MG's and Fiber/Peat Pots

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

I wanted to send this the other day but it turned into a book. So trying again.
Last season I did NOT have to pot up my mg's as many times as in past yrs.
I knew from past exp I could not start my mg's inpeat pots. The peat pots
steal moisture from the potting mix much like the clay pots do. So,
I started all my mg's in tiny 2 inch plastic pots. In 2 weeks the strongest growers
were potted up to the 3 inch round fiber pots. I had to water daily or every other day
they dried out so fast. I let them grow for 2 weeks waiting on the roots to fill up the
peat pots to some degree. Finally, I set glory, peat pot and all down in the
tall 6 inch plastic pots to which I had added about 3 inches of potting mix to the
bottom, filled in on the sides and some on the top. By now, the glory's were so
dry, they were so happy to have the moisture finally at the roots, they just started
looking luxurious. It was the only potting up I had to do. They were happy and bloomed
just great. The 6 inch tall pot is actually the standard size, not the azalea height that we see most often. It's very close to the trade size 1 gallon.

Heavenly Blue Oct last yr

Thumbnail by patootie
Mesilla Park, NM

Thanks for all the tips here. I also want to tell you that I finally found a way to make space for all the mgs around here.. They needed to be potted up but I don't have too much room after 200+ tomato seedlings, chili seedlings, etc.. so I got the idea from the tomato forum to transplant in styrofoam cups.

I used the 20oz size for the Mgs and they can stay there until they go into the ground.. they are doing quite well too. I upped them from a 8oz cup, more fit on each shelf than the 3 gallon pots. And, they hold about a quart of soil, so that is a good amount. (plus, here is the good part.. a box of 500 20oz cups is 26.00 at Sams) and if they have any in their damaged section, (like here) I got the box for 20.00 with only two cups missing.. what a bargain.

Now the tomatoes go into 6 oz cups for awhile.. these 20ozers are too big for them.

Thumbnail by Gourd

A. That's a great tip. I might try the foam cups for the Clitoria seeds I want to start.
Thanx for sharing.

Jackie

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Gourd question for you....Do you take them out of the cups to plant or cut a whole in the bottom and let the roots grow out planting the whole cup? I have access to 16oz cups and it looks like such a great idea!

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

Ronnie,
I too plant my MGs in Styro cups until they are ready to go in the ground.
All I do is gently squeeze the bottom of the Styro cup and the plant falls out easily.
If the soil is too moist in the cup, I cut a slit down the side to take the plant out so I don't damage the roots.

I'd like to know how Antoinette takes hers out as well.

Emma

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I think I will bring some cups home from work tonight!! Gosh knows I have a lot of planting to do!

Emma or Antoinette do you put a few drainiage holes in the bottom?

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

Ronnie,
Yes most definitely poke holes. They do need to have good drainage.

Emma

Mesilla Park, NM

Ronnie, this is the first time I use styrofoam, this will be another new thing for me this year.

Well guys, I had been using clear plastic cups, and definitely poke holes in the bottom, (I poke the holes after they germinate and right before the first time I water them) they are usually on heatmats with domes on them so they do not need any watering for awhile, so I wait till they need water before making the holes, if you wait too long, they may rott.

When transplanting them out of the plastic cups, they usually slide right out like cupcakes do out of the pans, just squeeze a little bit around the cup and that loosens the soil, everything stays in tact. The nice thing about clear cups at the beginning is that you can clearly see the roots and know when it is time to transplant before they start to get rootbound.

Now, I was thinking about cutting off the bottoms off the styrofoam and planting the whole thing into the ground, it would insulate the plant from heat/cold, etc.

I don't know if it would even work, but can try it with a couple of MGs that are not as important (although I love them all) just as an expierment. I even think that just maybe, these cups are big enough for the life of some of the smaller MGs. I may leave a couple in there for the whole season just to see if it grows normal, or gets stunted some.

