Post downpour garden stroll...

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

This morning was one of the first mornings in several weeks that I could actually look closely at my garden. I took my camera, and in order of the stroll, here are some of the weather beaten, end of the season beauties still stutting their stuff.

This is from a huge maple willow plant that continues to produce these gems... This plant is protected by the carport overhang..

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

..here is the latest Q0426 duplicate feathered flower.

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

..another lavender maple willow flower

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

..here is a leaf and bud from a plant displaying the characteristic leaf of the delicate gene. Some of the leaves on this plant, and most of them earlier, show a showy curling caused by other factors. I'll show the flower and the curls next...

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

...here is the flower, showing the effects of the rain... This plant is from the same line as many of the lavender maple willow flowers.

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

..and here are the curled delicate leaves... I like the dual horns!

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

..here is one of the blue maple willow flowers..I affectionately refer to as my "Asagao Dancers"...

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

..this flower is from the crystal willow line and shows the effects of the duplicate gene. A flower within a flower...

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

..this as a fertile flower from a plant carrying the maple willow gene as a single recessive factor so it has a normal flower. These plants are the seed source to keep the line going. I thought it handled the rain well..

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

..this is a "seed source" or "parent" plant for the maple willow line in lavender.

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

..this is my sole large flowered JMG blooming this morning and showing the ravages of the rain....or its inability to withstand such...!

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

..here is another pretty blue parent plant flower..

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

..this wet shredded pink Ipomoea purpurea is from a University mix..

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

..here is a mug shot of the only Ipomoea cordatotriloba flower blooming this morning.

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

..these pinks are from my "Princess" project... They are on a plant that will be saved for further development.

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

.. this purple star or "kikyou" collected a nice drink..

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

The last stop on my tour this morning was with the reverse tube white that the rain had its way with... It did give me an opportunity to see a different perspective of this flower form created by the crepe gene. It looks kind of cool with the corolla turned down...

Thanks for coming along...

Arlan

Thumbnail by atenkley
Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

Wow, that is the coolest Arlan! Thanks for sharing!!! I love the flower within a flower.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Arlan, the shredded pink is pretty. Love the Princess Pink.
The purple star is very nice.

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

The curly delicate leaves are fantastic! They look like something out of the garden the Munchkins might grow!

Joseph

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the nice comments.

Gardner2005 - The plant with the duplicate flower within a flower is a particularly nice compact plant as well. I always enjoy it's ruffled flowers. It is too bad that it is sterile....

patootie - The shredded pink plant delayed flowering until the plant is so tall I have to look up at the blooms. I hope it sets seed... The pink flower from the Princess line is from a plant that is showing the small variegated leaf characteristics of the tiny gene and the unique leaf shape and 6 or 7 flower segments of the retracted gene. It has real promise with that clear color.

Joseph - This delicate plant is segregated from the lavender maple willow line. When the delicate gene is present with the maple willow gene, the leaves become very fine and much narrower than the plain maple willow leaves. The flowers also are more finely shredded into very narrow elements. The Japanese call these plants "Thread Willow". This delicate only plant is fertile and is setting seed pods!

Arlan

This message was edited Aug 5, 2007 10:17 PM

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

hi arlan
thanks for posting the pictures...the morning glories are unique and lovely!

pam

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

gorgeous AND informative thread Arlan. (don't know how I missed it!)

Joanne

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks pamsue and Grow-Jo. Here is another flower from the Princess project. I like the two shades of pink in the blizzard.

Arlan

Thumbnail by atenkley
(Zone 7a)

I am really enjoying these garden tours and strolls on this forum. Seeing the old Edo MG woodcuts come alive in your garden along with modern genetic interpretation is an enormous treat, Arlen.

Many thanks
karen

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Lovely pink Arlan.

Jackie

(Zone 7a)

yup. what Patootie said. raises quite a few goosebumps

Mesilla Park, NM

Arlan,
What a nice display.. really like the dual horns..

A.

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks all! I've got to find more time to keep up here!

I took a few more pictures this morning of some newer stuff blooming... this is this morning's version of the Q0426...

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

..a nice pink maple-willow..

Thumbnail by atenkley
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Arlan - Oh my gosh! This bloom is outstanding!!!! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3925127
What does the label Q0426 stand for?

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

..a different perspective of the lavender maple-willow...giving a soft, rounded edge feeling.

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

Becky, thanks!...the Q0426 is a number assigned by the Kyushu University cataloging system as they keep track and perpetuate different JMG lines. The description they assign to this particular line is rather lengthy..yellow water nail dragon leaf lapis lazuli entire wind bell jishi peony.

..this is one of the new dark purple double "Peony" type flowers...

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

...here you can see a reverse tube combined with the duplicate gene...

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

..this is a maple flower..

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

..and this shows the flower with the maple leaf...you can tell why they call this gene the maple gene..

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

..this is becoming one of my favorites...with the white margin...

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

..this is a different system and plant, showing a darker flower and less of a white margin.

Thumbnail by atenkley
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

...and lastly, the white duplicate "peony"....

Arlan

Thumbnail by atenkley
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Arlan - Are you growing these out at the University? The label sounds like an extensive cross of a multi-cultivar feathered vine! They are all amazing! Is Maple Willow a MG, too? Do they call it that because of the leaves on this vine. (Sorry to be so naive.) They are just show stoppers!!!! :-)

This is a KNOCK-OUT!!! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3925197

This message was edited Sep 1, 2007 10:45 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.