Houston (and surrounding area) meetup/swap meet

Houston, TX(Zone 10a)

Who is interested? I'm sort of new on here, and have been stuck in an apartment for the past year and a half... Boy are they glad to be getting rid of me. I had taken over a whole corner with containers full of plants. Been slowly moving them to a house in Spring Branch area since January and things are starting to grow in and flourish (despite the wonky weather we've been having- uh freeze in march huh?!). I've been trying to contact other Houstonians (and those nearby) on here, to see who would be interested. Although it seems like there may be an easier way to get everyone on the same page...literally with a thread. So Are there usually meetups / seed swaps / plant swaps here in this huge city??? If not then why not? Who would like to pitch in info and make one? Also there is this nursery tour thing I've been reading they are having in Austin..That's quite a drive, This town has population in the millions so why not get together? We might could meet up at an urban harvest community garden or an arboretum so we wouldn't have to rent a place out. Like I said I'm new and open to ideas. So far Urban Harvest has been my main way to meet up with other Houston gardeners (outside of DG and cyberspace of course).
~Lisa

This message was edited May 21, 2007 10:10 PM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

There was a plantswap @ Mercer Park on April 21.
Another one in Ft Bend March 31.
One @ Galveston County Park May 12.
But as far as just Houston or inside, say, the Beltway, I haven't heard of one & I'm not new to DG.
I'm leaving Wed for the Indy 500 but will be back on the 30th & I would be interested. Heck, I'm always interested!
:~)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Manic, I echo Smockette's post; I'm always interested in talking plants and meeting gardeners!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I'd definitely be interested.

I had considered having one here but my house isn't ready right now. I'd love to all meet up at a park or somewhere. We could all bring a dish and plants and finally get to put faces with names (for those of who were unable to make it to the RU).

Where was the Ft. Bend get together in March? I would have loved to have gone.

My vote is YES!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

kristi, the ft bend one is somewhere in Mo. City. There is also a swap by Sugar Land G C, which is great but limited to club members. And I promise you, they have people policing whether you're a member or not, lol.

Then PlantMeet group also has another swap in the fall (October, I think) at Mercer Arboretum Park, which is super.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Manic - I'm in SW Houston, and there's an Urban Harvest garden close to the southwest corner of the loop that I've been thinking of volunteering in when I retire.

I'm a member of Urban Harvest, but haven't made it there or to the classes to meet anyone. I went to the fall RU, but couldn't go to the spring one, either knolan.

My vote is yes as well! It would be fun to meet up and talk about Houston gardening challenges and victories. Especially the victories!

Houston, TX(Zone 10a)

Glad to know someone else has heard of them, I feel like they had a huge hand in raising me.. I was on my own at 16. I worked in the community gardens so I could eat. Now over a decade later I feel like I have something to give back to them. So I sell extra plants or veges or herbs at their organic farmers market and sub teach in the school gardening classes. When I'm not running off to an appointment for my own business. They make me feel a sense of home, so does being in the garden. Also whenever someone does volunteer to work in the garden, you take home fresh dinner for the night ;)

Also I'd like to thank the rest of Ya'll who have responded, and so quickly might I add. I'm glad to know Ya'll are interested and open to it. It seems by the time I figured out how to manuever the forums the roundup had passed me by. The pics looked like Ya'll had a great meetup. I'm hoping to be done moving by mid June. So

I was thinking maybe to plan it at the end of June beginning of July? Good gatherings usually need at least one month to properly plan. A potluck in the park sounds great ! Maybe if we could get a running list of who all is going to be there, we could make enough cuttings of our fave plants to share with everyone, or tradelists for eachother or something along those lines? If it were only 6 or 7 of us I wouldn't mind hosting it at the new house. It's not the biggest house, but it'll be home by then.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Vossner, that's funny - the SLGC SWAT team, heh? I've thought about signing up but haven't gotten around to it.