Here is one, don't remember which one, but they all look really healthy. What I really like is that I save space until I can get them outside.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Oh there is something else I found yesterday that may be of interest to you all.. those yellow sticky traps??? well, I found these Fly Catchers at Walmart near the mouse traps, etc.. they are REVENGE brand and are a clear plastic, you peel off the paper and what I did is use a hole puncher and hung them around my MGs today, well I did not even finish hanging one and there was a gnat stuck to it. I just checked it and there are about 8 more, it's only been about 4 hours that I put it up.

The price.... 1.88 cents for four and you can cut them in half and make 8.. not bad because they work.

ALso, Garden's Alive has a coupon on their March 2007 catalog with a 25.00 gift coupon that I was going to use to order the yellow sticky traps they have, which are cut into butterfly shapes, 1 package 10 traps for 9.95 (kinda steep) but with the coupon, you could get 8 packs, if you order more than 2 packs they are 8.95 which means you could get 3 packs free (30 traps) but the shipping is 8.95..

Basically, the ones above even not on sale, are a whopper of a deal..

at 1.88 what do we have to lose. I had been using some yellow sticky traps that I had from last years Brugmansia White Fly party..lol

Okay, going to bed now.

TTYL

A.

edited to say:: P.S. will post a photo of these tomrrow

This message was edited Mar 10, 2007 8:16 PM

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

A...Thanks, I was looking to save space too. Gonna give the styro a try this week to get a jump start on the season.

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

I always use styrofoam cups, they are real easy to just squeeeze them gently, and the whole thing comes right out ready to plant. My daylilies, moonflowers, and mgs have done wonderful in the cups. I also, use them when I am rooting plants, they don't have to be watered as often, and are deep enough for some good roots. : )
~Lucy

Mesilla Park, NM

I really like those styrofoam cups, the plants are just thriving..
these were all originally sown in clear plastic 6 oz cups, then transplanted into these last week. So far so good.

Thumbnail by Gourd
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Should I go for the 20 oz. or will the 16 be OK? I have 16 oz. but can get the 20 if need be...

Mesilla Park, NM

Here's a photo of those fly traps, hope they work for those big horse flies..lol, we got a dairy not too far from us (and no screendoors yet).

I cut some to show what you can do, use a holepunch and make them any size you want. They are clear plastic, only one side is sticky. My dogs got their tails on the yellow sticky traps and I had to cut off their hair..lol These say they are good for months.. who knows, this is my first time with them.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Ronnie,
The reason I'm using these is to keep them in these containers until it gets warmer outside and I can put them out. I think they will be alright for another month in these cups, but they sure are growing fast. How long before you can put yours out? It may depend on when you do that, also, you can just keep them in the ones you have, wait and see how fast they grow, then, get bigger cups if you have to.

Here is Chinese Yellow

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Here is one vining out of the cup. This is Rabenda.. this week, I'll stake all of them. They are starting to twine into each other.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

patootie,
I hope you don't mind me adding these photos in here.. here is the clear fly trap I put on last night before posting.

They do work. Hopefully you can see the baby flies (or gnats), I really can't tell the difference yet.. or are they the same thing?

edited to add: went to the website that makes these traps and they sell them for 4.69 a pack.. I can't hardly believe that walmart is selling them for 1.88, I even checked the receipt again. Tomorrow will buy them out.

http://www.roxide.com/flycatchers.html

This message was edited Mar 11, 2007 9:58 PM

Thumbnail by Gourd

A. Of course I don't mind. Everyone is welcome to post their tips here. We all like
to save time, energy and money. If there is an easier way to do something, I want to
know about it. lol

Jackie

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I MUST save thread......thanks....so much knowledge and experience floating around...

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

I think this
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/Gourd_1173655871_767.jpg
is Merremia vitifolia...
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/115624/index.html

TTY,...

Ron

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

thanks, Ron...I have marked 'watch this thread'....

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I agree with bettygail: this has been a great thread. I'm going to be starting my first-ever morning glories this week, and I don't have a lot of space. Individual plastic and/or styrofoam cups sitting in plastic tomato or salad containers may just be perfect for me.

