windows and cries a bit. Other mobile home dwellers tell me the cats will spend time under the trailers, helping to keep the rodents out.

Also, not having to maintain a litter box in t he house is a real plus. But the lady who had her before, had a cat door. I am uncomfortable with that concept since, all other creatures could come and go at will as well. Like squirrels, rats, coyotes etc.

I am still considering the options since I'm not ready to turn her loose yet.

Molly

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Molly,

Miss Rosa Parks is such a beauty!!!!

I must say I don't post much at the Pets forum, because that's what I think of all 'our' kitties and puppies. I don't want people to think I am a bit limited repeating always the same thing LOL.

Hugs,

Ursula

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.