CLOSED: Secret trade - SUBSCRIBERS ONLY

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Secret Plant Trade - Open to SUBSCRIBERS only

YOU MUST BE A PAID SUBSCRIBER

RULES:
If you would like to participate:

List your name, zone, and brief list of things you like/dislike – colors, sun or shade, no bulbs, etc.

The plants must be perennials – 3 plants must be sent, if you choose to send more that’s fine but no less than 3 healthy perennials (not seeds unless that is in addition to the 3 plants)

Cut off for signing up will be: June 22 at 5:00 Eastern time and you must dmail me your name, mailing address, and DG user name by this deadline

I will then match up zones as closely as possible and draw names from zones on June 23.

I will dmail you the name and address of your secret trade pal on June 23. DO NOT contact that person, do not let the name appear anywhere – it’s a SECRET trade.

You must MAIL your box out priority mail by July 9. Remember – the holiday will delay shipping and you don’t want the plants sitting in a hot truck somewhere. Make sure you ship the box to allow 3 days with no Sunday or holiday in those 3 days.

Be thinking ahead about what you can trade so you can get the plants out quickly because we all know how excited we get waiting on plants. It’s sad when you’re the last person getting a box. Please use delivery confirmation. Also, include a note in the box so the recipient will know who sent the box and “thank you’s” can be posted on the thread.

I will list one thread for signing up.

I will list another thread for after you have received your trade.

If you have questions or require info on how to correctly package, wrap, etc please look at post one on this thread (sticky)

INCLUDE YOUR ZONE!!!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/502752/

Kathy

This message was edited Jun 15, 2007 11:01 AM

This message was edited Jun 15, 2007 11:04 AM

This message was edited Jun 15, 2007 11:06 AM

This message was edited Jun 15, 2007 12:48 PM

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Kathy,

"Members" only or did you mean "subscribers?"

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Now I'm really confused!!!!!...................Isn't members and subscribers both the same thing????

Rainy,

Members is anyone who does a search and it brings up Daves. They have FREE access to look at certain things on the site but are limited. They can only send so many dmails, do so many searches in a day and some forums are closed to them, example the Parking Lot ONLY subscribers (those who paid the annual fee) can read....but all can read the General Discussion forum.

Make sense?

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Sorry for the confusion: It's SUBSCRIBERS only.

Names of those who will participate:

alinehuey
Captmicha
cordeledawg
dbrooks
dhemmer
Diamond123
Dispatcher 1
dutchlady1
Eglantyne
Elizabethtown
frans530
froggies_girl
gapeahen
gardengirl1204
Ghia_girl
glamourpuss
happgarden
heyitstammy
jackieshar
JanetS
jocelynavon
june_2007
laurish4
lebug
luvsgrtdanes
makshi
marieortiz
mellymass
Missg
mrsspeedsgarden
Plant Holder
pollyk
rainy_jane
rebecca30
ROZ
scorpioangel
Shihtzumom
shuggins
silkiechick
skaz421
Skimper
songsofjoy
summekid
susybell
tggfisk
tortoisekeeper

UPDATED LIST

This message was edited Jun 21, 2007 9:45 AM

This message was edited Jun 21, 2007 4:57 PM

This message was edited Jun 26, 2007 3:43 PM

This message was edited Jun 26, 2007 3:44 PM

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I want in please :-)

Can they be WS perennials or do they need to be larger? I have both. This sounds like fun!
Lea

Kathy,

I figured as much. Admin can change the title of your thread if you wish. Sounds like fun!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes, I just dmailed Admin for the change. Sorry for the confusion kids! I was toooooo excited.

They should be established plants. I wouldn't take chances in giving someone a start unless it exceeds the 3 plants. I recall some very sad people who got weak/dead/dying plants in the first secret trade I participated in (2003 or so) and it wasn't restricted to paying members so very new gardeners sent things and some were very disappointed. Others felt bad when seeing the goodies others received and they had only sent weak plants.

I received a great box at that time with gloves, signs, etc. in addition to 5 or 6 plants and I was a newbie and didn't do such a great job myself. I felt bad.

Kathy

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I'd love to do this!

I've never done one before. You've given some good tips for newbie secret traders. Is there anything else I should know?

Will the sign-up thread be posted here in this forum?

Newbie questions:

Is it OK to buy a perennial if we don't have something our "tradee" wants?

