Dallas Fall Plant Swap

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Okay, I know it's early, but I had to miss last year, and I'm really eager! Wanted to get started on cuttings now. Anyone else interested?

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I am very much interested, but it seems a little early to be planning yet, however, getting your cuttings started is a great idea, I am doing that myself.
Josephine.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Last year the dates of the weekend of Oct 27th was brought up. Are these dates still good and we are keeping the same location? We will start threads and the detail planning sometime in late July early Aug I would think.

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm in

Yes, if we start too early the threads get too long and people forget what was said or promised, so it is better to start closer to the date.
Late October is fine with me, that way it might not be as hot.
As to the place it is up to you guys to decide, where we had it before is fine with me, but I don't know if others might want a different place, I am agreeable to whatever people decide and works for the majority.
Josephine.

Dallas, TX

Its a good idea to set the date now, it will give everyone chance to .. get pumped up! ... and get our lives in order.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2007 8:02 PM

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I like where we have had it before... I love the swap and cannot wait to get things together. But it is a little early still to get these threads started.

I do have a few cuttings already started!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I plan on being there whenever and wherever it is!!! With my back problems hopefully behind me this year!!

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Heh heh. I know; I'm just eager!

I am still rotten at propagating. I have a few things I'd love to root, both to share and for myself. But if nobody else wants those things, I probably won't bother with them. If they do, they might want to give me some better ideas about how to get them to root.

For example... I still can't get any of my salvias to root. And yes, I know--salvias are supposed to be easy!

The other thing is, I still have some landscaping to do, and am thinking now about what to order for fall planting. It's too early to start trade lists. But would it be okay, do you think, to gently ask, "Is anyone going to have such-and-such at the fall swap?" :>)

Sure, it is O.K. go for it and ask, so you can make plans.
Josephine.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I plan on trying to make this one!
Don't know where you had it last yr, but place is not important to me if I come that far. What's another 10 or 20 miles? No step for a stepper!! lol
:~)

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Pbtxlady, any chance you might be looking for some White Obedient Plant to put in your newly landscaped area? I have a mature bunch in a pot that I would happy to give you right now. I simply don't have room for it in my flowerbeds. The hummingbirds love it.

Carla

I thought obedient plant was invasive? Am I thinking of something else?

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

I wouldn't call Obedient Plant "invasive" as much as "persistent." Kind of like the Blue Mist Flower (Eupatorium greggii) -- when it's happy, it wants to spread its happiness. And that's why I've had mine in a pot lo these many years. I simply don't have the room to allow it to spread.

Carla

ok,, I have blue mist.... it hasn't spread any yet. But of course that could be because the pink primrose I planted next to it has gone gang busters.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, I'd love some obedient plant. I didn't know it came in white, though.

Doesn't it take full sun? I don't have very much of that left. If it can take part shade, I can find a good spot for it. Don't mind if it's "persistent." Sometimes we like persistent things. :)

Carla, where do you live? My address is in Garland, but for all practical purposes we might as well be in Rowlett.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

My Blue mist was well behaved the first year, but after that it reseeded like crazy.
PB...I have the purple obedient plant in shade/part sun in my yard, and it does great. Leans a bit as it starts to bloom, but very healthy.

Dallas, TX

I dont care if its invasive ... I like them anyway ... bring it on! lol ..and no it dont have to be in full sun either. I am still trying to propergate ... got some Orleander going. I could pot up some lady in red ... or some of this thats getting ready to bloom ... any idea of what this? Something on the right is getting ready to bloom too. Whomever gave me the Coneflower ... bless them ... I have been trying to grow one for years and this one is growing so beautifully. My neighbor Mattie, just loves it ... she let me plant stuff on her side of the place too .. she is cripple and cant do much ... she cant wait to see what I come home with from the next Swap. lol

This message was edited Jun 28, 2007 8:13 PM

This message was edited Jun 28, 2007 8:33 PM

Dallas, TX

My Black & Blue Salvia is just awsome ... I could pot some of that up too, but I am kind of partial to them. LOL
Linda is this one of those gingers? It look different from the others ... and something is sucking the life out of them and my Cannas

Dallas, TX

Josephine check out my Texas Star, It has three blooms on it! This plant and the Golden Rod was was bought over from the old place ... given to me at the last Arlington swap ....so was the B&B and the other stuff I cant Identify.
Bless you guys for getting it to my new place.:)

for some reason I'm low on salvia's. I have two and that is all from all,,,,,, the ones that there are. and the deer don't seem to bother them much so I need lots more!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I am trying to grow cuttings of salvia already.

Dallas, TX

Renatelynne ... is that a hint? LOL I will pot you up some.

*giggle a wish list????

Dallas, TX

Sheila ... dont you forget my Maynight! :)

Sylvia, that Texas Star is looking great, you have taken good care of it and it is paying off. Good for you.
Josephine.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Sorry Sylvia, May Night hasn't come up this year anywhere it was planted. I think the freeze may have gotten it.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

I have May Nights. But I don't have any seedlings, and I have had no luck rooting cuttings. I'll be glad to try again, if someone can tell me what works for them. They are really worth a little extra effort!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Mine self seeded and I didn't collect the seeds because they did. I transplanted the smaller ones in other areas or shared them. So far none have come up, could be we have had so much rain, but not sure. My Mexican Bush Sage is up, but not blooming yet.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

I have salvias of many kinds and will start some cuttings now. Once I see roots, I will post a list. My early spring cuttings worked better than my summer cuttings last year, so I am going to put these in the sunroom where temps are lower than in the greenhouse.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Maynight? I have maynight and will give you some Sylvia - it must be grown from root cuttings from my experence.

Dallas, TX

Pat ny Gayfeather didnt make it ... got anymore laying around?:) ... arent we something? We are not suppose to be starting lists this soon. lol
Does anyone know the names of the plants I pictured above?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Sylvia, I think you have the red Texas Star. I'm interested in what is to the left of it.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Sylvia, I'll definitely have more gayfeather (liatris mucronata). Plenty for everyone who wants some, in fact.

Dallas, TX

Linda, that Goldenrod on the side of it. ... the plants I asked for an ID on post # 3671734. Any Idea?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey Sylvia, FYI you can link the post by right clicking that little blue #, and copy shortcut then right click in your new post and paste. You get this:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3671734

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Sylvia, the plant to the left of the coneflower looks like mealy cup sage, salivia farinacea. I brought you some in April. Here's what it will look like when it really gets going: http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/80251/

Dallas, TX

Wow Pat, that is so pretty! I cant wait for my neighbor to see it. ... and ... now i remember it coming from the April Swap ... most all the stuff out front is from april .. thank you
Sheila Did you see the front when you were here? Its a lot out there.
Thanks for the inservice ;)

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

And, Sylvia, I have a good supply of the mealy cup sage too if you would like more. Just let me know!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a salvia that someone gave me, it looks like the black & blue, but without the black...anyone know what the name is? I didn't put a plant tag on it when I planted it last year.
Oh, and yes Sylvia, I did notice how pretty and full the front was near the doors. I was going to go back out and look again, but was too tired to care after we worked all day. LOL!

This message was edited Jun 30, 2007 8:14 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.