CLOSED: Secret trade - SUBSCRIBERS ONLY

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I am trying to get mine out on the 5th, as well. That way MAYBE I won't be the last one to send mine..lol Hoping to get a lot done tomorrow and be ready to send it first thing Thurday! Also, hoping to get some things planted tomorrow as well...my DD is coming to help..YEA!!!!!

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

I'm way down SOUTH & my ST is way up NORTH! I'm not sure if shipping on Thursday is a good idea. So I'm thinking of shipping on Monday, at least the July 4th mail should be caught up by then anyway.
Don't wont my ST plants to wilt in the heat, I'll give them extra care in packing.

I've always give more plants, I hope my ST gets a "BIG WOW!!!"
Secret Trade is like Chirstmas, you never know what you'll get!! This is my forth ST and I've hostd a Canna ST last year........I've never been disappointed,,,,,,,,,,, yet! Most gardener'e LOVE to GIVE!!
I do!!
gapeahen will ship MONDAY 9th!

Donna

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Kathy we care but can't know like you said unless we are told.

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Will definetely ship mine on Thursday off tomorrow so can dig dig dig. Get ready secret pal it will be worth the wait I love sharing.

Shirley

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I have not heard from the following people so I don't know if they are sending plants or not. It really makes it upsetting for those waiting on boxes when we don't have someone post here that weather, etc. has caused them to delay shipping.

Not heard from:
ROZ....................received reply that her box will go out on the 9th. Been out of town.
CaptMitch
dhemmer

Kathy

This message was edited Jul 3, 2007 4:33 PM

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Eglantyne - sent July 3rd
Del.Confirmation # 0306 3030 0001 2794 0527

Hope my ST will like what I sent.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Good news, NO RAIN TODAY!!!!
I took off work 2 hrs early came home and got my plants ready for my flower buddy.. got them up to the post office before they closed and the post lady told me
my buddy should have them Thursday...

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

OH I'm sorry buddy I just talk to my friend and he told me wrong about one of the plants I sent you.. I put a note on the plant calling it a lizard lily .. I called him and told him I can't find that anywhere online.. He said no, no it's a Leopard lily.. I found a link about it here on DG site... http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/41/
So you'll know what it's all about when you get it,, You might already know what they are... Talk to you later

Belleville, IL(Zone 6a)

Hello secret trade buddy.
I'm sorry i havent posted. I was sick last week and this week work keeps me form shipping my box. i'll pack 'er up on the 9th and have 'er out to you priority. sorry you are one of the last to get your box. keep your eyes out for it
diana

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

diana - thank you for posting. greatly appreciated.

Kathy

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

still no reply from Captmitch. I have info from dhemmer & roz

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

My box will go out by the 9th. I was out of town last week until Monday.. I am sure my buddy is going to be pleased, and it is so much fun doing this.

U.P., MI(Zone 5a)

Just thought I would mention what Capt micha said in another thread"

"I'm sorry, my trades are/will be late.

I'm taking a summer school class and I've been really busy but it's over by the end of this week.

All the plants will get out as soon as I can, way before the holiday."

I don't know Captmicha but It sounds like they will be shipped in time, :)
Sue

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Sue,
It's really sad that folks that sign up for these things don't take their life into consideration. I've had several people post issues that got in the way of this little project.

I will NOT host another secret trade. I did this for the FUN of it but for some reason there has been far to many dmails with multiple issues, people don't like what they got so they dmail me, they have dead plants or the plants are annuals or they don't fit in their zone or ?

This was a fun project where we could share, laugh, and enjoy things from other places. But it apparently made to many unhappy so I would not recommend this to anyone. Sorry, I'm just ticked off at several folks for putting things on the back burner and ticked at those who think they "special ordered' things and got the wrong item.

Kathy

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Kathy-So sorry this has turned out badly. As promised I have mine all dug and ready to ship tomorrow. There's always a few that turns everything sour. Chin up girl and Happy July 4th to you. Soooooooo proud to be an American. I think you did an outstanding job on this. Remember Jesus Christ couldn't please everyone either.

Shirley

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Kathy, I think this was a great way to have the opportunity get something we have never tried before. It was a gamble for all of us not knowing what we got. As long as there is more than 1 person involved in something there will be those who bring it down. I like what I got and I hope what I gave was liked and if not, my trader can pass it on.