Can we specify something like "no invasives" or "would like things for new sunny bed" or should we stick to lists of actual plants we like?

This message was edited Jun 15, 2007 8:42 AM

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

"List your name, zone, and brief list of things you like/dislike – colors, sun or shade, no bulbs, etc."

Do we do this on here or on your dmail?

No WS plants gottcha :-)

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm in ...JanetS, Zone 7B, I love it all! Surprise me...lol

edited to add: No invasives please...thank you.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2007 12:42 PM

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

List here:

Your name, zone, brief list of things you like/dislike - colors, sun or shade, no bulbs, if no invasive you may need to specify but don't go into great detail - this is a fun thing and should not be overwhelming.

You can buy plants, dig them, or even dig from your neighbors yard (if they let you) but please, be a good trader and send only nice items that you would like to receive. It must be 3 perennials. If you want to add tons of other things - go for it.

Make sure you read the how to ship plants so you don't waste postage with dirt. You need to wrap in damp newspaper or other material, etc. Don't hesitate to ask questions here - someone will jump in and help you newbies.

Kathy

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Shihtzumom
Zone 6
Sun to part shade
No full shade items

Like to have:

Sundown (red) coneflower, delphinium, ostrich ferns, strawberry plants, foxtail lilies, alliums, astibe, football mums

Kathy

This message was edited Jun 19, 2007 9:24 AM

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Marie Ortiz zone 9. I love bulbs and tropicals, and vines.
I have never mailed anything but seeds as I am fairly new to gardening but not a complete newbie. So I will need some packing tips.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2007 9:44 AM

This message was edited Jun 15, 2007 9:49 AM

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Marieortiz - PLEASE READ the first post on the Plant Trading Thread!!!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/502752/

This message was edited Jun 15, 2007 12:48 PM

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Kathy thanks for the link.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2007 7:04 PM

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Zone 6b
no full shade plants or bulbs please
Sun to part shade
any color other than purple if possiable
no invasives please, at all

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Roz
Zone 8 B
No full shade plants
Would love brug cuttings - Katrina took most of mine

Roz

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Polly, Z6

I would love to participate.

I would like someone in zone 4, 5 or 6, if possible, and if possible, in the East. (I already have plants in mind). Also, I would love to have a new gardener to send to.

As for what I would like--surprise me too. I do love irises, though, but will be happy with anything.

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

I would like to join.

Sheila
Zone 9

I would like things that can take full sun. I don't really have much shade at all. For colors, I am pretty flexible (reds, purples and yellows are preferred), but would prefer not to have pink (but even that would be okay).

Can't wait. These are always so much fun!!

Thanks.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Ok, you've all talked me into it,)

I have both shady and sunny beds and like color, whichever color it is.
Things that I've been looking to add more of:
For shade
hucheras, tiarellas, and pulmonarias, tricyrtis, brunnera, and carex.
For sun/pt. sun
asters, veronicas, companulas, penstemon(not sour grapes...too big), echinacea, dianthus, different shasta daisies, salvias (have lots of purple ones), stokesia, verbascum, and potentilla.

Gosh, just any kind of cool stuff that won't run all over! I'm sort of a collector and love surprises!! And I can find a place for just about anything!
Bev

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

What about international members?

Kaleem

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Kaleem! Good to see you here!

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Thank you Janet.
Kaleem

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm in,
diamond123
zone 5b
Sun only
no bulbs
love tropicals
any color
no roses, have plenty

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

OK I will give this a try..

Melissa, Zone 5b/6

I am new to gardening just under a year so this should be fun! :) No color or plant preferences here.

Thanks!

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

jackieshar...HOW FUN!!!
zone 7a

suggestions:
named bearded iris (rhizomes), any zebra iris, tall alliums (bulbs), tall fall asters preferable blue, agastaches, white casa blanca lilies (bulbs).....purple leaf plum tree (seedlings or rooted cuttings) , rooted oriental persimmon tree cuttings, lantana, has to survive hot,dry,alkaline,

please no:
shade, ferns, or tropical plants, daylilies, seeds, houseplants, Texas natives (I have most of them) , unrooted cuttings, invasives, ground covers, canna, roses,

want to trade with members in zone 6, 7 or 8 and/or on either coast

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Sorry, no international.

