It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

Weed or poppy? I. D. Issue

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi all,

Let me first say I started growing poppies last year and I adore them. I winter-sew seeds each year with moderate sucess. They are tough to establish!

My problem is the plant pictured below has invaded a new bed I prepared last year. I intended for it to be a bearded Iris border, but instead it was full of this plant. I didn't let any of it bloom; I took it for a weed and cut back what I could. but someone on the I. D. forum says it's Celandine (Chelidonium majus). If so, than Celandine forms a hairy, perennial, basal rosette that is looking healthy despite the freezing temps! It also seems to form aggressive underground rhizomes. I found no mention of these characteristics on the web anywhere (just pictures of the mature plant). Since Celandine is a poppy, I thought it could be IDed positively here. Thanks for your help!
-Melissa

Thumbnail by Jax4ever
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Melissa,
I'm quit sure this is a young Chelidonium majus plant!
You can test it by checking whether there comes out an orange plant sap when you break a leaf stem.

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Why is it so invasive?

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Because the conditions for it to grow must be ideal.
It is a pioneer plant that naturally occurs in light woods along rivers, and in walls. It likes nitrogen-rich alkaline soil in shadowy places.
If you don't let them self seed, they eventually will disappear.
It is easy to pull out. Personally I find it has charms in a natural garden.

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

I just had the opportunity (it has been raining BUCKETS for 4 days) to crush the stems of the above intruder. It does have an orange substance, so Chelidonium it is. Anybody want some? ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.