Nice slideshow

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

That dead one was was titled "The Saddest Day of the Year".
There are about 1/2 dozen that are now on my gotta have it list. Geez pirl, I don't know whether to thank you or what.
'Jessica', 'Fernridge Pride', 'Moor Ridge', 'Oreti Stacey', 'Kenora Macob', 'Silver Tips'. Any one have any of these to trade???
Great link, thanks for finding it and sharing it.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I don't have them grannymarsh but how on earth did you find the names? I was sitting here with my digital on a tripod so I could ask if anyone knew the names! (How dumb blondes get that name!)

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Go to the page that your url pulls up and right underneath the larger picture that says "Maplecrest Dahlias Slideshow" , in smaller letters it says 'detail view'. go there.

I'm blonde also, but now days I get some help. LOL Yes it's my color (I paid for it!!))

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Doncha love the goat??

Yes! I thought there'd be a third photo of the goat eating the dahlia!

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh my goodness....I have my pad of paper and pen and have written down a bunch that I MUST have!!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

This link sounds dangerous. Do I dare go look?

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Go Mendy--if you dare...................

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL!

Wow, those were great pics! I think I might need Oreti Stacey and Oreti Kirsty!

It's like a disease!

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Wait until Annie sees the G O A T S

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

GOATS!? I was just going to post that if you click on each of the photos on the first page of Pirl's link, it opens a large photo and the variety name above it: Kenora Macob-p gets my eye catcher vote just in the first 10 seconds. The goats will now get my attention though!
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://static.flickr.com/50/149768721_de665432d4_s.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/maplecrest/sets/72057594067398831/&h=75&w=75&sz=6&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=HbDaZPR_5aTVDM:&tbnh=71&tbnw=71&prev=/images?q=Gitt%27s+Perfection+dahlia&svnum=10&hl=en&sa=G

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Look at the Ferncliff Illusion macro! OMG- the color and clarity are just splendid. Better than the goat. I am NOT going to look at the video of the goat horning mentioned under the goat photo. I think that is a rather brutal process, unless they're just filing down the horns a bit.

Sorry the link above didn't take you to the enlargement of Kenora Macob-p or is it Macop-b? Thanks for finding this Pirl!

Amazing what we can find when the weather prevents any kind of gardening at all.

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

Just hold your mouse on the photo and the name appears. I haven't bought any dahlia's yet so that link was a danger to me. I just can't decide and I have so many all ready. What is one to do......I know Annie buy some more and put them in DH's garden, like that would work. I have a lot of room in my side yard , guess I will have to talk someone into tilling it up for me. I use to be able to run the tiller but no more. Have to work on the DH , more room more dahlia's. Lol

Question of the day by willow: What is one to do.......

It's one reason why I'm trying containers for them.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Pirl I got through it, there were some nice ones in there. Missed the goats ? ?

There was a thread on dahlias in pots last summer, I had some full size ones in them, but the staking is tougher.

You didn't miss the goat, did you? Two goat photos there.

I think I'll stake them as I plant them. I'm still waiting for my bamboo delivery.

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

That slideshow was like showing a banquet to a starving person!!! Cute goat.

It also convinces me that, however stong it is, PVC pipe is digustingly ugly! It makes the garden look like a cesspool construction site! (Sorry if anyone uses it) It needs paint, at the very least. I liked the painted rebar the best. With it's texture, rebar looks like something boring it's way out of the ground-very natural.

pirl, where are you getting a shipment of bamboo????

There was also a pic of a red bloom with some sort of white shoot- what on Earth? I forgot the name.

Hi Jax - I don't like the look of PVC either. For me it takes away from the natural look, which is why I prefer the bamboo. The bamboo will arrive (someday) from all of about five blocks away.

I either missed or don't recall the red bloom with the white shoot so I'll view the site again and, hopefully, give a guess at what it is.

If you're talking about the red dahlia (#10 down on the right side) I fear it's a stake of some kind.

Helsinge, Denmark

Hi all.
Nice pictures,cute goat.
You can try this link http://www.dahlie.net/.Dont know how to make it blue, sorry
Its a German Dahlia catalog.1887 varieties.It take some time to go through it.
And one wants them all.(Almost)

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Thanks Rosa & Pirl. Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi Rosa - that's one of my favorite dahlia sites, in fact I have a photo in it.

I'll have to interrupt my daylily and rose shopping to look at the link. Thanks, Rosa.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Pirl - I'm going to put this here, I did another PhotoShop project with dahlias

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Well, ain't that the coolest thing..

Al - you're having fun this winter, aren't you? Great, great photo!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Al, a tropical illusion!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Well hi Dave - ramping up for the dahlia season or just following Pirl around - she's sneaky

thanks all - I thought it was worth sharing

Al - with all of this time off do you get back aches when you return to work? If so, what do you take for them? Just curious. Maybe I'm trying to prepare myself for what lies ahead.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Al, I'm here for the goat. You know me, I'm all about the kids.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

kids! Good night folks - tip your waiters.

Pirl - my doctor has me on a high dose of placebos already, but that's mainly to help ease my fears that I am becoming a hypochondiac. Don't worry - old age isn't that bad.

I had an uncle who was a hypochondriac and drove his doctor crazy. One day when he went to see the doctor about another complaint the doctor said - "What is it now, Tom, menopause?"

He died with a cigar and a martini in his hand, at cocktail time. His wife made a comment I never forgot (weeks later) - "He'd have loved the pot roast".

Massapequa Park, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi to all
As you might guess I have just joined. A couple of observations. The correct name is
KENORA MACOP-B This was originated by Gordy Laroux in Snohomish WA. Gordy is perhaps the top originator of dahlias in this country. It was named for his chemo When the Dutch picked up this beauty they got the name wrong and now it is registered this way. It was very succesful on the show bench last year and is wonderful in the garden. Pirl while I grow for exhibition --my front yard is all garden type dahlias and my wife forbids stakes of any kind. I support my dahlias with upside down tomato cages. We use this system at the dahlia garden at Planting Fields in Oyster Bay. Not that far from Southold and a great visit. You will see about 400 dahlias and most suported with tomato cages. This is a shot of the dahlia garden at Planting Fields.
Steve

Thumbnail by Steve_D
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi Steve - welcome to Dave's, always good to have more dahlia people here.

So the name Leroux is Laroux?

Had to reread your post - I thought you had 400 dahlias at your house :)

Al

Massapequa Park, NY(Zone 7a)

Al

You are correct I made a mistake.
Steve

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have Jeannie Leroux - which I thought was named after his daughter.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Good grief, 400?
They look great tho, Steve.
Yes, we love a new DG person here. The more the merrier.
Your yard looks so nice and healthy.
You must have a large greenhouse to have so many potted up then.
Carol

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.