July 21st West Houston Meet

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This thread is for a "spontaneous meet" idea ManicRealty originated. Some of us in the west Houston area are going to get together for a potluck / meet & greet / trade day on 21st of July. Once we see how many people are interested, we'll decide where to hold it. It's looking right now like location will be west Houston, but that could change. This thread is only to indicate attendance and for the list of things available to trade or things wanted. If you think you'll be able to make it, post here saying so, even if you don't have a trade list. For any questions or discussion of meet, see link:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/725655/

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Count me in!

Smock said count him in, also.
Sas says count her in, too.
Now, PainterAllyn wants to come.

I have:
Gingers
Roses
China Dolls
Hyacinth Bean Vines
Coleus
Pink Buttons
Freckle Face

This message was edited Jun 19, 2007 2:07 PM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I plan to be there, too.

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

My side of town. I'll try to be there.

Ann

edited to say I will bring some kind of good food but don't know yet what I will be in the mood for.
Would like any trees and vines anyone has a start of. I only have seeds as I haven't been well but the plants are flourishing and putting out all kinds of seeds and I have seeds I have received previously that are still viable but I haven't been able to dig and get them in the ground. Have Pride of Barbados, cosmos (yellow and orange but won't be able to guarantee which seeds you will get as they got kinda mixed up when I was gathering them), red/orange butterfly weed, candlestick plant seeds. Would like in particular (if I can be particular) fruit tree babies, sago babies, etc. anything that is already growing because then I can keep the pots around and tend them and then plant them next spring (or fall) - whatever - when I finally get "well"and I'm really looking forward to THAT after over a year and a half. Also, I'm bringing the short Katie Ruella plants, cuttings of the tall Ruella (both purple), plus any of the ugly orange daylilies that anyone wants if they haven't been annihilated by me in the meantime.If anyone has a start of hardy hibiscus or can tell me how to make the seeds grow, I would love a start or instructions. I love those dinner plate size perineals (can't spell) but my last one failed to regrow and I had to leave it behind when we moved but I do have some of its seeds.

This message was edited Jun 7, 2007 3:05 PM

This message was edited Jun 7, 2007 3:52 PM

Missouri City, TX

DW and I could make it - Saturdays are fine, Sundays gotta work.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm in.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I am so glad you guys are getting something together.
Josephine.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Count me in!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Me, too!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Josephine - come on down and join us! :)

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Kristi's List

A couple of things I can say I have for sure are:

Mexican Flame Vine (rooting 4)
Lady Banksia (white) roses (rooting 3) - Shortstuff, UniqueTreasures
Red Crocosmia (will dig up bulbs upon request)
Some various cacti and suculents that I no longer have room for..I'll just bring and ya'll can grab
Stapelia Grandiflora (plenty to share with all)
Turks Cap (will root upon request) - UniqueTreasures
'Bat Face' Cuphea (rooting 2) - Digigirl, ManicReality, Plantlady, Rjuddharrison, Smockette
'Miss Priss' Cuphea (rooting 2) - Manic Reality, Aunt Anne, UniqueTreasures
Pennyroyal (will dig up fo whomever would like)
Mexican Petunia (grow at your own risk...should have plenty of them)
Yellow Bulbine (will dig up for whomever requests), - Aunt Anne
Tangerine Bulbine (will dig up for whomever requests) - Aunt Anne
Elephant Ears (variety unknown - grow at your own risk), (will dig up for whomever requests)
portulacaria afra (a very pretty, heat tolerant jade), will root upon request - UniqueTreasures
monadenium (unknown also but neat), will root upon request - UniqueTreasures
'Fish Hook' succulent (excellent for hanging planters), will root upon request
Almond Verbena (rooting 2) - smockette, manic reality, randy, Anne, Unique Treasures, Margaretx
Purple Porterweed (rooting 2) - shortstuff, digigirl
Pink salvias, very dainty, reseeds all over (will dig up upon request) - Crowelli
Blue Daze, (will root upon request)
Yellow Esperanza, (2 rooting) - Digigirl
Tangerine Esperanza (2 rooting) - Digigirl, UniqueTreasures
Dutchman's Pipe Vine (will try to root upon request) - Manic Reality
Passion Vine 'Incense' (will root upon request) - Bookworm
Passion Vine 'Lady Margaret (will root upon request) - Bookworm
Passion Vine 'Blue Bouquet' (will root upon request) - Bookworm, UniqueTreasures
Clematis 'Violet Charm' (3 plants available) - Digigirl
Kalancho - red (will root upon request)
Pineapple Sage (will root upon request) - Veggiehappy
Sweet Basil (will root upon request)
Culinary Sage (will root upon request) - UniqueTreasures
Lemon Balm (will root upon request)
Loquat tree saplings - Aunt Anne, Manic Reality
Pecan tree saplings
Golden rain tree saplings - Aunt Anne
Moon Vine (can dig up a few)
Cypress Vine (can dig up a few)
'Pride of Hankins' Hibiscus (4 available only) - UniqueTreasures
Pink Jasmine (only one available)

