SOLVED: ROAD SIDE LILY

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I gathered these from the road side right before the grass cutting machine was going to destroy. Any one know what the name of this lily is? Thanks

Thumbnail by Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

They are on tall stalks. This one is about 5 feet tall.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

dont' know what it is, but you're a lucky dog!!!!

Princeton, NJ(Zone 6a)

Possibly Lilium centifolium

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

You want to share?????

"eyes"
=^}

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Anyone know how to gather the seeds.

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

If it puts on a pod, after the flowers fall off, let it stay on till it turns brown and/or begins to crack open. Have you ever seen the seedpods from bearded iris, Most lily seedpods are rather like that. If my advice helps any. save me a few seeds!

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Eyes and MsBatt emil me your address. I let the pods dry and then gathered the seeds as the pod busted. I planted them and had forgotten about you postings that you wanted some. These are the ones I am growing to take to the meeting in Tn. I hope to have enough that I can give everyone that comes a pot of these.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

O you bet Jim!! These are beautiful!! I do want some!! Let me know K?!!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh boy, thanks GRC, this alone would be worth the trip. I'll bet you aren't the only one who plans to share goodies!!!

Temple, GA(Zone 7b)

Ok, Mollybee what time are we leaving? Gotta have one of those lily's. And by the way GRC, how long has it been since that mower came thru, and where was it? I know how to get to Lagrange!

Thanks, Traci

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Jim, please put my name on one! That is absolutely gorgeous. I try to grow lilies for the granddarling, Lillian, and this looks like the perfect addition. I would like for her to personally get it from you if possible. But she is subject to shy spells so you might have to turn your back and hand it to her blind. Would you?

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

GRC, is it a Formosa Lily?

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I really don't know the name but I bet after the meeting in June someone will know.LOL My wife did find some in a catalogue that looked the same that had them listed as ANGEL TRUMPET LILY but no Latin name. I have been back to the area where I got these but I must have done an excellent job of getting them. I beat someone else to them. When I noticed these beauties beside the road I stopped and someone had put stakes beside eeach plant. I guess they were waiting for them to bloom and was coming back for them.. BTW I know how to do a link from another site to Dave's but how do you link from the forum to another forum? Any one want to step forward. Thanks I know someone will.

Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

The lily is:
Formosaum -Philippenece.

If there were a million paper thin tan seeds in the pods. Mine got to 6ft. last summer.

Honeybee

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Honeybee, maybe it is a Half-FORMOSAUM-PHILIPPENECE it only had a half million seeds. Honeybee, my wife will tell you I ain't lying but we found one away from the rest of the group in a thick owergrowth area about 12 feet tall. It had one bloom on it. This was after I brought it to my yard. A bird dropped a seed I guess. Mine gets about 3-5 feet tall. Thanks for the info I will try to find some information on it.

This message was edited Wednesday, Feb 6th 9:35 AM

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Jim, What a beautifull lilly!! I wont be able to make it to TN ..( Way to far for me to go :-(
But, If you have any left, I would love to have one!

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

can I beg some seeds if at all possible? I dont do much begging !! LOL

Mark

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I posted Honeybee's suggestion in the plant database a few months ago. Hope this helps. http://plantsdatabase.com/go/1050.html

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Whoops. Jim, you can link the same way. Just go to the page you want to link and right click in the addy box. Select copy and go to where you want to link it and right click and select paste. Is that what you wanted to know?

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Iris I have one with your name on it.
Mark I think I will have enough for you. I will check my seeds tomorrow and let you know.
Thanks Badseed. I tried that once and it wouldn't work. Maybe a glich in the system at that time.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

GRC,
Please save me a seed or two.When my kids were small they brought me a beautiful white lily type flower that they found in a field by our house. When I saw the flower I asked them to show me where they found it. After hunting over an hour we finally found the broken stalk. Well, I dug it up and it died down but came up the next year and bloomed again. Someone else liked it also bucause she dug it up while I was gone.I have never seen another one around here since.This one had a very strong fragrance at night too.This one must have been dropped by a bird also. The only thing in that field was grass and weeds.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Me too, Jim....can I..huh..can I?

"eyes"

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Jim I was planning on coming anyway but now I gotta have one. lol

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Well I finally found my book on lilies and I think it is the formosanum trumpet lily. The book says there are over a 100 different varities. It is from Taiwan. My book says it is easily raised from seed to flower the following season. My interpertation of this is it will bloom this year. My wife says it will skip a year before blooming.Anyone have any idea on the blooming?
I have 64 pots that I started in trays and transplanted to pots. I have no idea how many I will be taking to the meeting in Tn. maybe I should have every one that wants one to email me and I will put them on the list. Eyes, Mystic Aimee, Azalea and Cala I will have one for ya'll. I have a few seeds left that I promised to Mollybee and Mark. If I have any left after that I will have TraciS and Busybee
on the list. If I don't have enough I will save some off this years crop and ya'll will have first choice. MsBatt will you be at the meeting in Tn.? If not I'll put you on the seed list also.

This message was edited Saturday, Feb 23rd 8:42 AM

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Jim, I would love to go on that seed list, for now or later! Thanks, John

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh please, could I be on your seed list for next year if you don't have 2 or 3 seeds left? Thank you, Doris

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Sure John and Doris. It will have to be next year I'm afraid.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

GRC, would you please put on the seed list for next year? We don't have such pretty roadside flowers here!
Thank you,
Connie

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Connie You will have some next year.

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

Yep, that's what it is. I got 5 million seeds out of this baby. Have started about 25 in seed starter pots, and the germination rate is wonderful. Mine are about 2" tall now, starting to sprout the 3rd & 4th stalk. Question is, which came first, the chicken or the egg? I bought this as a very expensive bulb. It grew so well and was so beautiful and produces many seeds. Now, what will those seeds do? WIll they make a bulb? Will they bloom this year or next? How does this work?

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Agapanthus, please keep us posted! Don't you love it when you pay a bundle for a bulb and it turns into a plant factory?

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

Will do. Now they are just getting their third and fourth little stem. I'd be willing to bet they won't bloom till next year, but you never know. Wish I could make the TN meeting, but can't. Do still have some seeds left if anyone wants some. Maybe we could do a research project on bloom time.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

And don't forget the little baby bulbs attached to the parent - they can be taken off and replanted!!

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

Havn't seen any offshoots yet. "Course nothing is ready this early. I guess when you see the little sprouts coming up beside mama, is time to dig up and take off babies?

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

I don`t think I would disrupt the mother plant. It may affect the blooming for this year. Maybe wait until it dies back then dig up and remove the bulblets only if you want to relocate them, otherwise I would let the clump get a little bigger.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes, I should have included that info in my post, Thanks busybee!! I always naturally assume that folk know not to disturb something unless it is dormant or has stopped flowering!! If there are people who are new to gardening they probably wouldn't know this!! How remiss of me!!

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, like you I know that, but should make things very clear when you write or reply to something. busybee, just got your address. Don't bother with that SASE, for the few you want I think I can do 34 cents. Will mail out tomorrow.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey whoa!!!! I did apologise for my omission!!! You should have had the courtesy to accept my apology without the smart answer!! We only try to help, never said I was perfect!!

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

ooopppssss, if that's me you're talking to, I never thought for a second that my reply might be taken as a smart answer!!!!!!!! Please don't think I did...I thought I was just agreeing with your statement,louisa. I don't think you have to aplogise at all, but of course will accept it. Now will you forgive me for my goof? Aga

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.