Trying to get ID's on my Coleus Collection

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I remember when I first signed up on Dave's and was looking around, I saw this forum and thought you all were out of your minds with your coleus collections. I've been making many containers of plants this year and found the coleus really add pizazz to them. So, yes, I've joined the throng of coleus lovers.

I went out this morning and took photos of each of them. I would like to label them in my screen saver photo album so I will remember the names of what I have already. As you all know, there are so many different kinds of coleus. I really don't want to have to look through thousands of photos to see what I have. I'm hoping you all will be able to help me put names with them.

Thank you all in advance for any help you can give me.

Janet

Here's #1

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

"Carefree"

This message was edited Jul 1, 2007 5:38 PM

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

"Tilt-A-Whirl"

This message was edited Jul 1, 2007 5:39 PM

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

"Rustic Orange"

This message was edited Jul 1, 2007 5:50 PM

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Good Lord!!! I had no idea there were that many of them!!!

Thank you for the warm welcome Sidney. I went to that site just before I started this thread and saw that they were all in alphabetical order. It just seemed very overwhelming to me to see sooooooooo many of them. I'll go check it out again.

Janet

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi Janet! You certainly have some beauties there. I don't have time as I'm just doing a drive-by posting, but I'll be back later to look more. Welcome and don't be a stranger around here.

One question.....how long have these been outside? Many coleus won't show their true color til they've been outside the greenhouse/housr for awhile.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Brinda. I've really enjoyed collecting them.

They've been outside since I bought them. No greenhouse here.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Another quick driveby posting!

#1 thru 5 looks like Wizard Mix
#6 looks like Carefree
#7 looks like Tilt-A-Whirl

Sidney is really good at IDing.....or maybe someone else will look. I'm sure if Chris was here he'd know all of them. But I'm betting that he's gearing up for a huge weekend.

BBL to look some more.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Brinda. I appreciate your help.

I went to the site Sidney listed earlier again and when I click on the photos to enlarge them it doesn't seem to work for me. I'll start looking through the plant files here tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Janet

Almere, Netherlands

Hi,
#6 is not a Carefree seedling, it is 'Jupiter'. At least that is the name used for it in England.

Wouter

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

16,---Sedona--rustic orange
17,---Rainbow mix
18----India frills
21-----Kiwi fern

This message was edited May 23, 2007 4:05 PM

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

I want to know #20! I love it!!!!

#22 could be Eclipse or Elfers. I love it too. Or possibly Florida Sun Rose?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Janet,
The little area on Coleus finder where you choose the leaf shape, the inside color, and then the outer leaf color is where I ID most of what doesn't come labled.
This year I have found many come secretly labled.
Once you find the name be sure and keep it with the plant.
I am sorry I don't have high speed yet and can't take the time to ID these for you.
Sidney

Stockholm, Sweden

#18 is India Frills aka Wisley Tapestry
#20 looks similar to my Curly Specles from Baker's Acres
#21 is Kiwi fern

#16 is probably not Sedona because this doesn't have a yellow edge, at least mine hasn't. Maybe it's Rustic Orange, but there are a few lookalikes with these colors.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

OK Folks. I've searched that Coleus Finder until my brain feels scrambled by all of those colors. I went through all 57 pages of them. I was able to positively ID about 10 of them. I found the plant markers for 4 of them in the stack of about 150 markers that I did think to keep.

The one India Frills that several folks have referred to, I thought I was told that was Duck's Foot by the lady at the nursery. I know one of them was DF and I thought that was the one. When I looked up Duck Foot there were quite a few different duck's feet.

I tried using our Plant Files here. One thing I noticed right off the bat was that there are quite a few images with each variety of Coleus and many of
them don't look anything a like. It was more confusing than anything.

After all of this, so far, here's is what I do know (pretty much for sure). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

1 Red Petticoat
3 Wizard Pineapple
4 Wizard Jade
7 Tilt-a-Whirl
9 Stained Glass
10 Say Cheese
14 Crown of Bohemia
15 Trailing Bleeding Heart
16 Sedona (?)
17 Tartan
18 Duck Foot (or India Frills?)
20 Curly Lemon Lime.
21 Kiwi Fern

Thank you all so much for your help with these. I really do appreciate it. I was not looking for any one to do the researching for me, but was hoping that some of you may recognize ones that you have had.

Janet

This message was edited May 24, 2007 5:48 PM

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Janet, Iding Coleus can be nerve racking if not hair pulling,believe me I know so many things can effect the color of your Coleus. Sun,Shade,watering all have an effect on the color.Also I have found that even the best of nurseries will sell what they think is one thing and the next week sell the same thing for something else.Because the Coleus is an everchanging plant sometimes its hard to tell.

expermint take a cutting of the same plant same size and put one in full sun and one in shade after a few weeks you will see for your self the effects.

Pheadra

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Pheadra,

My sister has told me the same thing about some of hers. How the cuttings from the same plant will look totally different depending on where she puts them.

Actually, I realized this myself tonight after reading your post because back in March (or so) I bought several 6 packs of a mixed variety (Rainbow Mix, I think). Tonight, I re-potted 3 smaller containers that I'd originally planted with only coleus. Those containers were small and so were the plants. The leaves were small and because they were in much more sun, were almost washed out. The same 6 pack of plants went into a much bigger container and those have gone wild and crazy with growth. The new container I put those poor pathetic faded out plants in was much bigger. I will keep a watch on them. They were pretty much hidden in another part of the yard, so they escaped my watchfulness, I'm ashamed to say.

After looking through that coleus finder, I can say that there are some really spectacular plants that I'll be on the watch for that I didn't even know existed. (wriggling eyebrows here)

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Janet

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

great looking plants, janet!!!!
I still have tags so iwon't forget this thread in the coming week.....

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Gessiegail.

I have come to love them as much as my "blooming" plants. Who needs flowers when you've got such gorgeous leaves! :-)

Janet

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

There is a gardenia in the center of that pot that was dug up from my front yard. When it came up there were 4-5 plants that needed new homes. The original gardenia was leaning badly, like the Tower of Pisa! I noticed when I viewed that photo full shot that it looks rather sad there and realized that the photo was taken before I trimmed the poor thing back.

This is my first year to try out the sweet potato vines. Those really add a vivid splash of color to containers that I just love!

I am trying to label my photos with the names of the plants so I can look back in the future and remember what the heck I have out there. Since I've joined Dave's a year ago, I've added a whole bunch of new plants to my yard. When I pull them out from wintering next year, I want to remember their names. :-)

I also have a label maker that I can put discrete labels on the containers. This has worked exceptionally well for me with herbs and seeds. My memory just ain't what it used to be.

Janet

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi Janet....sounds like you're having fun!

I hate to burst your bubble about #5 as I know you worked really hard to id most of these. But it isn't Oompah. Here is my Oompah from last year.....the shape of the leaf is different.

Thumbnail by Brinda
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Here's a tad of my Oompah
that over wintered in the front yard.
How big are the leaves on #5? I think it might be Kong Rose.
;)

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.