Thumbnail by todgor
West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ayers White Knight:

Thumbnail by todgor

Kenora Sunset:

Thumbnail by todgor
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I like them all. How big is Camano Titan?

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Nice!!

Aptos, CA

Very beautiful Tod...wow

Al, Camano Titan was a good 8 inches (billed at 12). Though I much prefer the fuller ginormous ones, that have more heft.

Delhi, IA

Great show!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Nice, I love spikey Dahlias!

Joanne

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Great growing Todd. Kenora Sunset is wow! But then there's Kenora WOW too. How's a person supposed to choose? Enjoy those blooms, they're all nice

Simple, Annie, shocking red plus yellow = great! But I actually didn't choose it, it was a freebie sent with my order. The second bloom on it looks like it had the color sucked out of it, unfortunately.

Aptos, CA

Tod, I am tired of taking the camera to the garden...hahaha...but you will have to consider" Penhill Watermelon, and Penhill Dark Monarch for next year...I think of you every time I see them...they are humungous!

Sudhira, I had Penhill Dark Monarch last year, in fact I paid $12 for it, but it never came up, probably due to the great tuber rot (it rained for a month straight). Now my list is getting 2 years long!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Tod those are gorgeous! Love Camano Titan, but the Color on the Kenora Sunset is magnificent! I know exactly what you mean when you say the color was sucked out -- great way to describe it. What causes it, do you suspect?

SUzy

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

gosh, I have to vote for Camano Titan tonight LOL! It reminds me of the muted deep pink and yellow bits of Otto's Thrill, but with a fuller, flouncier petalage. Tomorrow night, maybe I'll vote for Ayers White Knight :) Nice going Todd.

Suzy, I was contemplating that today as I ran my bud inspection, there were three very tiny and pale Kenora Sunset flowers so far. Also, I don't know if its only the one plant yet, but my next Camano Titan bloom is really substandard in size. Its not like I have been stingy on the phosphorus. Perhaps its the water supply? BTW very few of my plants had a bud arrangement and timing like the disbudding pictures. Many seem to have only two stems with buds on a branch instead of three or four. And in many cases, the side buds don't show themselves until the central bud has grown fairly large, I thought I read you have to clip the side ones early to get the effect.

Annie - flouncier? LOL!

OK, back for some more! Here's what was supposed to be Bert Pitt, but apparently is Baron Chris:

Thumbnail by todgor

Camano Sitka:

Thumbnail by todgor

Corin (kind of looks like its burning hot!)

Thumbnail by todgor

Formby Kaitlin (you have to get this one, its big and deeeep purple):

Thumbnail by todgor

OK, this poor Goshen Giant suffered through a powerful rainstorm, so it is a little worse for wear:

Thumbnail by todgor

Jocondo (was raining and hard to get a good photo, but another deeep purple giant):

Thumbnail by todgor

Lydia Suckow (get this one also, very deep color!):

Thumbnail by todgor

And lastly a very sad and poorly formed Vassio Megos, hope the next flower looks more to form (like a pink Spartacus):

Thumbnail by todgor
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Looks great Tod, no rain here for quite a while.

I vote for(patent pending Suzy!)Corin,Formby Kaitlin and Vassio Meggos. How big is Corin?
How's the big new bed working out?

Al, I seem to be missing one of the side buds a lot lately, so Corin was only about 6 inches (its an A). Why does that second side bud wait so long to show itself? :)

The beds are good, except when the water soaks out the insides between them, I have to put something down there to keep from stepping in mud. Also my three Big Wows are getting really tall, and being an extra 11 inches off the ground means I need a new taller step ladder! But they do discourage the walking pests a bit from climbing up there, and the drainage is good.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

WOW - O! Those even look humongous. You can't always tell in the pictures..but those you sort of can, you know?

I vote for Lydia Suckow, but I would change the name to plain ole Lydia as soon as I acquired it. Or Lydia S. (I better be careful, she's probably on DG with us as I type LOL!)

Suzy

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

You'll have to get some stepping stones or something on the paths. I suppose you might have to break out the pole pruners.

Here's a group shot:

Thumbnail by todgor
Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Tod, I like your "group shot". It is always fun to see the gardens in addition to the individual blooms. (And your blooms are gorgeous too!)

Aptos, CA

Fantastic...they are all so gorgeous...congrats on your good growing.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Very nice flowers Todd. I have been told by another local dahlia fan that I must have Lydia Suckow. Would you second that idea based on your experience with it? I love the flouncy LOL, inflamed look of Corin. Great colors.

Did Vassio Megos open up for you? Still looks good to me, just as it is.

Yes, Annie, I would definately recommend Lydia Suckow, my camera cannot capture how deep the color was. The Vassio Megos never really opened like it should. Some dahlias seem harder than others to get the ideal bloom form, I've got some more buds on it so I'll see soon.

I am back for a few, should be accelerating soon!

Here is Cheerleader:

Thumbnail by todgor

A rather smallish Conquistador (a small plant too!)

Thumbnail by todgor

A sort of dark and ominous shot of Holland Festival :)

Thumbnail by todgor

Big Wow (everything is big about this big plant!)

So far I have had one 9" and one 10" bloom

Thumbnail by todgor

To give you an idea of how big Big Wow is (all three plants of it) here is a scale shot of me behind them:

Thumbnail by todgor
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Big Wow on the Big Wow.

Love that Holland Festival

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Jeez Tod - it's like a giant red sunflower, unless of course you are only 4' tall ;) Conquistador looks nice and Holland's Festival is a full flower.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.