Varieties of Saxifraga paniculata

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

It's the peak season of S. paniculata in Newfoundland at the moment. Here are some of the many varieties I have. This is the standard species.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Saxifraga paniculata Minutifolia...the flowers on this dwarf variety are unspotted (the standard species has fine red spots)

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

S. paniculata 'Lutea' with primrose-yellow flowers.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

S. paniculata ssp. cartiliginea...the cultivar 'Forster's Red' look the same florally but the rosettes are quite different.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

S. paniculata Punctatissima, a heavily spotted form.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

S. paniculata Hartside Creme....just the slightest yellowish tint.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

There are many more forms but the differences are mainly in the size and colour of the rosettes. here is one of my small troughs featuring S. paniculata 'Minutifolia' (left), S. panicula 'Rex' (middle) and S. callosa (right)

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
somewhere, PA

Thanks for the wonderful tour of saxes! I am so intriqued with them
but just haven't have much luck with the silver ones. But I'll keep trying.

Here's a green sax in my garden. I've lost the tag. Its gently self-seeding
so I guess I've made it happy.

Tam

Thumbnail by Tammy
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Tammy, that looks like S. cortusifolia var. fortunei (aka S. fortunei)...that type is not hardy in my area.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Todd, & Tammy, they are all so beautiful. I really like the Punctatissima with the 'freckles'. I've been looking and looking at alpines, but have overshot my plant budget by so much this year I can't even find it anymore LOL. dream & plan, dream & plan

(Zone 5a)

Beautiflul Saxifrages Todd and Tammy :-)

(Zone 4a)

As usual, you both grow splendid plants.

If I live cloe to either of you, there would be a few missing
from your gardens.

Corinne

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I wouldn't claim this is a good specimen or anything (unfortunately, I have been better generally at killing saxifrages than growing them!), but I'm quite surprised to have had a Saxifraga fortunei v. rubrifolia come through 2 winters now, without any protection. No blooms as yet, so conditions (mostly shade, humusy, leaf-moldy soil) probably aren't quite what it wants... uhh, did I mention that saxifrages kind of baffle me? I certainly didn't expect it to winter over here, at any rate!

Thumbnail by altagardener
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I lost my S. fortunei in the winter...its amazing yours is surviving considering how much colder you are than I am. If it does flower, its very late in the fall. Mine bloomed in October. I grew mine in a shady location. Encrusted saxifrages generally grow very well in Calgary...I know several CRAG members who have spectacular collections.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Hmm, October.... well, the colchicums and autumn crocus manage it somehow despite the frost (even into December on one occasion, incredibly!) And since it is under a tree canopy, that may help a bit.
I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if it shows any signs of intending to bloom this year. Thanks for the info! Yes, I must get more involved with CRAGS - a terrific resource there for learning about alpines!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.