Manic - I think you've got a great idea. A few of us in the Houston area tossed the idea around a few months ago and I offered to do it here but I'm just not prepared to do it at my house right now. Too much summer commotion and everyone running in a million directions (with me getting them there). If you guys pick a date and time, I'll try my hardest to make sure I clear the schedule for some ME time. Heeheehee.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Manic, don't want to highjack your thread, but if the group looks to be larger than you'd like to host at your home, I'll volunteer. I'd be glad to have it at my house if the group doesn't go much above 20, more than that we'd probably need to try the park. I'm on the west side, just a few blocks off Beltway 8 at Westheimer, so it'd be easy to get to. At least we'd have air conditioning, which at a park, in June, might be tough not to have. The list idea is good, so we can tell how many plan on coming. Guess once you set the date, we can start the sign up list. After we see how many plan on attending, we can confirm location??? That sound good?

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

Have been reading along but saying nothing as I have been laid up periodically for the last year and half and don't know when this siege will be thru but hopefully soon :>)) . I would love to be part of this group. Altho I have been a gardener a long, long time I feel like a babe in the woods compared to the rest of you who have so much knowledge. I have gardened for fun and really not learned much except by the seat of my pants (or the dirt on my hands and elsewhere). Let me say I would love to join you but my participation is iffy so I'll just say save me a place just in case.

Ann

Houston, TX(Zone 10a)

How about the 21st of July? Would that work for Ya'll?

That should give us time to get any cuttings rooted and make sure to stay ahead of someone else booking our time up... I was thinking earlier in july.but we have the weekend of the fourth, then i have to work the next weekend... so how does the weekend of the 21st work for Ya'll?? I'm hoping by planning it further in advance we can have a little more flexibility.

By wanting to set this up I am by no means claiming to be any kind of expert. Just thinking if we can all get together maybe we could all teach eachother something new? Meet others that have similiar interests in person :)? Have fun? Do something we want ? Swap cuttings?

Also no worries of 'thread hijacking' hahaha If 20 would fit more comfortable at your place then so be it. So far the llargest gathering at my new house has been about 10 and that was comfortable. I do Agree air conditioning would be nice in the Houston Summer. Even now when I'm out 'playing in the dirt' I keep my hair wet most of the time to stay cool enough.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That dates works for me. Count me in. We'll decide where after we see how many are going to show. If it becomes too large for either of our homes, my subdivision has a club house we can likely use. I need to check on the rules on using that, but we will wait until we see numbers on who's attending. OK, everyone chime in and let us know if you think you can make it.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Sign me up! I don't know that I have anything to swap, but I'd love to meet y'all. I'm new to Texas and Houston (only 3 years), AND new to gardening (just started this year), so I really need to go there and just absorb! July 21st works for me.

And, if we want to make this a periodic thing, I can offer my house for a future event as well. I'm in Sugar Land, so also SW side of Houston, but we've got a fair amount of room. Bought it as a fixer upper so we've still got a lot of work to do, but maybe by next year I'd be ready!

Valerie

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Count me in for the 21st!

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

It sounds like ya'll are going to have a great time and great swap. I have only one suggestion. If you set up a thread that is only for trades info and use this thread for conversations, you'll have a much easier time keeping up with who has what and who's bringin' what. Houston is a bit far forme to travel, but I'm sure there's enough people down there for a good swap.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm in, too! Where in Spring Branch are you moving to, Manic? We're off of Kempwood.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Ok, it's on my calendar for July (HOT) 21st. I just dress for Texas hot summers, so don't get any ideas otherwise! lol
I have plenty of fans & extention cards, if outside has shade. Just a thought!
Catching a big bird to the Indy 500 tomorrow but will be back next Thursday. Will try to get online while I'm gone, just to keep up.

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

This sounds like fun! I'd love to meet everyone. I will check and make sure we have nothing going on that weekend before I confirm.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Have a great time at the race, Smockette. :-)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Silverflutter, thanks for that suggestion on the second thread listing trade items. I can see where that would make things a lot easier to keep tabs on.

Here's a link to sign up indicating you plan to attend and you can also list any plants you will be bringing for trade or any you would like to recieve in trade. Discussions, questions and answers will remain here.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/726156/

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

We need to let Gymgirl and Bubba know.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone. We're alreay got 7 people signed up on the other thread. No lists of trade items yet, but even if we don't have any trades, it'll be great to meet the locals and put faces with names!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't know Bubba, but I just dmailed Gymgirl. Might be a great time to trade fall tomato seedlings... anyone else into tomatoes?
As it looks right now, I'll be there, too!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I'M HERE!!!!

