hummers at last

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

That's -4degrees Fahrenheit for anybody who's wondering. Cold!

Marlton, NJ

Wow I read all 3 pages of that thread. He really got some nice pics of her. I hope everyone is able to view all that.

So they have a mutation?

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Great Pictures of hummingbirds. I feel like I am in "Hummingbird Heaven!"

Richland, MS(Zone 8a)

Does anyone make a feeder with a heater. Would a small aquarium heater work? What about a heating cable used to keep seedlings warm in a hot bed?

Frank

Richland, MS(Zone 8a)

Today's hummer photo

Thumbnail by fchisolm
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Smile for the camera! Cute

Frank, if I could find or buy a heater that would fit my feeder, or a feeder that came with one, I sure would (budget willing...)
fwiw, I ended up with the floodlight because my feeder is plastic and kind of small. I couldn't figure out anything else that might not be too much for the feeder. I thought about a birdbath heater, but it was way too big for the feeder.

Marlton, NJ

Very cute photo Frank!

Heres a link for you about maintaining feeders in cold weather. Scroll down to the second paragraph. He lists 2 ways he likes.
http://www.hummingbirdsplus.org/winterfeeder.html

This message was edited Aug 5, 2007 6:59 AM

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow, great pictures everyone! And really interesting info on roufus hummers overwintering in the east Resin. I have been hearing reports around here of a few overwintering. For a while the Bristol Tn newspaper reported on a few that spent the winter there. I couldn't find any of the articles on line but did find this blurb from the notes of the pres. of the Bristol bird club. I thought this was interesting because of the mention of the lamp providing a heat source.

"I have an update on the Rufous Hummingbird spending the winter at the Valley Forge home of J.D. and Billie Merritt. The hummingbird is still with them. The small bird has become a most welcome guest. The bird roosts in a cedar tree. “I usually step outside every morning and speak,” Billie Merritt wrote to me in an e-mail. “Believe it or not, she flies out and perches on the outer limbs and starts chirping.”

During cold weather, she added, the hummingbird has stayed neared a heat lamp located near the feeder to keep the sugar water from freezing."

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Pelletory,

Good link, thanks! I've been doing the first method, but the second is very intriguing.

Cedar Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I remember reading somewhere last year, that the hummers who are doing "aberrant" migration or none at all, in cold climates, go into a sort of suspended animation or hibernation when they sleep, that slows down the body functions pretty drastically. In my same readings, last year, I saw mentioned that one theory was the occurrence of more feeders in the US mid-west, especially for the hummers who are migrating east, instead of south, in the US.

I keep feeders up well into December just for any late arrivals. We are on the migratory path somewhat. They usually get here much sooner than they do in most of the US and leave much later.

We are supposed to have Black Chinned out here in addition to the Ruby Throated. It is really difficult to tell the difference; almost impossible with juveniles and females. I haven't been able to identify a Black Chinned yet, though. I've noticed, for years, that some of them are a little different but couldn't put my finger on just what it was.

I was planning on leaving at least one feeder up this past winter, after reading about over-winterers but had to go out of country on Christmas day for over a month (to the jungle in Mexico no less where I did get to see lots of hummers but none of ours), and couldn't maintain the feeder.

I'm going to keep one up this winter and hope I can be here throughout the winter.

BTW....Most days during the winter, because of our pretty warm, short winters, and blazing sun, I keep the greenhouses open a bit during the day. There are always some plants flowering all winter and certainly some bugs for them to eat. I've had other species nest in the greenhouses, winter and summer, but I've never seen any sign of hummers summer or winter in them. A wren built a nest in one this spring, laid some eggs, but I guess maybe I scared her one too many times, or it got too hot, as she abandoned the nest with 5 beautiful little, unhatched eggs.

gg=alice

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I forget where I saw this but I seem to remember seeing a tv show about hummingbirds that mentioned that some of the varieties that live in S. America near the Andes mountains spend the nights high on the mountains in a state of torpor. In the morning they come down in elevation where the flowers are and resume their active high speed life style.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Mite this be it, or jes something similar .. lilyfantn -?-

Quite interesting ..
> http://www.news.wisc.edu/3017.html

- Magpye

Apparently nothing similar (lol)! My apologies ..

This message was edited Aug 5, 2007 9:39 PM

Marlton, NJ

Oh I just had something cool happen. I was watching a hummer on my porch near the potted Lantana; he must have seen me and flew to just within an inch of the sliding glass doors and hovered for quite a while checking me out going up and down.
What was he thinking? ( Maybe, "You look terrible in those Pajamas",lol). Then he went on to sample the goodies from the B&B Salvia and Lantana and drink from the feeder. I watched as he went to both peanut silos and a nyger feeder checking them out. Next he went to a new little plant I had just put in a week ago; Agastache "Tutti Frutti", he really loved that one! Nice to see success with a new plant. They are so fun to watch!

Cedar Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I had a great experience yesterday while sitting on the deck with DH (That was a treat in and of itself as he hardly ever sits out there with me.)

I've never actually seen a hummer bathing although I have a constant dripper in my big, concrete birdbath and placed a "hummer mister" around to several different spots last year. Never saw any show any interest.

I have a really cool copper feeder or bath that is a big copper tubing circle, ~26" diameter, with two copper hummers flaring out at the top, and a copper pan at the bottom. Last year that was where I finally stationed the mister until the hose going to it burst (or munched by squirrels or rats who love to keep me busy repairing the plant drip system tubing).

I had a drip going into that all last week but never saw a hummer show any interest. The tubing dislodged so I turned it off a few days ago. Yesterday I secured it and let the water run instead of drip. Within a few minutes a hummer flew in and out of the stream several times and actually went down into the water a couple of times. DH even got to see it.

I didn't have my camera handy, darn. But finally SUCCESS. We'll see if they continue to use it.

The smaller birds use that but I've never seen any interested in it when I had the mister going.

BTW... I use people "potable" water supply hoses for the birdbaths to cut down on contaminants from the brass fittings and garden hose materials contaminants.

gg=alice

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Quote from lilyfantn :
I saw something I have never seen before - one of the hummers visited the nandina flowers. I didn't think they liked nandinas. (sorry the pic is so blurry)

Were there tiny bugs on that Nandina . . . ? They just use nectar for energy to get around on, but they have to have insects in their diet to maintain their health. (:

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This was a duplicate of my prior post, which I have deleted the best way I know how. (:

This message was edited May 10, 2018 10:14 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.