Mini NW Round Up

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Okay, there were only two of us, but I finally got to meet Daisyruffles! It was like old home week and I don't think we quit yakking for 5 hours straight. Carol has so much enthusiasm for gardening, I was sure she was going to haul me to Home Depot to get a drip irrigation system before the day was out and way before I have my next dahlia bed carved out of the wilderness. Carol, I hope your trip back to OR went well and that you missed any nasty traffic. We have to get a group together for a trip to Swan Island 2007. That's all there is to it. It was great to finally meet you!

Thumbnail by Poochella
Eureka, CA

I wanna play! I'm just a bit too far south, though I'm planning on a meet and greet with you both!

Sanna

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL LOL LOL
Annie!!!
Yep, she even took that very nice pic of us with her one arm, LOL Her husband stopped by for lunch and we forgot to have him take the pic so we did it ourselves, LOL

Yeah, we sure did talk for 5 hrs. I had a great time at Annie's. She is so easy to talk with and we talked about everything..............................

And

What a place she has there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got:

a great tour of her gardens,
got to walk down to the Issaquah creek with her and Rocky (her pooch),
she cooked a GREAT meal of chicken chili with corn bread,
then for desert we had choc. fudge ice cream with fresh blueberries (YUM), and
walked all around her place looking at where she had and will have all those dahlias.

Yep, I told her the drip irrigation would save her so so so much time. I told her if I can put one together, she can do it. I would love to take her to HD to get the stuff!!!
She had plans for a new bed so needs that backhoe someday. LOL

Saw a beautiful senior picture of her daughter. She is so so pretty!

Met her husband. Not a bad looking guy and very nice, LOL But really..................

Met a few of her kitties too.

She showed me where she stored her dahlias. Great place to store them in the back of her garage with this separate area with solid doors. I was envious!
Looked a few tubers that were rotting. Couldn't figure out why either. She says she has lost quite a few this year so that is really too bad.

I got to get some of her perennials plants that she had dug up for me. What a sweetie!
Then of course, she had some dahlias for me!!!

I really, really enjoyed the visit and sure hope we can get together more!
We must meet in August at Swan Island! Everyone else is more than welcome to come too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do want to thank you very much, Annie, for your nice hospitality! Great food, company, and tours!
Got home just fine. Hwy 18 was a great way to go. Lots of traffic but cars just kept moving. Stopped at my son's in Portland for 1/2 hr to drop off those contacts, LOL He looked wiped out. Big anatomy test on Thurs. But was good to see him for a few mins.
Got home to so many things blooming already! Couldn't believe it! Tulips, more daffs., more hyanthis (sp?), etc........

Sanna, come on up to Oregon or WA then. Eureka isn't that far away!

Mendy, if you are reading this, I got your tubers from Annie!

Carol

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I can't believe you two hadn't met before. Pooch you're looking as blonde as usual I see. Carol I've heard about your secret mission there already ;)

sp

This message was edited Mar 14, 2007 8:05 AM

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Secret mission???

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Okay, so Carol is more blonde, but I have longer arms. Yeah, what secret mission, Al? To steal away with your Taratahi Ruby? LOL You'll get one, I promise. Carol just got here first. It was a great visit and I'm glad we didn't get rained on. She didn't take nearly enough perennials, darn it. And the cornbread was really bad, Carol is just being nice LOL. We were yapping while I was making it: not a good combo when measuring!

Sannajane and anyone else: let's keep an eye on the Swan Island open house schedule and plan a rendezvous. There's nothing like seeing dahlias in person to decide on those Must Haves.

Carol, you have to get up here in August or September when things are in bloom- much nicer vista and warmer too! But I was really glad to finally meet you. Anytime you want to bring your spare energy to clean up my woods, grab a chainsaw and head over.

Aptos, CA

So great to "see" you two!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

You two look up to trouble. I know that Daisyruffles, she is a sweetheart and Annie you two look like a great time. Yes, Swan Island next August.

Chicago, IL

Oh, I love that portrait. Couldn't have found happier looking pals. Yummm. The food sounds good too.
:-D Such joy coming through your posts.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, howdy Joann and Mone, good to see you guys finally! LOL

Ok, will fess up on the cornbread. It was kind of flat but it sure tasted just fine to me. Who cares what it looked like, I just like good food anyways, LOL

Annie, I would love to help you with chainsawing. I used to do that a lot when we had our land. Also in the Forest Service years ago...........................

I can't wait to see your place when everything is blooming, Annie. I have seen pics but nothing beats the real thing.

Ok, August Dahlia NW RU sounds good to me. So let's all plan on it. Will have to look at the Swan Island Dahlia website to see when they will have their open house. Don't want to do the Labor weekend tho. Too many people on the road and etc., so let's do the first weekend they have the open house.

Carol

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm in.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

In where, LOL
Are you coming, Marsha??? If so, great. The more, the merrier!

