Grrrrrrrr, my poor wintersowed seedlings!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, as you can see in the picture, my poor seedlings mostly have stems left.
Those darn slugs had a hey day one nite!
I had many seeds coming up in and in one nite, most of their green leaves are gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was so depressed!
I had been so happy on being able to get germination from these pots of seeds just sitting in the baby plastic greenhouse. I was so amazed on what was coming up.
Like:
geraniums
godetias
salvias
lobelias
etc.

See more pics next.
Carol

Thumbnail by daisyruffles
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This picture shows only stems too. These were the nice and thick geraniums ones too. :((((((

I had moved the pots of seeds from my orignal plastic greenhouse (gave the greenhouse to my neighbor and she is keeping some of my wintersowings in there too) since I am putting up a new one. I had put them with, and this is the mistake I had made, gallon pots of other plants. That was a no-no!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

All these pots had nice green leaves on the new seeds. I had brought them over to my place since my neighbor had a couple kids who where having a hey day with the new greenhouse so I wanted to protect them.
So much for that!!!
Those darn slugs............................

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

These larkspurs are very safe and sound in the old greenhouse!

So do any of you guys have this problem???

As you can see, me and Sluggo are going at it.
Besides I am going thru the pots, flats, etc. to do slug patrol...............................

Just needed to vent somewhere.

Carol

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

oh, Carol, I really feel for you...all that work. how disappointing.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks, grampapa
I had used my potting bench like you have to plant all the seeds in their pots on a nice day we had in January.
Yep, I was so excited on how many have come thru our nasty winter.........................

But I sure learned my lesson the hard way.
I moved the pots to their own shelf so hopefully the slugs won't crawl up the plastic but we shall see......................

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Bummer......darn slugs!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Carol: Is that Sluggo inside your pots? I wouldn't do that but rather spread it in a broad circle around the outside of the pots. Sluggo actually attracts slugs so you will attract them TO your plants by putting it so close.

Karen

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yeah, it is Sluggo. I know. I was so frustrated when I saw the tender leaves gone, that I just tossed the Sluggo around. I figured these pots are pretty much busted. I will just have to start them over again. So that is why I just tossed the Sluggo in, just hoping to kill the buggers, LOL

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

carol i can sympathize :(
got slugs here too

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yep, the good old NW is the best place in the world for slugs and snails. We can grow most all plants but the slugs/snails come with the great nature here.
I thought I had a hand on the slugs from using Sluggo very regular last fall but guess not. Darn.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

If you need more seed, just D-mail me. We have slugs here, but it's 7F this morning, so they are either tucked away or dead now. Check all around your containers, even the bottoms. If the drain holes are large enough, they'll hide in them. They won't go deep in the soil, but they hang out around the edges of the surface. I'd suggest that you put your winter sown seeds in domed flats. That is what I do here. You may have to mist them from time to time to keep things moist, but, by using holeless flats and plastic domes, your sluggy friends will have to dine elsewhere.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Dine elsewhere, LOL Carol, love that term.

I have learned that I will keep all my seeds to be germed away from all potted plants and the ground for sure. But yes, the domes would keep them away. Will have to try that too.
I go on slug patrol every time I am around the pots. I have to wear my glasses to make sure I see them all, LOL

Is amazing on how many slugs/snails are around already since it is still cold here. You are at 75 deg.??? Wow, almost can't remember what that temp. feels like.

Thanks for your offer. I think I did sow some of your seeds so will have to check my stash from you. You are very kind!
Carol

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

I was over my cousins last summer gathering seeds, and she moved a stone and there were a bunch of them nasty critters hiding there. First time I had ever seen them, man they are ugly! and slimy yuck... So I have been reading what is good to use to keep them away, I have been saving my egg shells to put down around my plants this spring, if there are any other suggestions, please post them...

My cousin tried that sluggo, and she said it doesn't work, she also used Jar lids filled with beer, but really couldn't tell where it helped all that much...