YA'LL GOTTA BUILD A MUCH BIGGER STATE TO LOSE THIS LOUISIANA GIRL IN TEXAS!

shouting? who's shouting.....?

Can we incorporate the pot luck aspect to this gathering, like we were discussing before? Somebody still wants greens and ham hocks...

Oh, and IMHO, I agree with limiting the number to 20 for this gathering (that was partially in progress already)....much do-able for the cooks...

Don't know BUBBA? Who doesn't know BUBBA? Don't worry, I'll let BUBBA know. I'll send him the link in a minute.

Sent BUBBA the link....

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I think Bubba already posted he plans to attend on the other thread, if that's the same Bubba. In Texas there's a lot of Bubbas! When I worked in Holland for a couple of years, some of the guys in the office had names I couldn't pronounce, not even close, so I called everyone whose name I couldn't pronounce Bubba and told them I was making them an honorary Texan by doing that!

I'm still for the potluck too Gymgirl. Depending on the number of people and where we wind up having this, maybe we could try things that didn't have to be heated???? Fruit and cheese trays, veggies & dip, salads, sandwiches, chips, drinks, etc. Although, those ham hocks and greens sound really good! Maybe you should bring that and we'll eat it after everyone else leaves!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Those greens and ham hocks for me, Gymgirl? Yummy, yummy!

I'd bet if everyone brought a dish we really wouldn't need to limit the number (think of all the great folks we could be missing by doing so). If it gets too big, maybe Crowelli's club house would work. Let us know if there's a fee and we could all chip in.

I'm going to start a bunch of new cuttings and I'll post them on the trade list after I see that they've taken well.

Bookworm, I'm all for a tomato seedling trade. Love those babies.

Jospehine and Silverfluter, it would be wonderful if you could come down and join us!

I'm going to let Fly_Girl and Ceejay know too. Can't have a party without them.

Kristi

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Vossner, if you go, I'd be happy to pick you up since you're so close. You too, Digigirl. I'm in SL, too.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm in for the potluck, too.

Knolan, that would be great! Let's arrange to carpool one way or another. Might as well conserve gas, right?

I'm near Hobby Airport. Can I ride w/somebody? Course ya'll will have to tolerate the smell of greens and hamhocks...

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

If any of y'all that are planning on coming to this and have, or have access to, a pink porterweed, I'll pay you to kidnap one for me! If you have to dig it up from a neighbor's yard, I promise not to reveal where I got it!

Right now, the number of people still isn't huge. I'm going to check on the rules for use of the subdivision club house any way, just in case. I'm still hoping we can have it here at my house or at MysticRealty's place, but we've still got a while until July so the numbers could climb.

Oh, I'm trying to get some stuff rooted, and I'll post a list when I see what takes.

This message was edited May 23, 2007 11:20 AM

Missouri City, TX

DW and I will attend. Not sure of what plants will be available, but will be happy to supply some munchies.
I love sampling / supplying cheeses and crackers. Will add some cold cuts.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I'll bring a dessert for the potluck. Any requests? I love to cook, so I'm game to try anything, even if I haven't done it before. So, if there's anything that's especially desired, let me know.

Valerie

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

If anyone would like to come from mont Belvieu area or Baytown I can drive or I can help with gas. my truck onlt gets 18 miles per gal. BUT we could fill the truck. It is a king cab. Has 2 small side seats so it would fit me and 3 more.

BANANA PUDDING!!!! Did I get my order in first???!!!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Lol. Sounds like a plan, Gymgirl!

This message was edited May 23, 2007 2:16 PM

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Houston, TX

hi all
yes please save me a spot.. sounds like blast... crowelli, will start you a pink porter weed. i have never rooted one before but will get it going and see what happens.
i have to be honest here and tell you all i need to play it by ear as i have bad foot... i busted it badly before christmas, have had two major surgeries already and looking at possibly a third as it is still fractured...yep really did a number on it! anyway have had use the cane, walker and cruthes and am wearing this boot that is sooo hot.. so can not give a definate yes here at this time. if the group will have a limit, i will pass up this time and hope there will be another soon.
ham hock? what is this :-)
happy day to all and thanks manic reality for a great idea.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

GymGirl - I'm probably on your way to west Houston! Meet me here, and let's go together. I love the smell of hamhocks and ANYTHING!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.