Seeds available

Morning glory - Dark Coral - UniqueTreasures
Morning Glory - Sunrise Serenade (may be available by the time of the swap.....iffy) - UniqueTreasures
Snail Vine (only a few so, first come, first serve)
Strawflower
Cypress Vine
Moon Vine
Moneyplant
Red Cannas
Liatris
Cassia Allata - Candlestick Plant
Pink 4 o'clocks
White 4 o'clocks
African Iris - Dietes
Pink Hollyhocks (only a few) - UniqueTreasures
Coral Vine-UniqueTreasures
Zinnias
South African Foxglove
Hyssop

Whew! OK...I was working tonight on the cuttings. If I have listed that I'm rooting 2 or 3, and more of you want some of that particular plant, speak up, I'll root more.

Kristi

This message was edited Jun 13, 2007 11:43 PM

This message was edited Jun 15, 2007 8:00 PM

This message was edited Jun 21, 2007 11:50 PM

Houston, TX(Zone 10a)

conversation edited out

This message was edited Jun 6, 2007 8:41 PM

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Loquats....anyone need loquats? Lot's of 12" babies from my friend. She might be tagging along with me. She has no computer but I can tell you that she will have lantana out the wazoo, red cannas, ginger, asparagus fern (that's another that I say, "Grow at your own risk") and probably a non-flowering yucca or two. Some folks just like the greenery. I believe she also has the giant flowering aloe and some various gingers that she would like to share.

Manic - I would love a yellow pear tomato. So good in salads. Are they prolific producers?

Houston, TX(Zone 10a)

conversation edited out

This message was edited Jun 6, 2007 8:42 PM

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

I, too, have the easy ones: Katie ruella (purple) and tall ruella (purple), Pride of Barbados seeds (easy to grow) and lots of other seeds that I haven't had a chance to plant this year but that are still viable - vines, etc.

Ann

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Summary:

digigirl - banana pudding
knolan - chicken pasta salad, stinky cheese, wine
marilyn_tx - salad, brownies
smockette (2)
shortstuff430 - cupcakes
bookworm28 - brisket
gymgirl - hamhocks & greens
bubba_mocity (2) - cheese / crackers / cold cuts, wine
plantladyhou (2 - probably)
manicreality - chocolate covered lemon balm and mint
nystyx
AuntAnne
Flowerette
rjuddharrison (2)
margaretx
Ladyborg
Veggiehappy - fruit
UniQueTreasures (2)

Total to date: 23

Edited to add items as they occur

This message was edited Jun 14, 2007 11:15 AM

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I'll bring a grilled chicken pasta salad w/artichokes, pesto, sun dried tomatoes and feta.

Missouri City, TX

Knew we could count on something tasty from you - Kristi.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Why, thank you, Bubba! Happy to oblige.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Didi, what a wonderful idea to add/edit the post for the attendees list. Thanks for doing that.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

No problem. It just seemed like it was going to start getting confusing. This way, it might be easier to keep track of!