Connie

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Nothing really works. Slugs/snails rule in the garden, LOL
I find that Sluggo does work but.................not always....................is expensive too.........................
I have use the liquid bait and that was a diaster for me. I used to use egg shells but..............why bother, I want to kill them, not send them on somewhere else, LOL
So........................
I am thinking of getting copper tubing. Need to check into how much it is tho. At least put around certain things like my dahlias.
Connie, you have never seen them before??? Really? Don't they really like everywhere or is it too cold in MI?
Carol

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Seven degrees, not seventy-five, Carol! We're stripping down to our dainties in summer if it reaches 75! I've had really good luck with Sluggo, myself. They crawl off and die somewhere, so you aren't going to see dead bodies, but you do see a reduction in slugs. When they eat the Sluggo, the Iron Phospate makes their little insides turn to goo and they quit feeding. Poor dears.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh boy, was I sure reading wrong. I thought I wasn't seeing it right and I sure wasn't. Sorry, Carol

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

If it was 75F around here, I'd be in a panic trying to get all these seeds planted and up to size!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Connie, If your cousin is in the midwest, our slugs are as different from the ones in the PNW as, well, 7 degrees is from 75 degrees!!! ROTFLMBO

The slugs in the PNW are really big. I heard they can be 3 or 4 inches long and longer -- and I don't mean stretched out real thin; just sitting there they can be that big. Can you imagine the mucus trail on one of those puppies? YUCK! Carol would look at ours and just laugh. If you just have one or two slugs, sprinkle some salt on them. If you have more, then keep in mind salt is poisonous to most plants except the ones at the ocean....and use something else.

I have been slug free for the most part for a decade, until last summer when I bought some ferns from the PNW and brought them home in the airplane with me. I'm hoping they aren't hardy or that I was able to kill all slugs and eggs that came in on that shipment with me :(

Suzy

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

My cousin lives here in Monroe Mi. and the slug/snails weren't small by any means. I had just never seen them before.

Also around Sept/Oct when i was collecting some cleome seeds, a few of the plants had some kind of sticky stuff all over them and they were dying. I could never find what caused this. Could it have been slugs/snails? If so, I didn't see them... will have to keep a look out.

I am really new to all this gardening stuff, I am really green so to speak. lol But I am trying to learn.

Suzy about the ferns, did you remove them from the soil you brought them in with and put in new soil?

I have ordered some ferns and hostas from the coops, I was going to pot most of them... Any suggestions as what I should do? I really don't want to have to spend alot of time fighting with slugs/snails all summer long. Where these are going to go, will be a new garden bed, so if there is something I can do while putting this bed in to prevent them from taking ove, I would love to know.
I hope that makes since...

Connie

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sprinkling something like Sluggo around is the best control I've found for slugs, and it's easy enough to apply a few times during the season. I think the saucers of beer make a mess and don't seem to catch many (and if that's because I'm not using premium beer -- forget it! I don't need drunken, happy slugs). For your new bed, if it's a raised bed or has a border you might look into some sort of copper tape/wire/flashing to put around the edge... I've heard they don't like to cross copper... But I think using one of the slug baits is your best bet, especially with your new tender (tasty) little plants.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Connie, you might have had aphids on your cleome plants. They can make the whole plants sticky and die. Slugs do have nasty stick trails but usually on the ground and up the plants but not all over.

If you guys don't want any bugs or nasty soil, just rinse off all soil totally from the plants you receive or bring back. Then dunk the roots into a light mix of bleach and water and slosh around. That should clean them up. I have been doing this more and more. When I get a trade from someone here on DG, that is what I do now. You never know what is harboring in that soil or plant.

Suzy, yep, our slugs can be huge here. These slugs I am talking about are just tiny guys tho my snails are getting bigger and bigger by the size of snail shells I am finding. Snails do 3x the damage on plants I am finding out. They wipe out all greenry.....................

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Connie,

You will usually see slug trails on top of soil or mulch. If you search when it's sunny, the slime looks shiny when reflecting the sun.

Karen

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks, I think daisy solved the problem tho, sounds more like what I seen on them...

Now to figure out a way to stop that from happening this year, hopefully anyway...

Thank you all for your info. and lol @ critter for the (and if that's because I'm not using premium beer -- forget it! I don't need drunken, happy slugs). cracked me up...

