Used Tea Bags

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Hello fellow freaks of nature!

I know egg shells and coffee grounds are supposed to be good for your soil...but what about the tea leaves in the tea bags after your done steeping them? Just a thought....
Keep smiln'...the sun is shinin' :)

Ping

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I throw them, bags and all into the compost. I do make sure there's no staples or anything on them. They don't necessarily have to be composted first either. Sometimes I just cut open the bags and put it in an empty coffee can that I put the used coffee grounds in to put around the roses.

Stockbridge, GA(Zone 7b)

Will that work in a veggie garden too?
tj

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Sure. It will add nitrogen to your soil and give the worms something to chew on, then those worms will turn around and make great fertilizer for your plants too. :)

It's a win-win situation. You get a cup of tea, the garden gets nitrogen from the tea leaves, the worms get some food, and they will give you fertilizer back. All for the price of a tea bag.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2007 8:50 PM

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Pinger, who you calling a freak of nature? LOL Are veggie eater freaks, is that what you are saying? I would eat a veggie anyday over a piece of fruit. I guess that does sound a bit freakish? BTW, we don't see much sun here in soggy western Oregon in the winter but I will keep smilin anyhow.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Lenjo...I did say "fellow" freaks of nature! I agree with you on the veggie over fruit though...
But I call anyone and everyone who loves nature and preserving it and nourishing it, etc. ..."freaks of nature". Don't know why but always have.
Keep smilin', hun...I'll send the sunshine your way.... :)

And thanks for the tip Joan...wish I had thought to ask earlier...I drink about 2 gallons of decaf tea a week.

Ping

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Pinger, I read in your other thread of your loss of your dad. I too want to say how sorry I am but you seem to have a great cheerful attitude. Keep it up. I personally am looking forward to a grand and glorious reunion of all my beloved dead in the next life of heaven. But yeah , we certainly can miss em lots. You have my prayers. Joann

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Joann....your note was very sweet.
And my humor is "my" mechanism, that I use to deal with everything...mostly nervousness. (I had the entire dentist office rolling one day!) I can't imagine what all the other patients were thinking.... :)
Ping

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

But you know Ping laughter is such good medicine ; so much healing in laughter and joy. I have one daughter who gets pretty nervous about various situations but she is the one who has the greatest most wonderful sense of humor; I tell her she would make a great stand up comic. She can do the most wonderful accents. So you just keep that wonderful sense of humor.

Verona, WI

I've been throwing my tea bags into the compost for three years now, staples and all (horrors!). We drink gallons and gallons of tea, so there are lots of them! I hope those staples will eventually disintegrate into nice iron enrichment for the soil, and the string and bag will become "browns" to loosen up this (#%[email protected]( clay!

I have no time to turn the pile like you're supposed to, so my compost will be *vintage* by the time it's ready for use.

(LOOK, the tulips are coming up! Yeeeeeeee-ha! Life can resume!)

Independence, MO(Zone 6a)

Fling those teabag staples under the hydrangeas and watch them change color. I'm with naomi! But I cheated: I planted witch hazel and it bloomed in January. I have Eranthis on my to-buy list this fall, they bloom little golden buttercups early early, along with snowdrops but can someone please tell me why o why would anyone want white flowers first thing after the snow melts?? No, I'm for Eranthis (winter aconite). We're having spring thunderstorms and the grass is so green it hurts my eyes and I've already had to mow the lawn. Isn't it wonderful?

Back to the topic (beginner veggies): I planted mesclun, head lettuce, and snow peas this past week (two weeks late) and they're all coming up now. I couldn't be more pleased. Now that's a sign of spring, seeing the pea seedlings raise their little heads from the veggie bed.

Lenoir, NC

In the BIBLE one of the most frequent (and ignored) commands is "Be Joyful!" so I've wondered why so many people think they have to be stern and serious all the time--and look unhappy.

I've seen times when if I hadn't laughed I would have cried--and laughing is much more fun. We choose to be happy or sad in almost all occasions and I've wondered why people seem to choose sad so often.

Enough off topic from me. Have a blessed and cheerful day.

Cordially,
Carl

Fairfield, NJ

How do you add the coffee grounds and egg shells in your garden? I sprinkle them on top and let the rain soak them in around my shrubs and rose bush. I used to dig in the coffee grounds, but now I have SO MANY WORMS that It's really hard to do that, so I just sprinkle the coffee grounds right on top. I never used tea bags and will start using that this week!!

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Good point Carl! And it's so much more fun to be happy than sad...
I hope you are doing well. I haven't heard from you in a long time! D-mail me sometime and let me know how things are in Lenoir...

Hi never....I usually just sprinkle my grounds and shells...and sometimes I kinda toss them around a bit with the top layer of soil.
But the tea bags, I put in my compost pile.

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

Well sometimes my weather is too wet, cold or just muddy outdoors to get to my compost heaps and containers, so I just chuck the tea bags into my pot plants indoors, I have also been seen to do the same with my breakfast Banana skin, eggshell can also be used on top of the soil if crushed and also put into the compost bins, boxes etc, the effect is the same, I find it very satisfying when I use something in my compost, I actually have been known to follow my grand kids about just incase they forget I want their apple stumps (core ) back from them, so I guess we are all a wee bit freaky at some gardening we do, so cheers, have as many cups of tea as you want, now you can say, "it's for a good cause" best of luck. WeeNel.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

I tuck the teabags around my rose bushes if I can't get to the compost piles. I also pour any leftover tea (usually there's not much), but I weaken it with a bit of water and use it on my houseplants, they love it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.