Time to vote! Choose your favorite images in our annual Photo Contest HERE

Ice Cream Bean Tree...anyone know anything about this one?

Sydney, Australia

I was given some Ice Cream Bean seeds about 3 years ago....they are all about 8/9 ft tall now the plants I mean ...pretty.Could any one who has grown them give me a clue re care (pruning etc) and what you think of them as in eating.Are the flowers pretty and smell good? do they taste ok ?and any uses ...in recipes.
Thank you :)

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I have some that I grew from seed, but haven't gotten any blooms on them, yet. I think they are like albizias, and can take a few years to mature before setting flowers and seeds?
The flowers look a lot like albizia julibrissin, except they are white. The goo that surrounds the seeds inside the pod is supposed to taste good, but as I said, I've not had one, yet...
I was told the Inga 'edulis' variety was the hardiest, and was hardy to zone 9, and possibly 8 with the right conditions
-T

Sydney, Australia

Thanks for your answer I am surprised you have it in Texas...as it is a tropical tree is yours healthy? mine is very lush...looks great and is still growing madly even though it is winter....hope you are coping with the heat ...we heard on the news that you are all expecting killer heat in the days to come...I am thinking of you all.thanks again chrissy :)

I overwinter it in the greenhouse, although I've been told it might survive here. I just haven't tried an extra one in the ground to check...

Mine is very lush right now. It was pretty sad looking a few months ago, but we've had a lot of rain, and very mild temperatures, and it is putting out new leaves that are just huge.

Sure wish it would flower!

Sydney, Australia

Yes even if it does not it is a nice looking tree...I found it in a gardening book and the book says that it is used in coffee plantations to shelter the coffee trees .Also says that because it is a legume it provides the soil with nitrogen and nurtures the surrounding plants.So I will love it any way (ps) it says the flowers are fragrant too which is a bonus......good luck with yours.:)

You, too. Hope we get to taste "ice cream" one day soon. :0)

bundaberg, Australia

For chrissy100
In my journal with DG i wrote on SEP. 29 2006. "This tree has been in ground 2 1/2 yrs. Since spring is covered in short thick clusters of flower pods brown in colour. First flowering/fruiting the fruit pods in this area are short and thick unlike the tropical climate where the pods are 18" long. As the name suggests inside the fruit is soft/white tasting like Vanila ice-cream". I did not get any develoved fruit. Ireceived the info from a guy selling plants at our local markets. So you see by my photos i pruned the Ice-Cream Bean back for my own access to other trees etc and glad i did as it will more than likely grow and fruit better from now on. I will include my e-mail if you wish more info. [email protected]

Thumbnail by tulloch52
bundaberg, Australia

For chrissy100

Thumbnail by tulloch52
Sydney, Australia

Wow I love your orchard! well the beans I planted came from the fruit of a tree grown in Bringelly ...only a five min drive from here.It was from a tree that was covered in fruit and the owners said the pulp was delicious....the pods they said ranged from 5/9 inches long and that the flowers were lovely and fragrant too.I don't know how long the tree had lived there....as mine is only a seedling it may take a while to flower....I remember that they said the fruit was ready to eat in Autumn and that the seed is only viable for a short time. I love to grow unusual things and I am very curious as to what other trees you have there...*grinning* my other rather different tree is a Budda's hand which fruits well and get's lots of oohs and ahhs
do you know it? thanks for the great pictures.....looks like a great garden hmmmm wonder what else is growing there *hinting*
:)

bundaberg, Australia

FOR CHRISSY 100
Yes i do know the Budda's Hand but i have enough Citrus now but i would graft one on to a non performing orange if i could find a cut
ting of one here? See photo which i have cut back for grafting on to. Ok i will list my back yard trees for your interest. Citrus-(Orange-Lemon-Mandarin-Lime-Cumquat-Tangerine-Tangelo) GUAVA(Aussie-Hawaiin-Thai-Indian-fejoa-Strawberry+Yellow)Acerola&Brazilian Cherry-Wampee-Madrono-Canistel-Pomegranate(Dwarf)-Nashi Pear-Wax Jambu-Pommelo-Mango(Bowen)-Lipstick Tree-Giant Lau Lau-Chestnut-Ambarela-Peanut Butter Tree-Tamarind(Small Leaf)-Japanese Raisin-Sapote(Green&Choc. Pud)-Sea Grape-Peach-Pear-Plum-Peachcot-Loquat-Ice Cream Bean-Carambola-Star Apple-Rose Apple-Golden Dorset Apple-Santol-Macadamia-Cherimoya-Jambolin Plum-Noni Fruit-Sweet Leaf Bush-Sapodila-Panama Berry-Candlenut-Longan-Grumachama(Black&White)-Mulberry(Black&White)-Cape Gooseberry-Dragon Fruit-Cabbage Tree. Now Chrissy100 do not ask how the fruit tastes on every tree as most have only been in ground in last 1-2-3 yrs.but not everything is a success of course. All The Best Bazza.

