Something is eating my seedlings...

Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

Hello, I'm new to growing MGs. The seedlings emerged not long ago, but I'm worried because something appears to be eating them! Does anyone know what eats MGs? Should I be worried, or will they survive? Is there anything I can do? Thanks... Here's a picture:

Thumbnail by rebecca101
Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

And here's another pic:

Thumbnail by rebecca101
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

It wasn't me!

Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

LOL :-)

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

It looks like snails or slugs. Throw out some snail bait.

(Zone 7a)

Hopefully someone has a more comprehensive answer than mine, but - based on just my own experience, I've had seedlings emerge in the past only to disappear. Since I don't have that problem when I surround young seedlings with chickenwire cylinders when I plant them out, my guess is that it's a critter with 4 paws or a very busy beak.

(Zone 7a)

Oops - hi Karen - we crossed in cyberspace

Karen

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

They seem to prefer the cotyledons, so the vines ought to be ok if they don't chomp the leading tip of the vine. They are eating from the leaf edge, do slugs do that? Looks more like a beetle or caterpillar did it.

http://www.btinternet.com/~micka.wffps/leaf1.html

Are there any shiny slime trails on the leaves? That would indicate a slug did the dirty deed.

Joseph

Mesilla Park, NM

those darned grasshoppers make those chomping holes too, so do the caterpillars.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

cats most definatly do i know i have fuzzy white ones who love my baby mgs

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

I have wondered before if the slugs, caterpillars,beetles and grasshoppers have a meeting each year and decide how much damage they can do as a team. :)

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Yes they do it to BUG us.

Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks everyone for all the ideas!

It has been quite hot and dry here recently, and I see no slime or other trace of slugs, so I think we can tentatively rule those out.

The garden is adjacent to a large field which is adjacent to a forest, so we have *lots* of four-legged creatures (voles, ground squirrels, raccoons, deer, bunnies, ...?) so that is a distinct possibility - I just didn't think any of them would find morning glory leaves good eating! Quite a few of my small seedlings have mysteriously vanished as well. Oh well, I will try covering the ones that are left with some sort of a cloche and see if that helps.

If it's a beetle or caterpillar I'm not sure what to do... The growing tips were OK as of this morning, so maybe they'll make it. No sign of any caterpillars or bugs near the plants, during the day at least.

Thanks for the link Joseph, those are great pictures.

(Zone 7a)

Just wanted to tell Gardener & Joseph that they do have to keep up their strength for things like fairy processions -

This one is labeled:
DoyleRichard_FairyProcession

from: http://lair2000.net/fairy_picture_download/1fae48.jpg

Richard Doyle was an English illustrator who lived between 1824 - 1883 - http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/doyle_richard.html

Thumbnail by bluespiral
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

The darn chipmunks I have will eat anything from roses to marigolds!!! ☺

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.