Time to vote! Choose your favorite images in our annual Photo Contest HERE

What's up with Tradscantia blushing bride

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

It's a tropical, i've grown it twice, and it didn't come back , so I postedit in this section.

I bought one not long ago, and was told to keep it inthe sun for full variegated leaves. That crazy thing is in full sun, and it's green as the grass, it does have a tad of white in the leaves. I've always been discouraged with this plant. It's suppose to have pink in the leaves. It came with pink in the leaves.

Anybody else grow this? what do you do to keep it nicely variegated.

kathy

Sydney, Australia

Hi ...never grown it myself....but my book says although some take sun...they prefer semi shade ...a lot of my varigated things seem to do much better in the semi shade to retain the good colour...good luck try one more time in a shadier position.:)

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Kathy, Are you talking about a variety of the herb - like plant Tradescantia? If so, you probably want it in, as Chrissy mentioned a shadier place....I believe it is like other swampy and bog loving herbs....which would indicate shade to me. If you are talking about a different plant, I'm afraid I can't be much help. Hopefully others will jump in here and give you some more good info.....Chrissy will be the first, but I also wish you good luck in a shadier spot.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

NO it's just like a waundering jew same family, but this one is pink w/white in the leaves too.

and I hav grown it in semi shade for months and it never did a thing either.

I contacted the seller and he said dappled, but another person selling it on ebay said if it's not in full sun it will turn green, they also said to cut the green off so it can start over and come out variegated. I've done that once, now I guess I have to do it again. it's frustrating is all

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Maybe you just got a stubborn one. :-)

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

lol. There are plenty of plants out there that don't do what they are supposed to do.

Hayward, CA

The full sun was too much for the variegated leaves-and killed them.What survived are the all green leaves.Move it to bright shade and the variegated leaves will start to show up-as they do prune off the all green leaves and stems a little at a time to get it back to the way it was.The all greens are the competition.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2007 6:06 PM

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

here it says it like part to full shade

http://www.brecks.com/product.asp?pn=68224&bhcd2=1182560408

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

here it says it looses it as the season goes on

http://worldplants.com/tradescantia.htm

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

says shade is better for the variegation

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.