Kathy, I think you did a good thing!

Thanks!

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

Kathy,
I am sorry you feel it went so wrong. I personally loved what I received and really hope my person that I sent to meant it when she said she too liked what she received. I know I enjoyed getting out there and figuring out what to send.

With all this said I must confess that at one point I thought of dropping out because of a few things that were posted here.

I hope now that your almost complete, you have a new-found respect for any host or hostess and realize that sometimes things beyond your control DO happen, some of those d-mails can be quite offensive and mean and sometimes getting a little giddy is just about all you can do to keep a sane mind.

I for one do think an apology just might be in order.

I do thank you for your time and energy you put into this trade, again, I loved what I received.

Fran

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I have not been the least bit worried or concerned about whether or not I receive a package at the beginning of the swap or towards the end. The shipping started on June 25th and will end on July 9th. That end date has not expired. It is a future date and IMO, it doesn't make any difference to me if I am one of the last to receive a package. I don't think this swap was intended to be a race to see who gets a prize first. The time frame to ship the packages is reasonable and attainable with rules set at the very beginning of this swap. The rules have been clear and our host has communicated effectively.

I received the sweetest e-mail from my receipant on the day she received her plants and she also graciously thanked me publically on the receipt thread. You are most welcomed Joycelyn! That was truely my prize for entering this swap.

Deborah

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Weighing all the responses, were most happy? If so, I think it was a resounding success.

I was extremely happy with what I received from Elizabethtown. She sent me just what I mentioned I liked. However, had she sent something different, I would have been happy.

Dead plants are probably a sign of inexperience, and I would not have been upset over that either.

And the person I sent to was very gracious, even sending me a private email thanking me. I was thrilled.

I am so glad you did this, Kathy. Please don't be sad or discouraged over a few.

I think the swap was wonderful. If there were people unhappy, maybe they should just not participate next time.

Oh, and Elizabethtown, not a chance in you know what anyone is getting those iris you sent me. No passing it on here!

This message was edited Jul 4, 2007 11:42 PM

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Thanks Polly! :) Gave me a nice before bed chuckle. I do know that there's not a chance anyone else is getting what Melissa sent me either. Hosta Pineapple Upside Down Cake and Heuchera Caramel plus an unknown Japanese-type fern! They are already happily nestled in my garden....

Polly, you do need to start and iris journal so everyone can see what you already have... I was so afraid of sending you duplicates, besides next year we might could trade if you have irises I don't.... ;)

Roni

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

The success for me is the joy many of you get, the excitement of gathering your goodies to SEND OUT. That's what I liked too. I had to buy new plants since I'm starting out with a new yard. And that was fun too. I've smiled at each of you when your box arrived and you were soooo happy.

Many of you have sent me wonderful dmails and expressed appreciation for doing the trade. You're right, if they don't like what they got or the experience they had - don't join the next one.

Begin first or last doesn't matter to me either. I just hate waiting to see if everyone gets a box. I've had several folks offer to send out a 2nd box to someone who gets left out - true kindness. I guess I worried because I would go out and get 2 or 3 boxes prepared for someone who didn't get a box. And that's fine. But I would not like anyone to skip out. And yes, we do have a few days before the mailing deadline. I just think it's nice to post here that you haven't forgotten - you've just had issues and the boxes WILL go out by the 9th.

Kathy

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Well I thought I would weigh in as a Newbie here. This is my first swap on this site but not the first one I have participated in via the web. Being someone really new to gardening going on a year now I was really nervous about picking and shipping plants. Kinda along the lines of picking out something for someone who already has everything lol. Should I send her something from my garden's (which are just starting out). Or buy something..
Luckily as a newbie I ended up getting someone who kept her request simple.. :)

I finally gave in and tried my best to pick a few things out and shipped them hoping that they would make it intact. Second guessed myself more than one time after reading the post here of what others sent out... Held my breath until I got a message saying that they made it there OK.

Thanks Kathy for setting this up I know that it can't be easy and we don't know what goes on "behind the scenes" with Dmails etc..

Thanks Roni for boosting my self confidence and giving me the courage to try this again. I am really glad that you liked what I sent.

