Quisqualis indica COMBRETACEAE - Rangoon Creeper

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

You can tell when the temperatures are staying on the warm side when the Rangoon Creeper starts blooming.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

close up

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It has alot of blooms this year.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Rj, your vine is beautiful. I've cut mine way back because the top of it looks so dead. My plant looks ugly even though it's put out some new growth.

Jackie

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks...
I always cut mine in Feb. I take out most of the leaved branches, most are scruffy looking by then anyway. This gives it the opportunity to focus on new growth.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Quit posting those rangoon creeper pictures Rj. . . I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE and I have a big shovel and it's going to come home with me especially if mine doesn't bloom this year!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

ROTFLOL!!!!...I'll help ya!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Gorgeous!!! Vine jealousy as usual!
:) Donna

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

May14

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Just keep tempting me . . . you were warned!!!!

My (pregnant) niece went to the hospital around 10:30 last night; she was scheduled to be induced this morning which they have done; still no word yet so guess Baby Ethan has not arrived yet.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh wow... I wondered why I was D mail less!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Randy, this is my all time favorite plant!!!!!! I first met you on line when I was describing a good friend's guest quarters in West University that has this plant trimmed closely all over the brick..................you all gave me such a hard time back then.....now you don't scare me at all (tee hee)......
Yours is fantastic.....
gail

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL..hahahhaa...Did I really!? slap me silly.
Sorry about that, that must have been in my young and foolish days...now they're just foolish days..:)
Ironically a friend of mine was describing something similar to me- he's seen a place with the rangoon neatly grown up on the bricks. It actually sounds quite nice.
I have this one hanging on a chain at a corner of the house. It's finally taking off!
If your every in the Heights, come visit...now that I'm not scarry any more!

Moody, TX(Zone 8a)

RJ could you please tell me what you fertilize yours with? Is it an acid lover?
Patsy

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning, JR!!!! Have a great day with your beautiful tropicals!!!
gail

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

There's my partner in crime (gail). Don't you just want to sneak to Houston and hijack Rj's rangoon creeper. Mine is growing this year, but not a single bloom as of yet. I've got to get me some more hibiscus fertilizer I guess.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Patty, when school is out we can be partners in crime again!!!!! My good friend is coming in this weekend and stay until tueday................she is a cane begonia nut..............we will be taking cuttings and potting up begonias all weekend, plus I am very excited that I will be getting new material in a trade with an African violet family DGer!!!
As the plaque reads in my kitchen:
Life is a choice
1.Clean house
2. Plant plants
See 'ya in the garden!!!

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I think I need one of those plaques--sure does apply to me.

Have fun this weekend with your friend. I am going to the Mercy Me concert on Saturday and may be running to Corpus and shop a bit with my sister in the morning (Saturday).

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I almost bought a ticket (our church has 8 left in a big block from the church), but when I found out that Betty Lou was coming in, I backed out.....It will be a fabulous concert....They are too good!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

You forgot #3 ..come visit me

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Is #3 coming to your house with a shovel? :o)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks guys,
Patsy..I will send you this link, I have all the info in my Diary. There are alot of vines in there, but scroll down to the bottom, you'll find the Rangoon creeper. I have the fertilzer, the NPK, where to get it, and other things I do.
http://davesgarden.com/journal/ed/index.php?tabid=2950

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Yep I do believe it is . . . so when Rj shows back up later on this summer crying about his missing STOLEN rangoon, you guys remind him it's his own fault for tempting me so . . .

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Uh huh...and when the alarm goes off an bright lights turn on...you'll be forever known as Patty Rangoon, noted dime store clerk and fem fatele!

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

You never mentioned an alarm . . . nevertheless alarms can be disarmed . . . if not I'll bring a bottle of roundup . . . if I can't have a blooming rangoon then no one will!!!!!! hahahahaha

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey, RJ!

Ya know, I think I have made a mistake with my RC. I planted it in a spot that receives a lot of sun now BUT, last year I planted a vitex, not 4' away from it, being trained into a tree. I think that in the next few years, the vitex is going to shade it horribly and I won't get those magnificent blooms. Do you think I should move the RC? Would it make a transport?

Thanks!
Kristi

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Kristi,
naaa... I don't think you need to move it. It will creep to get what it needs. I had one in the back garden that survived with spectacular bloom cycles on 4 hours of full sun. I think almost important as good sun exposure is established roots of the RC.

This one here is getting into the summer shade zone with trees and the sun traveling straight overhead. It's blooming 4 times as much as last year...it's been there about 2 1/2 years now..

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

OK....call a spade a spade..................I am jealous that you have this gorgeous plant................

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

aah...it's been a couple of years since I had one bloom this profusely. I've learned since the first one died, and have a couple of them growing in back, in case....

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The part you don't see is it's creeped all the way accross the front porch to the driveway..and is blooming along there too.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The way it's hanging from the chain, it can be viewed from my living room windows too.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Randy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you rubbing it in????????????????? Just teasing you!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

No Mercy...LOL....now actually my eyebrows are a bit raised, as I quite wasn't expecting this on the first spring bloom...

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

BITE ME!!!!! You are rubbing it in and you know it!!!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Now don't you two just seem a little teouchy this mornin? Now don't tell anyone that someone was rubbing flowers in your face..they just might have a chuckle or two, but I doubt pity would be on the list....

You need to bring Gail up here on a "field trip". Actually...it's my turn to come there!

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

touchey you say . . . what do you expect from a hard working school teacher who has 6 days til freedom and the kids are bouncing off the walls . . . hahahahahaha Next week will be wild and I'll be scrambling around trying to get signed out for the summer. Have to work not this Saturday but next Saturday; it is a work day for teachers.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Rj, your creeper is gorgeous. Most impressive one I've ever
seen.

Jackie

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I thought you'd appreciate that Teacher.

Thanks Jackie, DMJ Deb has pretty great blooms on hers too.
It all starts with the trimming...FEB 5th, nearly allof the leafy branches were removed from the main vine/trunk

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I just pray mine looks as beautiful as yours one day! She's a newbie, planted last June.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.