Houston, TX

hi all, got messed up with treads, sent message on other site...
i hope to able to attend that is if my bum foot will let me walk.... anyawy, crowelli, am gonna root some pink porters and see if they take off, have never rooted em before, but they are so hardy they should be fine.
happy day to all

Houston, TX(Zone 10a)

conversation edited out

This message was edited Jun 6, 2007 8:44 PM

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Sounds superb, Manic! You're making my mouth water. I'd love a baby papya. I keep saying, no more fruit trees, but just listen to me. I'm nuts!

Digigirl - thanks for keeping us on track!

I just returned from my last Master Gardener class. I'm so sad to see it end. Boy, we had a good time.

Houston, TX(Zone 10a)

This message was edited Jun 6, 2007 8:45 PM

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I think we'll have to do the plant lists like they do on the RU threads. Post what you have and as folks ask for that particular plant, edit your post to include who wanted what.

If I see great bargains on flats of particular items that I think I can keep alive until the swap, I'm going to pick them up here and there. That way, everyone can go home with a little sweet something.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I just rec'd a Monarch Watch seed kit. I think they all need to be cold stratified, thus I won't bring them sprouted - but I'll bring the seeds to share. There are varieties in there I've never seen or heard of at a garden center, and it would be fun to hear feedback on how they do with others and watch the results next fall and spring when the monarchs come through in mass.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I bought that kit last year. The seeds do need to be soaked. Most of the seeds do very well here. Great buy, huh? There's a few I haven't planted yet.....time, time, time....where does it all go?

OK...I've updated my list above. Check it out. I started on a lot of cuttings tonight and can do many, many more, just at you all's request.. I don't want to end up rooting 10 cuttings of something that no one wants or cares for.

I'll add your names to the list as you make your requests.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

knolan - did you refrigerate the seeds as per instructions or just soak. Time - will someone bring extra time to trade??? No not thyme - time! Oh and please, please - the passion vines you listed!

I'll bring milkweed seedlings for anyone, too.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I didn't refrigerate them, just soaked in a moist paper towel, placed in a sealed baggy, and in a sunny window for about three days until I saw little sprouts. Worked like a charm. I'm trying to remember if I scratched any of those in that group....I don't think I did.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Not to speak for everyone else but...we should ALL have a bunch of milkweed. LOL. Just IMHO.

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

Kristi, I would love a white banksia!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Gotcha down!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Ooh, Knolan - I'd love to have a bat-face cuphea, a Violet Charm clematis, and an esperanza.

What goodies can I give you in exchange? Brownies? Homemade chocolate eclairs? Or something not sweet - whatever you like. Name your price!

Valerie

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

You're too kind. A chocolate eclair would come in very handy!

Would you like an orange or yellow esperanza or one of each?

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Bookworm28, what color is the milkweed?

Nystyx - which porterweed do you have? I see 4 different kinds in the DG database (remember, I'm new to gardening).

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, how about orange? But if it becomes popular, I'll take whichever color is available.

I'll make a big batch of eclairs!

Valerie

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I think Nstyx said she has a pink one which doesn't appear to be listed in the plant files. I'd like a cutting purty, purty, purty please, Nstyx. Porterweed is a hummingbird magnet! I have the purple if you would like that, Digigirl.

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

Becky's list (not much but I will add to later):

trailing wave blue petunias (2 rooted, can do more if wanted)
deep purple fuschia (2 rooting)
white snapdragons (not sure how many yet, at least 4-6)

I can try if wanted:

trailing purple lantana
pink and yellow lantana (knolan)
double petunia (fragrant at night)
bleeding heart 'glory bower'
ice plant (pink)
chrysanthemum (white and dark red)
purple heart

I have a texas/mexican olive cutting (knolan) I am trying to root, but not sure if it will take. It's looking kinda sad right now. My mom has a tree though so I can always try again before the meet. As many times as I want she said!

Will add more as I can.

This message was edited May 24, 2007 11:05 PM

This message was edited May 26, 2007 9:52 AM

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Ya know, last year, I dug up a ton of the yellow and pink lantana (just wasn't in the right spot) and in my hurry, I didn't save any of it. I'd love a little piece if you have some to spare.

The BF's love lantana!

If you can get the olive to root, I'd love a little one of that too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.