Eureka, CA

Sounds wonderful! I had been looking at the Swan Island site just yesterday, and dreaming about maybe making the trip! So this is a good incentive for a meet and greet!

Eureka, CA

***bump***

Let's get some planning going! K'?

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL sannajane.
Fine, you start the planning and we will follow, LOL
Geez, you are in hurry for summer, aren't you, LOL LOL

With my dahlias from being overwintered, trying to send up green shoots all over the yard, I am impatient too but...............it is still spring..................LOL

But yes, we do need to plan this.
Carol

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

What is summer?

Aptos, CA

Oh gosh I would love go to Swan Islands Open house...I don't see how I can as I will be in the thick of growing and preparing for our Dahlia Show...bummer...perhaps a Winter Roud Up?? haha

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh, sudhira, I would love to meet you! When is your big dahlia show then?
granny, LOL yeah, we had summer yesterday at 80 deg. here but today it wasn't nice really.

Aptos, CA

You know I toyed with the idea of traveling to Grants Pass ( where we have our little second home ) and then traveling to Canby for SWI open house...but then I found out that Canby is almost 5 hours from GP? I would have to camp in Canby somewhere...sure is tempting...

This message was edited Apr 8, 2007 7:43 AM

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hey, you could stay with me if you want. I am like an hour south of SI. Just an idea!
Carol

Aptos, CA

Carol, How kind...but I would have an entourage with me...plus, I can't see leaving my blooms that long...plus getting time off work etc etc etc...This year I will have to just enjoy photos...

Thanks a Bunch for the offer!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL Ok. The offer is always here if you want.
I understand about the blooms tho. It is hard to leave flowers in the summer time. I know. Who is going to water them???

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

I just popped in when I saw NW / I put in a mess of dahlias yesterday, and a few more to do in the front today.

*****Just had to comment, that picture is so darn cute!

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

That Pooch is such a sweet thang.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2007 11:26 AM

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I may be asking a dumb question, but who is who in the picture..I haven't seen pics of either of you before...it sounds like you had a great time....I really enjoy having others come and visit my gardens and dig some things to take home too! It is such fun!

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Pooche is the one on the right--she seems to be in the midst of saying something........

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks! It is always nice to put a face with a name!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Redtootsiepop, you planted your dahlias already? I kind of been wanting to but then my ground isn't ready. Since DI is up I figured maybe a person could plant/ Carol, daisy, what do you think of planting this early? I usually wait till May but then May isn't too far off. Joann

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yep, Pooch/Annie is a cutie, LOL She was talking a mile a minute like I was when we met, LOL

Hi Joann, You should see how many dahlias that are coming up from my overwintered ones in the garden. I am amazed!
As for planting now, sure.
But it really depends upon the soil! If good drainage, fine. But if not, I would wait another week or 2.
I have raised beds so................plus good soil on top of the rotten soil, LOL

Carol

Eureka, CA

Some of mine are coming up!! Both in containers and in my raised beds.... so jazzed! (Okay, I know, my climate is pretty temperate....)

Sanna

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Great, Sanna. It is a good feeling watching the green shoots of any plant come up this spring, isn't it? I love it! Especially after the crazy winter we had.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Yep, they are in the ground... I've planted them at this time in the past with no problems... but then I leave mine in the ground year round and have never had problems. Do you pull yours up in the fall and store?

I'm interested what others do, I haven't had any die on me yet - which is one of the reasons I love them so much, plant once and done!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh, yah, I dig every year except for the DI. My ground is heavier than some and I am afraid I would lose a lot to rot.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

What a great photo!!!

good to see you two hanging out and I assure you both that you are both more blond than I....lol.

what fun it must have been to get together...

the very best to you both,
don

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL Don, very good to see you alive again, LOL

Yep, blondes are the best, LOL

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

What a great photo of the two of you!! Looks like you had a great time.

Hmmmm.....after the frost we had Thursday night, I would think it is still too early to plant the dahlias. When will winter ever end????

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I'm moving this thread up to get away from all those California models in the other post by Sudhira who claims to be the mother of a grown child and a grandma! What a pack of beauties!

Plus: about the NW roundup: that August weekend is our anniversary so that is iffy, especially since it's our belated 25th. Labor Day would be better for me. Are there any other weekends or are those our only two choices? Or maybe we could do an anniversary trip to Oregon! Two birds with one stone: hubby will golf and I'll do dahlias??????

Aptos, CA

This is my beloved Granddaughter...Makaila...an Oregonian no less...decorating cookies in our "cottage house"

Thumbnail by sudhira
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I was just suggesting another weekend due to Labor weekend traffic. That is the only reason, Annie. There are tons of golfing in OR. Actually, there are a few just nearby SID in Canby.
You can view the fields anytime. Just won't be able to see their huge, great bouquets, etc.

Cute grandkid, Sudhira!

Aptos, CA

Dang I wish I could come play with you folks...hhhhhhhmmmmmm...sure sounds like fun!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.