Thumbnail by tulloch52
Sydney, Australia

Wow!I am green bazza....My cousin lives in "Bundy" and is always telling me I have to sell up and move there.......trouble is I don't do heat very well.She tells me the weather up there is sublime but I need my seasons.How long have you lived there? and she right about the weather I think your garden sounds like Eden.....but what of the dreaded cane toad?.Which one is your favourite tree?. I admit to have been looking through the Daley's catalogue...is that where you bought your trees?here is my list...not as exotic as yours but pretty good passionfruit (hope that counts because I love them x3 a red /yellow and black....plus a tropical alata....with heavenly flowers but fruits only now and then....sugar bananas... fruiting every season.....two lemons ....three mandarines...a maltese blood orange....a ruby grapefruit...dozens of wonderful cape gooseberries (bought those seeds from a lady in Bundaberg)
eating them now (love them)Italian green grape...the Italian "strawberry grape''....white chokos ...lots of different vegs and herbs....pomegranite large fruiting (and many seedlings from that ...the strawberry guava...the pineapple guava....the green shattoot mulberry....the green sapote....3 persimmons...non acid type.....1 Elberta peach...3 plums ....1 pink lady apple (fruited last year):) 1 quince .....crabapple....1 necterine....1 apricot....2 fruiting olives...1 buddahs hand and 1 kaffir lime ...1 mini Tahitian lime...about ten avacados (no fruit yet can't resist the seeds ;) but one is 16 years old ...so ...oh well ...nice trees anyway!..large bay tree......well I think that is about it ...not as exciting as yours but we are eating stuff out of the garden all the time and that is what it is all about......thanks so much for letting me peek into your garden it sounds like you are living your dream....good on you...sing out if you want a cutting of the buddah's hand....no worries...thanks again
...oops forgot my bean trees but you already know about them....had a frost but they are ok....chrissy ...happy gardening:)

Crissy-
Is this what "strawberry grape" is? http://www.deliziosodeli.co.uk/acatalog/Italian_Deli_Online_Strawberry_grape_jam_58.html
Sounds wonderful!

Sydney, Australia

Hi seedpicker_TX Well I don't know the Botanical name but it is called the strawberry grape because the Italian community (from North Italy) call it the strawberry (in Italian)....in the late 40's it was smuggled into this country by homesick migrants ....and every ex pat gardener from over there has this growing in ther garden....it is a dark ruby/purple and fruits it's head off....the taste? the best grape I have ever tasted! I will try to track the correct name down for you.

My mouth is watering, lol...I'd love to know the name...grapes grow really well where I live...
May just have to hunt one down!
-T

Sydney, Australia

Sorry I did not comment on your link....seedpicker...I did some research for you....yes it is the Fragola grape ...but many sites say it is the Isabella grape....now I am not a professor or anything ....so this is my own thought....The grape I grow is said to be banned from export out of Italy now because it produces a wine with an alcohol content that is too high for some regulation or other.So this is why it was smuggled perhaps....however the Isabelle is similar but NOT the same as this one that the Italian community have been growing...it looks similar but is bigger and the flavour is not as good in my opinion.It would if anything be a cross or another variety.The "strawberry" was grown in the cold places- and was the
best grape to grow in these areas.My husband is from the Northern region at the foot of the mountains ......snow for many months!
However it does not require cool conditions. I love it ...it fruits like mad!....I would suggest you go find some Northern Italian folk and sure enough they will have one growing....they strike 100% from cuttings....in fact they came out in cuttings that travelled for months on the ships ...hidden in luggage .....decades ago.

Oh, I love a good hunt. You've got me going, lol...

