Surprise, surprise

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

HEY HEY HEY
I found another shoot on the back side. I never saw it before. Geez, the color of the shoot is kind of brown/burgandy so it seems to blend in with the mulch, LOL

So....................I will have so far 2 stems/stalks coming along!!!
I put some perlite around the shoots to keep those darn slugs/snails away, I hope.
Carol

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I have a second shoot on the big plant too! But it had 3 stems last year so I expect more.

All 3 in the greenhouse now have shoots, two with 2 shoots, and the fastest with 3.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, Janet those are looking fantastic.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Janet, you have a virtual DI Forest going there- nice work! I'm still staring at dirt and nothing but dirt.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, Janet. You sure are ahead with leaves and all!
Quit watching that pot, Annie, LOL LOL You know a watched pot won't boil or whatever the saying is.....................you will come along. I am sure of it. It is just cooler your way!

The one I left in a pot by the east wall isn't growing yet, perhaps I need to put it in the greenhouse, it was the biggest I grew but isn't getting enough sun.

Now I will have to find places all over the garden to bury some of them, or all of them, I'll be removing grass! The more plants I have the more chances!

Joann, I bet yours are taller than that!

Annie, perhaps you need to put yours in a warmer spot? I'll bet yours ends up taller and with buds!

Carol you seem sure to get buds even if they do get frozen, I doubt if I will get buds EVER as last year was unusually hot with a mild autumn, frosts usually come by mid October.

I still have hopes though, who knows! Mine is now established in the ground and it just might need to be more mature, but it's those shortening days which are supposed to trigger buds. Our summer days are longer, winter days shorter, but it probably takes longer to get to those shorter days!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I was surprised that I did get buds. My dahlia tree is in kind of a colder spot in my yard. If I grew it up in the front yard, closer to the house, I bet it would have opened up those buds for sure. I am going to have to think about this. I would like one in the front. Hum.................gardening takes so much thinking..................LOL...................and so much lovely work.....................LOL.................but it keeps us sane right????

You will have to grow some spares to put in different places!

Oh yes, gardening keeps us INsane for sure! Today it's hot, yesterday I was frozen, but at least I can do something even if I cook!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.