Making your own 'cork'board or photo display board

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I have seen in diff homes fabric covering something to use as a message board or display snap shots. Is it covered styrofoam or is that too crumbly? do they use that spray glue?

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

Are you looking for the display boards that are padded, covered with fabric and ribbons? Where you tuck your pics or messages in the criss crossed ribbons?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

pinkpoodlegirl, you can read my mind!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think you can use anything sturdy as the backing -- heavy cardboard, a thin piece of plywood or paneling, styrofoam as you suggested... Just remember if you make it out of something heavy, you'll need a bigger picture hanger to support it. Cover it with batting and then with fabric, just like covering a chair seat, drawing the layers around to the back side and using staples or hot glue or whatever to hold down the edges.. You could probably use spray glue on the front to hold the batting in place so it won't shift around as you work. The back side won't show, but try not to bunch things up so much that it won't lie flat against the wall. I think my friend who made one just wove the ribbons across the front, over and under each other, and fastened the ends on the reverse side.

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

I used a cork board from a garage sale ($.25!) Covered with batting and fabric which I stapled to the back. I then used uphostery nails (found at Walmart for about a dollar) to hold the ribbon that was criss-crossed on the front. I didn't wind the ribbon in the back- that wasted too much ribbon. I also used the nails where the ribbons met each other in the front. That gave the ribbon added security to hold pictures or whatever.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

this is something I make over the weekend. I like the idea of upholstery tacks. Thank you kindly.

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

I used a sheet of pink foam insulation that you use under siding. I made a very large board and used those corkscrew upholstry tacks to hold down the ribbons. I covered it with black felt and colored ribbons. I didn't use batting because I also wanted to be able to use tacks. I was happy with the result.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

so the batting is used if your ribbon holds the photos and w/out batting thumb tacks?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images