Everyone is doing a good job of posting!!
Kathy

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

For this trade we only want perennials - no houseplants, no unrooted things - these must be established plants or bulbs unless the person requests it.

to make sure we all understand this - I'm making a chart with your name and zone along with things you do and do not want - things that stand out. I will match you with someone in your zone as closely as possible. I plant to put the names in a hat and draw them out randomly. You will not necessarily be getting plants from the person you are sending plants to. I may be sending plants to JanetS and JanetS may be sending to Diamond123.

Polly are you wanting someone from the 4,5,6 zone to SEND your plants to or do you want someone in 4,5,6 to send you plants? I'm going to make this easy so I hope we have fun and not get to technical. I'll organize another one if this works well - maybe around Aug or Sept.

Kathy

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

A suggestion :

I prefer to trade a bit out of zone.......its more fun to receive from other zones if they will work for you. Things that can't necessarily be found in the garden centers in your own area....for instance, bearded iris grow well here, but there is no place that sells them...I have to buy rhizomes sight unseen on line if I have any

Gold Hill, OR(Zone 7a)

Scorpioangel Zone 7a surprise me :) This sounds like fun.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I would like someone from 4,5,or 6 to send my plants to. I don't care where I get them from. Sorry, don't mean to be so fussy, I just have some ready for those zones. Thanks!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

it's not being fussy, i've never "organized" (and I say that lightly) a secret trade. I loved participating in them when I first joined and the Senior DGers held them. I'm making this up as I go....so lets see how it works. I'm only mixing up names and you guys do the rest - so I can't screw it up to bad.

Remember to dmail me your name and address. Post here what your zone and desires/dislikes are.

kathy

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Edited to say that I like tropicals too. If these are included in the trade guidelines I mean.

Can I be in? This sounds really fun!

Micha

z7

I LOVE native plants for my area. NO INVASIVES PLEASE!!! Butterfly nectar & host plants, fruiting trees/shrubs, nut plants, anything to feed wildlife. Shade woodland plants, things that look tropical or odd. Nothing that I already have on my trade list please.

Colors don't matter, sun and shade, I'm not too fond of bulbs.

This message was edited Jun 17, 2007 3:21 AM

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I'd like in also! Zone 5b

I have shade and part shade and sun. I would red or purple perennialsor a flowering vine. Lou ( No Invasives! I was uninformed in my first secret and babied the creeping ginny so much, not knowing it was invasive. Five years later, I'm now taking round up to it.LOL)

This message was edited Jun 18, 2007 7:48 AM

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

I'd like to try this!

Zone 5

Most of my yard is Part shade to mostly shade so I don't have any full sun perennials to SEND

But... I just cut down some trees so I have one area that now receives 5 hours afternoon sun - so I would gladly receive plants that would do well in those conditions.

I like pinks, whites, purples, blues or interesting foliage - I'm NOT crazy about yellow, red or orange

No invasives please

One last note: If possible, I would prefer to send to someone who is new to gardening because the things I have most of might be considered common and perhaps not as exciting to experienced gardeners (just don't want anyone to be disappointed).

This message was edited Jun 18, 2007 11:01 AM

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Songsofjoy, I have found that the things I think are common (because I have grown them for so long) may actually be very exciting to other gardeners....lol We are hard pressed to be disappointed in most anything that will bloom...lol

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

That's good to know. I thought of revising my post so it didn't sound like I only have boring things to send, LOL. Truth be told, they are some of my very favorite plants (which is why I have them in abundance). I just don't know the exact scientific names or cultivars of some of them and I know that is important to some people.

I can't wait - this is very exciting!!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Good Lord, Honey, most of the time I can't even call a Daisy a Daisy...lol I am doing quite well to remember my own name! I am not really sure what a cultivar is...lol and as for the scientific names, well, I guess if I had a garden that was on tour etc. I would try to label them as such, but hardly anyone goes into my garden that asks "what is the scientific name for this plant" if they did, I guess I could tell them to GOOGLE it...LOL

Belleville, IL(Zone 6a)

I'd like to be in!
I'm in zone 6a.
I had to realy think this one over cuz I didn't think I had 3 perennials to send, I grow alot of annuals. so I do have a few so yes I'm in. I've never sent any thing except seeds so this will be new. guess I'll have to read up on how to send plants. So glad there is a step by step example. Thanks Kim. OH how I love DG people.
I have an area that is sunny, and I am not real reliable when it comes to watering my plants. Other than non invasive plants I'm not too picky.
diana

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.