Connie

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

We don't have those big banana slugs like the PNW, but we have plenty of the smaller variety. They love our cool, moist summers, and the overcast days give them more time to graze. I see two different colors... dark ones with dark insides, and palomino ones that are yellowish with a creamy maple filling. (That should make you all shudder!) Our slugs love damp wood and cool rocks, and since we have mostly raised beds here, they have lots of places to hide in the heat of the day. This is also where they lay eggs in the fall. I always clean my bed before first freeze, turning a bit of the soil looking for eggs and lift rocks, etc. I drop the eggs into a container with salt in it, since it is very hard to crush the eggs. They are actually quite pretty... an opalescent white, about the size of cooked pearl tapioca.

As Critter said, the Sluggo method is my favorite. It saves me from handling the little devils, of doing nightly hunting expeditions with a flash light, and of looking at open bowls of dead slugs and stale beer among my flowers. Keeping plants trimmed back at ground level can be helpful. Slugs are slow, so the further the distance between their daytime sleepy spot and their evening dinner, the less likely they are to go there. Also, I leave boards lying around the edges of my lawn, just so they go there to sleep and I can relieve them of the drudgeries of living. I find it interesting that they seem to sleep in groups... social creatures, I guess... little slimy slumber parties... but it makes it much easier to give them eternal rest. Of course that doesn't allow for the occasional rogue slug who ventures out on his own... a proud palomino beauty, lifting his little shape-shifter antennae to the heavens, sliming fearless forward into an unknown land... the next rock or rotten lumber.

How is that for some really weird visuals.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh my goodness, Carol. You should write kids stories, LOL
But your visuals are right on. We have just about every type of slugs here in the NW.
I do need to do some more digging/scraping around plants to try to disrupt those darn slugs.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I have dedicated myself to making a slug's life as difficult as possible in my yard. I make them go further to find a cool shady spot in the daylight, I feed them Sluggo, I dump their eggs in salt, and if I find a slug, I kill it, no matter what else I may be doing at the time. If I drop it in the grass, I get down on my hands and knees, find it, and kill it. If I have no instrument of murder, I squish it between my fingers. No slug goes unscathed. Now, if they wish to find a spot outsdie my yard to feast on some plant, I will let bygones be bygones.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Don't believe I have ever SEEN a slug in Colorado, though they are rumored to exist.

Honestly, when I saw the pictures at the head of the thread I thought "Hey, is she trying to poison those slugs with excessive doses of tylenol? I thought that only worked if you got the slugs drunk first!"

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL greenjay, very funny! But guess you have a good imagination. They do look like medicine, LOL

Well, you should be happy then on no slugs your way. Must be too cold? I wish!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

too dry AND too cold. They would be Slug Jerky.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I think you'd have to run them through a roller, like fruit wrap...slug wrap...yum!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Roll it in sesame seeds and you could probably sell it at WholeFoods.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Escargot Wrap!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Given that slugs are sort of like snails without shells - are you aware of any place where people eat slugs?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Well, I can tell you one place the don't eat them... right here at my house! Anyway, of course, I had to Google 'Eating Slugs'. The first hit wasn't very encouraging: http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/health/HealthRepublish_969551.htm It seems it is best to cook your slugs before you eat them to avoid getting ill.. as if I could eat a slug without getting ill! Anyway, here is a site that tells you how to dress one out: http://shellcollecting.tribe.net/thread/240db251-f8ef-4cb5-aff2-24f848a73efb Isn't the web amazing!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I have a great "natural foods" cookbook that has a recipee for fruit bat soup. I always submitted that recipee to any class cookbook my kids school put out. The first instruction was to buy a two week holiday in Tahiti :-)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Oh, that's a great recipe!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I am not sure what it is, but slugs don't seem to like my yard very much. I probably shouldn't be saying this they might read it as an invitation. When we first moved here I had some on my hosta, I spread pine needles around the hosta and the slugs haven't come back. We do have the small variety here. I suspect our weather extremes might be hard on them.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Most everyone has a slug problem here. New gardeners get what we call a 'honeymoon'. For the first couple years, they will probably be slug free, but soon enough, they are battling with the rest of us. I imagine that they bring them in on other people's plants, etc. It is hard to tell. For the last few years, we've had rather dry summers, but last year, we had the summer that wasn't. I'm afraid we'll have a reall bumper crop of slugs this year because of it. I didn't see a lot of slug eggs last fall, but I can't find all their hidey spots.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Alright Carol - I don't wintersow, but putting the words winter and slugs together seems odd to me. I don't think you really have winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images