The County Fair is now open. Add your entries Here

Bad Frig, Bad Frig. . . Whatchya gonna do?

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Whatchya gonna do when it thaws on you?
(Well the advertising ploy got you here, didnít it?)
-----------------------------------------
Way back when I froze my first pollen late last summer, I got to thinking:
What am I going to do? I have read how pollen viability is relatively short once it thaws, and here was my dilemma:

My only available option is a refrigerator freezer that is self defrosting. Surely, with a small envelope or canister of pollen, the temperature of the pollen would fluctuate wildly in the defrost cycle. So what I did was make a larger styrofoam box with only a small area inside just large enough to enclose the pollen, and then seal the box up. The thought being that the temp inside would remain the same through the defrost cycle.

Now I canít say I really know how the defrost cycle actually works, or the duration. (Maybe this should be in the appliance forum.) But, have I been a bit too paranoid here? Anyone with other suggestions?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

LOL Very funny ~ now I'll have that stupid song running through my head all afternoon. (That is, until I imagine Bob Dylan singing it and will eliminate that little problem.)

While there is some temperature fluctuation in the freezer, I wouldn't think it enough to completely thaw and refreeze the pollen, especially with the heavy insulation you've given it. Sure hope it works out well for you.

Here is a link to one of my favorite sites http://home.howstuffworks.com/question144.htm

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

It looks like you have come up with a clever solution to the problem (if it is a problem). I have my pollen in a frosty type freezer and seed in the kitchen frost-free freezer. I haven't found any problem with seed in this environment, even over many years storage. But I believe I read something about a possible problem with pollen so it went into the other freezer. This is the first time I have tried storing pollen.

Poland, ME

I know daylily people who freeze pollen. I will have to ask them about your problem (or lack there of.)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.