Trying Something New For Climbing.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Inspiration from Beth and Phicks saying his Gypsy Bride was 10 feet tall made me realize I need something new for MG to climb on.

I used the stakes I bought to anchor the pot into the ground then surrounded the pot with wire fencing, twist tying it together. Because I have mutant junkie squirrels that could fit through the holes in the fencing, I ran a sort of lattice just above the seedlings and at the top with twist tie wire. Inbetween the holes in the fence I wove cotton thread.

Last night we had a thunderstorm with lots of wind and it seemed to survive that ok. I'll give it about 4 days to see if the squirrels can get into it. If the system works then I'll put everything outside.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

hi..thats what i use for pole beans and such in the garden

pamsue

more like a tall tpost then wire fencing wrapped around it and they grow on the outside of the wire instead of inside and i put a birdhouse on top of the tpost if i am growing ornamental vines..not for the pole beans, tho

This message was edited Apr 20, 2007 9:45 AM

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'll end up directing these to grow on the outside and around instead of straight up.

X

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

Looks like that should work fine! I'm sure glad I don't have to worry about deer or squirrels where I live. I did have a little bunny come by one year and munch on every vegetable seedling I planted.

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

I hear you about getting the vines to climb across and not up. I`m not exactly into climbing ladders, tall structures or trees. I lowered the fencing against the wood fence between my and my neighbors property so I wouldn`t have to ask for permission to go harvest "my" seeds...in their back yard. LOL :)

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Watched a squirrel studying the pot. He just kind of walked around it a few times and left. I imagine he's planning his attack for later and calling in reinforcements.

X

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

If that doesn`t do it you could try a smaller inner cage with the wire bent inward toward the center. That worked to keep my cats from using my pots for a toilet.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

That's a good idea .. if the squirrels are successful in breaching this one.

X

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

So far so good .. squirrels haven't been able to breach the cage!

X

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.