I need some ID's please

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

At times my DH does property cleanup on abandoned properties. He came across these. I'll just call them 1-5 (left to right). Now I know that 2 & 3 are can openers. But there are other unknown (to me) things that they were used for.

Thumbnail by MySharona

I flipped them over - another view...

a picture would have helped...

Thumbnail by MySharona

He also found these binoculars - they are apparently very old.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Camp Crook, SD(Zone 3b)

A couple of them appear to have markings on them that I can't read from the pic. That might help to identify.

#4 reads stainless steel Germany
#5 reads Pat Pend

Thumbnail by MySharona
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

The first is a bone handled meat serving fork. The little attachment at the handle end of the fork is so that when it is flipped open, you can rest it on the table without the fork touching the tablecloth.

Camp Crook, SD(Zone 3b)

This is just a wild guess, but could #4 and #5 be for use with cheeses? They look like they're designed to "shave" something, maybe for cutting samples in a store before purchase?

BigRed - Thanks! Would you have any idea regarding the type of bone?
mrsholsti - I've never seen anything like them!

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

MySharona,

Actually it's what's called a "stag horn" or an antler from a deer. ☺

Red

Red (my nickname!) - Thanks!
I always find it amazing the things people throw away.
The little blade on the side of #3 is a doozie! Sharp too.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Your hubby found some neat treasures. I have a bottle opener with the stag handle like yours. It came from a set that belonged to my ex's grandfather. I still have the shot glasses that were in the set, they are made from aluminum.

Susan

Sherrie In, NH(Zone 5a)

The black binoculars could be Opera Glasses. Type that into ebay.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Can opener (item number 2) opened cans, bottles and paint can type lids.

The second can opener looks like it is much older.

Winter Park, FL

Greetings! ........... Number 1 is a meat fork with antler handle; it would have been part of a set with a carving knife - and perhaps a sharpening steel. Number 3 is a can opener. Number 4 is a citrus knife with zester (for cutting thin little strips of lemon or lime peel without taking the underlying pulp) Number 5 is a zester.

Thank y'all so much! I really appreciate it!

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

What is #2 called? I have been looking for one for ages! My mother has one and I have searched online to purchase one for opening canning lids, but haven't found one. Does anyone know what they are called and/or where to get one?

Thanks,
Robert

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

It's a can opener, used before they invented snap top cans. You probably can find one in most any antique/collectible shop.

West Central, FL(Zone 9b)

To give you an idea of #2's age, we had one when I was a kid and it was new....1960's era.

Waynesboro, MS(Zone 8a)

No 2 can be found in most grocery stores.
They are still used to punch a pouring spout in large cans of juices and cans of evaporated milk.
They were a necessity a few years ago to pop beverage cans.
I have one that also has a lip to pop jelly lids.
We called them church keys in my younger days.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for all your help. I guess the one I am looking to purchase the one that opens jelly lids. It looks like #2 item in the first picture and believe it is from the 60's/ 70's era. I thought someone would have one for sale!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

bwaaahahhaaa. The items from my wedding shower are in the collectibles category. I'm am surely not that old...

Thanks! I remember some of them from my childhood, but not all.

BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from MySharona :
At times my DH does property cleanup on abandoned properties. He came across these. I'll just call them 1-5 (left to right). Now I know that 2 & 3 are can openers. But there are other unknown (to me) things that they were used for.

The carving fork on the left looks like what my mother had, even down to the surface of the handle. But I remember the metal piece flipped up to protect your finders when carving. The second is a multi bottle opener. It opened bottles from the middle, but would pierce a can from the top (I use a simple one for piercing olive oil tins one end, to prevent the "slurping" when pouring), and I think if you used the two little hook over bits at the bottom - they would help get lids off also. The two smaller objects are pretty much for cheeses - chefs use them to this day, but I can't get a good look at the red handled one.

BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from MySharona :
a picture would have helped...

Yes, the red handled one is for opening bottles and tins. It could pierce a tin to pour out the contents, or even open a tin of beans, stick in the point and move up and down, and it would cut a ragged opening to the top of a can.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images