Regardless of if I get anything or not I am glad that I got to experince the giving part! This was a really great learning experince for me.. :-)

Melissa

This message was edited Jul 5, 2007 9:36 AM

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

my thoughts too Melissa......a large part of the pleasure in gardening is in the sharing. My gardens have been blessed from Dave's members all over the states and even some wonderful salvia seeds from a Dave's friend in Australia. I have met some wonderful generous people who just love to share with no trades required. Then I have made friends who share my insatiable greed for the lovely iris and daylily. And then all the Texas gardeners who love our native wildflowers and are willing to share their know how. All have been a joy and a great source of fun. Gardener's are just better people as a whole and I am glad to be a contributing part of the plan..You know it is said we groers and tillers are a little closer to God, and I do believe that.....Thanks Kathy for the fun.
Jackie

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

This was my 1st swap also, but my problem is I did 2 swaps at the same time.. LOL..
This one and a birdhouse swap.. Which I'll never do 2 @ a time again.. LOL
I have not gotten my birdhouse yet, but I will..
I did get my plants from luvsgrtdanes (Ronnie) she did great on picking out wonderful plants for me... She gave me a bunch of seeds too.. I have been bringing them to work showing my co-workers...
I hope my flower buddy likes her stuff she should get it today... :)

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

I haven't forgotten my Dear ST and will ship out on Monday 9th.
Even though I'm in zone 8 & my ST in a much colder climate, I'm hoping these perennials will be sucess in her garden. I do promise my ST will not be disappointed! It will be a NEW addition to her garden for the butterflies & hummingbird!

My reason for delay of shipping is due to my fathers illness, which Hospices has been call in now. Praying for strength each day.

Kathy, many thanks to you for all your work, Give yourself a pat on the back fo job well done! I've also hosted a few ST in the pass yrs...... and it's hard to make everyone happy, but we all try to do our best, I think........

Have A Bless Day,
Donna

PS
I'll be more than happy to host a SECRET TRADE in the fall and welcome ALL newbie's!

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I am one of the people who hasn't received her trade yet but I have enjoyed sending my package, and reading all the posts. That has been half the fun, and I am NOT impatient for my package to arrive.
Kathy, you did a great job. Thanks.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Kathy you did a great job and I hope you reconsider hosting again. It was my first swap. because my garden is new too I did not have anything to share but my daughter and I had the best time shopping for something for our person. It was great to see my daughter (6 yrs old) care so much about what she thought the recepient (SP) would enjoy. She also enjoyed planting what we received.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi Kathy ,
First of all you ARE so much APPRECIATED as a super hostess !! please reconsider and host another one in the future.Please don't be upset anymore.

These swaps are so much fun and yes it is hard to figure out what someone else might enjoy,what will do good in their zone etc.
I have participated in several over the years I have been a member and yes there were a couple of disappointments BUT that's the chance I took .However I won't give up because of that.To me it is also the joy of giving and not receiving.

Personally I can't understand that complaints were sent to you per d-mail because you have organized this superbly and didn't have anything to do with sending unwanted/dead plants.

My ST has been sent but not received,hopefully today ? on the other hand I haven't received mine yet either but I am not worried at all about it ,just figured as long as it meets the deadline it's ok with me.

Kathy,one more time.PLEASE don't be upset anymore.
Hugs,
Brigitte

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

My box is on its way, with confirmation.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Kathy, I am new to Dave's and I didn't get in on this trade. I think it sounds like the MOST fun and I would love it if you decide you want the headache of doing it again! It sounds like everyone got a kick out of the ST.

Kudos to you for hosting. Aren't gardeners great?

Greenwich, OH

Hello: Kathy, You have done a splendid job with all your effort,time ,hosting the swap.I haven"t received my box yet.I feel, I am so fortunate to rather give than receive.That is what sharing is all about.
Continue hosting swaps like this, there is awesome! members here on DG, and they stuck by their words with their time and effort and loyalty.
This has been so much fun for us gardeners here at DG.
Thanks!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Kathy always does a fantastic job when hosting anything here on DG! For someone that is so busy and working and with all the things you have going on, I dont know how you find the time. But I do appreciate all you do and you have never disappointed me in any of the things I have been a part of....always fun, and always done well!