Joanne

Betty Gail and Joanne, In that case, I'm so glad I started this thread. I started not to
cause I'm so long winded but I felt like it might help someone. In yrs past, I have sometimes pulled the vine completely loose from the roots while trying to remove it from the old pot. (Talking about plastic pots If you're using foam or paper cups, this probably won't be a problem.) It is
important to water the glory that you are going to move a few hrs before you transplant. It helps
the roots let go of the side walls. You can also run a case knife or a plastic knife around and down the sides of the pot to loosen. If it's stuck to the bottom of the pot, I run my hand down the side
of the pot till I can get my fingers under the root system and gently loosen.

Antoinette, I forgot to tell you your morning glory's look great. Are you using soil or
a mix?

Jackie

Mesilla Park, NM

Jackie,
Using Jiffy soil less mix for germination, then at transplant, used potting soil.

Ron,
Last year I also grew this same plant (merremia vitifolia) but had to leave it behind. Has anyone got theirs to bloom that you know of? Thanks for the ID also. There is no photo posted in the PlantsDataBase yet, or at least the link didn't show one.

All, By the way, I did not get one gnat until I did the transplanting into regular potting soil. The eggs are probably in the soil mix.

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Gourd - So far no blooms on the Chinese yellow...but if people can get Merrmia tuberosa to bloom >this one shouldn't be any 'harder' than that...

I'm basing my ID on the combination of the area of origin,leaf characteristics and comparison of the blooms from the supplier in China to other photos on the web as well as credible literature and herbaria describing Merremia vitifolia...

I think it is Merremia vitifolia and if I'm off...it isn't by much...this ID is alot closer to what the plant is than anything else previously available on it e.g., >unknown Ipomoea species> 'Chinese Yellow'...and if anyone can 'tweak' the ID any better at some point >bring it...(!)

I've already communicated my strong impression to the suppliers in China...
http://natureproducts.net/Forest_Products/Convolvulaceae/morninggloryyellow.html

Next on the list is that small yellowish one that they have...
http://natureproducts.net/Forest_Products/Convolvulaceae/evening_glory.html

TTY,...

Ron

Mesilla Park, NM

Ron,
I like those flowers there, also the blue one they call Tender Blue, and the pink one with the white star in the center (Tender Love) what are those? You bet I'll be bugging them come fall.

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Ipomoea hederacea...Chinese strain
http://natureproducts.net/Forest_Products/Convolvulaceae/MorningGlory_tenderblue.html

Ipomoea purpurea...Chinese strain...looks like a Tall MG 'lavender-purple'...
http://natureproducts.net/Forest_Products/Convolvulaceae/MorningGlory_purple.html

Ipomoea purpurea...Chinese strain...looks like a Crimson Rambler
http://natureproducts.net/Forest_Products/Convolvulaceae/MorningGl.tenderlove.html

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

So... how many seeds are you putting in each of those 20 oz cups, and how long ago did you sow them?

I'm figuring I shouldn't plant out JMGs until the soil has warmed, probably about when I plant out peppers... ?

I'd like to start some JMGs under the lights, but I don't want them to outgrow their pots too quickly... I'm glad I found this thread before I tried starting them 6 weeks ahead in the 2 inch pots!

Mesilla Park, NM

Ron,
I need to take a closer look at the Crimson Rambler packs I have here.. this is what mine looked like.. in 2004

Hi Critter, nice seeing you here,

I started them off in clear 6-8oz cups on Jan 29 and transplanted them a couple of weeks ago into these cups, they are really growing fast now. I've surrounded most of them with small bamboo sticks, four to a pot to keep the plants contained and compact until it heats up, not necessarily tied to the sticks, so that if I do have to transplant again, they will come out without them being stuck to the bamboo. Sticks and all should slide right out. I have done that with other vines, so technically it should work with these.

