Mislabeled gift/trade

(Zone 7a)

Just want anyone to know that may have gotten seed labeled "Sunrise Serenade" from me, that the trader who traded it to me mislabeled it. It looks like: http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/126769/ . (Plus this particular PlantFiles page has problems of its own)

(And so does what came as Indigo Feathers, but that trader was up front with me about not being sure - just interesting that both would be so similar)

Apologies to all

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

Remember to give the feathered type flowers time. Often the first flower is not feathered and you may continue to get non-feathered ones interspersed with feathered ones. This is desirable because it is often the non-feathered blooms that set seeds. The color of the bloom should not vary, though.

I'll be glad to send you some Sunrise Serenade seeds if you like!

This message was edited Jul 31, 2007 1:01 PM

(Zone 7a)

This is awfully nice of you, Beth - I would love some seed. But the following is not to ask for seed, because I just want to fuss - here's company for anyone who's had catastrophically bad luck with their morning glories this year -

We are in Day 5 of a very bad deer invasion. Their favorite munchy is guess what? But, I'm still planting, working on mesh barriers along the property line, planning on spraying Liquid Deer Fence. 30 years ago when I first ventured out with mattock, crowbar & shovel to transform the clay, rock & landfill goodies, deer were not a problem.

100 - 150 MG plants were just beginning to come into bloom, rising up to crossbars and hoops above the garden paths like halls of morning glories over plantings like the caryopteris, aster and cleome (not touched by the deer) under Gardener2005's pink blizzard and blue star mixtures.

Emma's gray and plum MGs were over an alley including iris and thyme. (Deer don't mess with iris or aromatic herbs either unless they're starving, either) Here's how her vines (with some of her rose sild MGs) looked up until this morning -

Thumbnail by bluespiral

Sorry to hear about the deer! We don't have problems right where we live, but some neighbors higher on the hill do!

(Zone 7a)

It was a miracle they hadn't broken in sooner - in the future, will post about our progress in case anyone else might find it helpful.

Here's Evolvulus grandiflorus on the right by the old well with water iris growing out of it. Some of Ron's seeds of Evolvulus nuttallianus are languishing in their 2/19/07 wintersown pot - Ron says these seeds could take 3 years to germinate, so they get watered 2 or 3 times a week. Other of that seed sown warm didn't germinate last summer. Has anyone successfully sown E. nuttallianus and how?

Thumbnail by bluespiral

I am growing some of Ron's Evolvulus arizonicus, but they haven't germinated yet.

(Zone 7a)

:) will be back later - wonder what other variations on germination I might try that I haven't - we'll have to compare notes

Mesilla Park, NM

I'll trade you the Deer for the Train..lol..

(Zone 7a)

lol, A. At least, the train stays on its tracks and you know where it is when it is and it doesn't sneak around silently gobbling up your favorite posies :) I got so mad once I chased a big buck quite a distance down the hill in my red flannel nightgown with a broom. Fortunately, I'm not the only "eccentric" in the neighborhood. Falling in love with MGs certainly hasn't "normalized" me - worth every puzzled look.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

LOL! Well .... it looks like I may be more normal than I thought. I, too, am known to be spotted in my nightie out in my garden! LOL! I am aspiring to be an eccentric gardener in my old age and am currently in training. No deer though .... just the rodents! LOL! Looking at all your beautiful vines ..... ooooh .... I'd be sick if something attacked that many! I guess the question of the day is ..... How to grow MGs when you have wildlife that frequents your yard/garden? Electric fence surrounding our vines?

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

predator urine strategically placed usually works...

(Zone 7a)

We have designer pooches around here now - the neighbor with an attack-trained rottweiler has moved away - not sure the deer would confuse a well groomed poodle with ol' rotty, but she probably would have enjoyed walking around our perimeter when she was here. Her owner kept her "crated" a good bit, poor thing.

Rufus and Kiki - 2 neighbors' cats who have adopted us - keep the perimeter well scent-marked, but it looks like the deer ain't askeered of them.

It sure would be interesting to see how deer would react to various kinds of "zoo poop" - spread in the fall, it's supposed to mellow over the winter and be good fertilizer. I better stop and leave the subject of predator urine in its implicit state. Thanks, Ron. It's just that, durnnit, I deliberately made 4 gates on 4 sides to be sociable, and scent-marking my "hello stations" (which is where the deer are coming in) with predacious urine is most disgruntling.

Becky, I also lack the nerve for this idea, but wouldn't it be hilarious for us to start a thread on "haute horticultural couture"??? The white floaty dress has become a garden cliche, but not enough has been done with deer-rage, I think, and other states of dishevelment in pursuit of our garden dreams.

Well, let's see how the stinky stuff works, along with plugging breaks in our perimeter barrier - unfortunately the back perimeter is planted with something deer like to eat: yew - grr. Changing that will be quite an orthopedic challenge, not to mention monetary. I understand that one especially wants the perimeter - the first thing deer sense - to be repulsive to them. There are some narrow-growing types of box and holly that might do instead - DH and I like to sit and muse and grovel in the dirt in private.

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

bluespiral,

That set up you got there is nifty! I love it. What a unique garden idea.

Karen (blue) - "haute horticultural couture" .....Sorta like the red hat society, huh? LOL!

Here's my latest attempt to grow out some more great MG seeds! I have in up on the backyard table that is about 3' high off the ground. The chicken wire covering the planters is to keep the squirrels from playing in the dirt. They like to do that. After the vines start growing, I'll add some tall bamboo stakes and figure out where to move them next. Or ..... maybe I'll just leave them up there on the table. LOL!

This message was edited Aug 3, 2007 2:39 PM

Thumbnail by beckygardener

Uh, Ron ..... by predator ..... do you mean if I sent the male humans in my household out to pee around my MGs, that it might keep the rodents away?

ROFLMBO!

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Becky - Although human urine is considered to be a topnotch fertilizer when prepared properly,humans haven't been historically eating other animals for as long as wolves,bears,bobcats,coyotes and other mainly carnivorous animals...

Human female urine will sometimes attract large predators like coyotes,wolves and bears...

I mentioned the animal predator urine previously in the following thread...

http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3778147

Hope that provides some help and food for thought...

TTY,...

Ron

(Zone 7a)

Ron, thanks for giving Becky and me so much food for both thought and sillies - lol. Regarding that example of chemistry of human female vs male urine, yup, it does make me wonder if the hierarchical nature of human as predator could ever really yield to ideals like world peace held by some dreamers. May evidence to the contrary not take away hope.

Becky, your table looks like our wintersowing table did, except I didn't give the containers a collective roof - nice. Seems like the chicken wire is perfect for squirrels, but since some of us have seen how far a mouse can travel vertically, how about considering using hardware wire cloth, which has holes 1/4" in diameter instead?

But then you'd have to make a frame so you could elevate the hardwire cloth above the seedlings...? (Also, we wrapped the table legs with sandpaper and haven't had any slugs show up in our containers.)

Y'all, I have to be away for a few days - will be back.

(Zone 7a)

ps - hopefully we have another member on board of how to foil deer in the MG patch - http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/756468/ I outlined our plan of attack in that link, too - 'tis all hypothetical at this point

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.