My box will be heading out tomorrow morning. I have a sweet friend coming over this afternoon to help me dig. I am still quite ill and even when my DD was here I wasn't able to show her what I needed, but I can tell this friend and she will be able to find them for me....my DD doesn't know a daisy from a canna...lol

I totally agree with whomever stated, if you didn't have fun, don't sign up next time. I think it is important to do these things with a giving heart, and in a loving spirit, and remember there are so many of us and we all have different ideas of what we love in our gardens, and if someone sends me something (anything) from their garden, it is a treasure to me, simply because they took the time and made the effort to share with me what they had to share. I have received several plants over the years that were duplicates of what I have, or that were annuals etc. and not once have I been anything but thrilled to have someone care enough to share with me. That is what this is about, ladies and gentlemen, not what we get, but that we share something of ourselves with someone else in a giving and loving spirit. In MHO anyway.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for all the comments and comforting words. Reading the last few comments and each of you say you haven't received a box, we may need to double check things. The 9th is coming soon and if you don't get a box by the 12th I want to know - please post here on this thread. It should be something we all know about.

Many of us want to enjoy sharing and Janet put it so well, but we also can't allow folks to take advantage of others. Maybe not this trade but keep them from in general taking plants and not trading or paying. It's wide open here because we are a trusting/earthy group and that opens the door for some to take advantage.

I know there's someone out there that I owe postage to right now but for the life of me can't think who it is or how much it is. I don't have time to go over the tons of dmails just yet but I will, maybe this winter someone will get a check for postage! It's less than $10 so don't think any of you will get rich off me, lol

You are a wonderful group of friends and I've enjoyed all the many emails we've shared, learning of others families, personal struggles, etc. We truly are a family.

Thank you all for your friendship.

Kathy

P.S. yes, we'll do another trade in a month or so - I promise.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I am glad to hear that there will be another trade. I look forward to it. You are awesome Kathy!!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

You are such a pushover...LOL I put my package in the mail this afternoon, around two o'clock, so it should be there Saturday, I think.

I agree, that we are an easy group to take advantage of, if some is wanting to do so. I have had a few "trades gone bad" myself, but you know what is truly funny....I had a terrible experience with someone early on when I was a newbie, got my feelings hurt etc., but decided not to let it ruin my time here, and it didn't....and as things turned out, I have actually done trades with that same person since then, and everything went very smoothly and cordially. So it made me realize, that perhaps when the "trade gone bad" happened, this person was in a bad place, personally, and didn't mean things the way I took them at all....and it really made me happy that I had already "forgiven and forgotten" the whole ugly mess....I am sure that person would NEVER have assumed to trade with again, if they had intentionally been rude and mean to me at an earlier date, and MEANT to be rude or mean. I guess, what I am saying, is we all deserve a break sometimes, and sometimes we NEED one whether we deserve it or not...LOL So, lets be SURE that someone is blatantly taking advantage of us BEFORE we call them out on it...okay.

It is hot as blazes here! LOL I wish it would rain and cool things down! Have a great evening everyone!
Janet

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Janet,
you're a hoot. I hope things are going better for you soon. And yes, it better RAIN before my water bill is more than the house payment.

Kathy

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Kathy,

I also think you did a good job with the trade. I was really happy with mine plants. You can't make everyone happy even when you try because of diff. personalities, likes, and dislikes no matter how one tries. I just want to thank you for having it. We can't do anything about a problem if we don't know it exist as dead plants, wrong zones etc. I think all in all we on the site get along fairly well don't you.

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Thank you Kathy!!! I enjoyed this exchange very much.

Betty

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

I shipped my plants today, July 7

Steve

Reynoldsville, PA(Zone 6a)

i haven't recieved mine yet either and i second that. me and my 3 year old girl had a blast spending the day going through our gardens for our secret friend. the best part here was watching what she picked out to share,lol she was so excited and soproud to be a little helper!!

i have enjoyed reading what everyone has gotten and how excited they got this was alot of fun. please reconsider doing another i think it was a great success,youdid awesome and don't worry there is still 4 days till the deadline. the best part of everything is shareing with your new secret friend and being surprised,not what you get or how fast.
keep up the great work!!
silkie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images