I wouldn't make wine with them, I'd just eat them, but interesting to know about the alcohol, although it does't make sense to me, since we sell everclear...can't get any stronger than that...

Speaking of everclear and Italians, have you ever tried limoncello?? I recently followed a recipe that was touted as being an "authentic" Italian recipe calling for lemon peel, everclear, and sugar...

Super strong drink, and couldn't take more than a few tiny sips, but man! It was such a wonderful lemon-y taste...

It was too strong to drink, so we started putting it on berries or icecream as a drizzle...supposedly if you are Italian, you serve this as an apertif after a meal...

Sydney, Australia

Ha ha ha yes I have tried the lemon stuff....what they do is dip those sponge finger biscuits into their sweet wines and it becomes a dessert! About the alcohol I did not know that until I looked it up
....it makes a fine jam and and is also cooked up in a bread to be eaten with cheese.....I have only discovered this when I went loking as far as I can tell my husband's family just eat them.The only thing they sometimes make is grappa....mate! now that is STRONG!!!!
they tell me that back home everyone has some grappa going on.I do a thing with raisins and what you do is pack a layer of raisins ...then a layer of glace ginger another layer if raisins etc until the top of the jar (pack down firmly) then pour a good brandy over to cover and seal.Every now and then shake and turn upside down
after about a month you can eat...(allow for swelling of the raisins)
this is what you have in the Winter as a tonic .....it also is sublime with ice cream....hot custard....or watever way you like ...very good with coffee.Someone (ozzy) I gave a jar to (for a Christmas) present ....said he liked it so much he put it on his Corn Flakes :)

Yes, I agree how strong grappa is, lol....I made a recipe for vanilla pudding(the real stuff with split vanilla pods & cooked from scratch), and it called for a grappa topping. That stuff was like gasoline!
We made the desert again, but elected NOT to include the grappa, lol...
-T

Sydney, Australia

Are you sure you didn't have to flame it? like bombe alaska ha ha ha...hic!

I think if someone lit a match that night we had grappa pudding, the entire room would have ignited, just from our exhale, lol...

For some conservative adults just trying to try a new sophisticated dessert, we all got pretty sloppy drunk

Sydney, Australia

Yeh I am a cheap drunk hic half an inch of port or 5 of those brandied raisins and I giggle for an hour ha ha ha .......well good luck with your Fragola search .....if there is a legal way to send you a pices I will but try your Italian (Northern) friends first.....let me know how you go :)

I've found a place that will sell me an Isabella, but you said that is different, right?

Also, I found one list that said concord is one of the many synonyms??? I have concord, already...that is the one that our common grape jelly is supposedly made from...

I also posted in the trading forum, but no responses...a strawberry flavored grape just sounds so good!
-T

Sydney, Australia

Well it does say that it is the same thing but I have tried the Isabella-it does not taste the same- although musky.....the fragola that came out here all those years ago ....is a parent plant in my opinion
and I think that the Isabella ...Concord....or which ever name they choose is a close one but not the same....they used to make a wine from it in Italy called Fragolina (I think) but it is only the real Italian made Fragolina that you want.Many imitations but according to the Italians growing them.....there is only one authentic....Fragola....why don't you try the others in the same way..
you never know do you they may be ok and if you haven't had a Fragola you might be happy with them.:)

Yes, I've you've never tried ice cream, then you maybe happy with dirt, lol...just kidding. I'm sure Isabella is noteworthy, but I trust you and the Italians. They wouldn't be saying it is different, if it weren't...

I came across a site while googling this, and found a place(overseas) that mentioned how popular their fragolina wine was, and how it was "quickly disappearing from the shelves"...

Back to the original subject, I think my ice cream bean tree looks as healthy as it ever has looked...it is mid-summer here...hope that is when it begins to flower. I'd sure hate to think I'm gonna have to wait another year to see flowers.

Sydney, Australia

Well it hit -3 degrees this morning...cel, so I hope my ice cream bean will be ok....it is soooo cold! (well to an Ozzy any way) ...how cold does it get over there?.....good luck in your quest for the strawberry grape....ask around the Italians.On a UK site I saw that they sell varieties of strawberry grapes.....variety being the key word
however you never know- they may have a variety that is even better than the original.....:) chrissy

Sydney, Australia

Bazza do you know anything about the Rollina deliciosa?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.