You should be fine starting them in 2" pots, but with the 6/8, you extend your transplanting date. Glad this is helping out.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Critter,
I forgot to note how many plants are in these cups. Anywhere from 1 seed that survived me, to 10 seeds (two cups actually have about 10 plants the Joyce Cobb and Rebecca), I had planned to put those in large trellised 15 gallon containers outside on each side of the entrance to the garden. (when I get a garden)..lol

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

From the post at the top of the thread, it sounds like 2 inch pots might only be good for a 2-3 week head start.... with 8 oz cups, maybe I can start 6-8 weeks ahead... and with the bigger cups, sounds like I could start them now (10 weeks ahead). I'll have to look over my seed starting plans and see what I have room for!

Thanks for the additional info! I'm really looking forward to growing more JMG's this year.

:-)

The 2 inch pots were good for me so that I couldn't overwater. lol
Also, I knew I would be potting them up in the 3 inch peat pots so the 2 inch was a good starter
size for me. The main thing for me was not having to disturb the roots-- so moving
them out of the 2 inch was the only time I disturbed the roots. I always pot grow but the larger
cups is a great idea for those of you planting out in the yard.
The funniest thing, when I moved most to the 3 inch peat pots, I still had some
tiny glory's in the 2 inch pots. Theyjust hadn't grown much.
So I moved those into 2 inch peat pots and in a
couple of weeks I moved those into 5 inch pots. I had 5 inch blooms on my Rose Silk
mg even though she was in a 5 inch pot with just enough potting mix to cover the 2 inch peat pot..
lol Here's a pic

Thumbnail by patootie
Mesilla Park, NM

Jackie, Oh boy, that is gorgeous.. so they will bloom anyway? I love it. I wonder if it will affect how many blooms they get being in a smaller pot. Did you notice if there were alot or less compared to the others?

A, there were fewer blooms, being in the smaller pot. Sending this pic to show the pot size
when I had it on the front porch. Also just in case the last pic wasn't the 5 inch pot.
Doesn't matter as these blooms were also 5 inches or more. Carried to the covered porch before a storm and left there. No sun and it still bloomed out. Excuse the hand

Jackie

Edited to say you can see down in the pot that the potting mix is a good 2 inches down from
the top of the rim. Also what are the chances my hand would be the same color as the flower? lol

This message was edited Mar 14, 2007 2:36 PM

Thumbnail by patootie
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

FIVE inch blooms???? Oh, MY! Now I am even more excited about the JMG seeds I'll be starting (I have 'Rose Silk' too).

The JMG seedlings that bluespiral shared with me last year (the ones we think might have been 'Cameo Elegance') made beautiful flowers, but the blooms were mid-sized.... even so, that picotee edge and the pretty foliage were enough to convince me that I *had* to have more JMGs this year!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I have started 25 mixed morning glories seeds in those little peat pellot things. In 36 hours, 17 have sprouted. I thought I could just lift the peat pellets and put them in large paper pots and let the mgs keep growing. Is this possible?

Second, when I go to T & M seeds, they discuss morning glories in pots and baskets. I can understand pots - because you just put in some form of trellis - but have you ever used mgs in baskets? Do they trail downwards, or keep trying to grow upwards?

I have four baskets for the front veranda that need to be filled . . . mgs might look nice! - but is it possible?

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

Seandor,
Certain varieties are going to be better in baskets than others...for example: Minibar Rose (Cameo Elegance) and Kikyu Saki are good choices. Some of the branches will trail down even though they don't like it, but they will also climb up the rope or chain that is hanging the basket.

I think Cameo Elegance/Minibar Rose is a dwarf but it is lovely. I have seeds of that I've never
grown, so maybe this yr. Here is another shot of Rose Silk, the bloom so large, it couldn't stay open all the way. In fact, that's why I held my hand under the last pic. Taken the same time as the last one. I hope it's a clear shot, I didn't dblcheck.

Thumbnail by patootie
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Beth, thanks for that tip... Cameo Elegance is going in a hanging basket this year! And since I can always tuck a few more plants in my indoor baskets, I'm going to start a few seeds right away. :-)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thank-you BrindleweedBeth - of course! The mgs will climb up the chain holding the basket. I bet that looks lovely - Does anyone have pictures?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.