Time to vote! Choose your favorite images in our annual Photo Contest HERE

Spider Veins

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

I have had a small patch of spider veins in my chest for about 3 years now. It was easily hidden unless I wore a low cut sweater or blouse. Just this morning I noticed I have another smaller patch a little higher now. Now it is visable when I wear even a v-neck collar. How distressing! Does anyone know how these small veins come about, or if there is anything that will get rid of them short of laser treatment?

Thanks

DonM47

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

Don, Oprah had Dr Oz on her show and they talked about removing spider veins. He mentioned a saline technique. Here's a little blurb on it. Hope this helps.

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200702/20070213/slide_20070213_350_103.jhtml

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the link, fly_girl. Good information.

Don

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I have terrible ones just above my knees on my legs. They have been there since I was in my early 20's. And were so embarressing when I wore shorts.

Back in about 1980, I had a dermatologist cauterize them (ancient technique now) and they were gone for a while......but came back as I got older.

I think the laser and saline techniques they use now are much better. Unfortunately, health insurance didn't cover it back then, and still dosen't......or I'd go do something again. Right after I get the rest of me overhauled. LOL. Got lots of stuff to talk to the plastic surgeon about now, forget about the dermatologist, it's going to take the guy with the big guns this time . LOL

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I had a lot of them on my legs. I got the saline treatments. It took an entire summer and I had to wear tight support hose all summer. They went away about 90% but have all come back, so I don't recommend it. I had thought it would be a lasting effect.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Well, this is depressing. I've been considering the saline treatments too. I've had veins on my legs since I was a teen. I hate them and don't wear shorts except at home.

I'm glad to be informed tho. Why does everything have to be so complicated :))

Saint Louis, MO

You know, years ago white skin and plump bodies were considered desirable. Since we can't change the condition of our veiny legs, we need to change the thinking of the people. If we play our cards right, women will be drawing veins on with special leg pencils in red, blue and purple. Ha Ha... we already have them and they don't!!!!!

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I am with you growgirl! I had them even when I had very shapely, skinny legs. I agree that way too much emphasis is put on looks, outward appearance and youth in our culture.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

ROTFL!!!!

I'm not sure I can pull it off. I'm doomed to the ropy blue veins.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

BWHAHAHAHAH growgirl, best advice all day! I've had spider veins on my legs since my teens---they've gotten somewhat worse but not to bad as I near 30. I really don't mind them anymore. There are just some things about ourselves we can't change. And tough luck for anyone looking at my spider veins and doesn't like them. :)

It's kinda like a quote I heard about wrinkles that made me feel better: I've EARNED them!

I would never want to go back to a younger day when I think I may have looked better. I am always happier with each passing year and THAT is a beautiful thing :).

Saint Louis, MO

Tir_Na_Nog
You have the right attitude. Why waste time stressing over things we can't change. I have a great friend with a wooden leg. She would give anything to have my veiny legs. I agree - I am happier at 49 than I was at 19, 29 or 39. My heart is happy, and hopefully, FULL OF VEINS!!!!!
Glad you replied. It brightened my day!
Chris

No problem! It's easy to be content. I'm blessed with a husband who loves me and kids who adore me. Who cares about veins?! :) It takes awhile I'm sure to reach this conclusion but all in all, it's worth it.

Now if there was a foolproof way to remove them that wasn't to costly, would I? Of course, I'm all for looking your best. But if there's little you can do I don't worry about it.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I think it took me awhile to realize not to worry about things that didn't really matter. My dear Mom never got that so I wasn't taught and had to learn it on my own.

The foolproof easy way to get rid of them is probably to have them air brushed out in the photo software like I am sure they do on the ads we see! Those women are only human too. ; )

Bwahahaha, air brushing!

Saint Louis, MO

Don't waste time, money or unnecessary pain on schleratherapy (injecting veins). I had it done by a vascular surgeon when I was 29. It didn't last very long at all. Lucky for me, my mother-in-law worked for this doctor and he charged me almost nothing, but it was still a painful waste of time. I don't know anybody who said they had long-term results. When I'm in a situation where I must show some leg, I mix lotion with leg make up and cover up the worst areas. The leg makeup alone looks like what they use in the mortuary - very fake and almost worse than the veins do. Cutting it with lotion also helps it to spread better since leg makeup is very clay-like. I haven't checked out new products. Maybe there's been improvements made on these products in the last few years.

Medford, NJ

Dermablend concealer is waterproof, sweatproof, and pretty darn rub-proof as well. I used to use it to cover a tattoo when I got dressed up, and now that I am in my 40's I have the beginnings of those little spider veins on my calves, and I use it on those. It covers well, comes in alot of shades. Get the dense cream version that comes in a little jar, not the tube lotiony one - unless you have huge areas to cover. It is easy to apply as well, just dab it on and blend. If you want, you can buy the setting powder that they also make, to set the spots you cover.

And by the way, even though it can be expensive, I have been using it since the mid 90's and have only had to re-purchase twice. A little goes a long way.

I think JCPenney sells it, along with alot of major department stores, and probably other stores as well, and of course online. Works for breakouts and sunspots too! I have used alot of concealers over the years, of all different prices, and this is the best and most versatile.

Glad to hear the results of the cosmetic surgery procedures for these veins, hopefully when I can afford it next year there will be another alternative that works much better.

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Bought some Dermablend on ebay! Thanks for the tip Bhavana. :D

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Got it, and I LOVE it. Does the trick! Thanks again. :D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.