hmmm bad year for me

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

seems i am trying to save what i have and not making it. we are now on water bans and my poor yard looks like the desert.

i have some from Ron i am trying to save but one looks like it wont make it.

you alls pics look so good. missing my morning glories.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Water restrictions are never good. Are you able to hand water anything?

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

only on specific days. anything outside is on the bans

Mesilla Park, NM

If they are in pots, hand water and keep them in dappled shade, that might help retain the moisture (and mulch them), that may help also.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

That's what I've had to do in years past during restrictions - put what I could in a small area, and go out in early-early morning or very late evenings and water then. Of course, restrictions in SC might have different rules than TX. We're allowed (in the 1st stage) to hand water with a hose at any time, and only water lawns on certain days.

(Zone 7a)

Imzadi, have you tried those granules that take up water on their surfaces and then release it back when the soil dries? I'll be trying them for the first time this year, so cannot really say right now how well they work. They are polymers, so googling

polymer + water

brings up:

http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=polymer+%2B+water&form=QBRE

One landscaper I read said that she puts a small amount in each plant hole beneath the roots. The directions on mine say to evenly mix 1 Tbsp of granules with 1 gallon of potting medium, but not to include them in the top 2" of the pot, so you'd have to repot your plants, being sure to put this mixture at least beneath the roots.

Might be worth a try.

And then, of the 50+ genera comprising the morning glory family, I'll bet some members of this forum are growing some pretty drought-tolerant MGs. I wonder how one of those MGs with a swollen stem (caudiciform?) would do in a dry situation? Is anyone growing those or other particularly drought-tolerant MGs?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm wondering if grey water would be ok for plants .. anyone know?

X

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

whats grey water?

(Zone 7a)

X, here ya go - http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/695908/

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Grey water is used water from your tub, doing dishes and water from your washer. I don't think I'd water consumables with it, but from the excellent link bluespiral provided, it might be a good source of extra water.

What you might do is when you shower, stop up the tub and collect the water when you are done. See if you can find Kirk's castille soap at the grocery store. It's very biodegradable and made from natural ingredients .. it's primarily for hard water (wish I had it when I lived in england! .. their water is so hard that you can break a leg jumping into a swimming pool! Lol .. just kidding, but its very hard water there). If you have naturally soft water you won't want to use it, you'd be rinsing for a week. You can also try diverting the rinse water from the washer as well and use an unscented detergent. Dish water would probably be too greasy to be practical and might attract animals and bugs.

Tub water and rinse water would probably take care of everything in pots. The water retaining crystals are good idea too.

X

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Store bought water like Poland Spring is always exempt from any water restrictions...and maybe ordering one of those large 25 gallon dispensers might be necessary to preserve certain ultra-rare plants...

Just thought I'd mention about store bought water being exempt...

TTY,...

Ron

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.