West Houston Swap continued...

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I came home with a whole bunch of plants from the swap. All but one little almond verbena cutting made it! I'm so pleased that I had such a great experience for my first swap that I'm afraid I'm spoiled now. Don't know if I could ever have such fun and fellowship....and food again! 'Like the stars and planets alligned and the rain stopped for one day...... I pretty much remember who gave me each plant I took home. That's probably the best part of the swap. I can point to plant and say where I got it and who gave it to me. And.....my Peruvian neighbor has agreed to eat "greens and hamhocks" with me! Now I have to buy a bigger crock pot for that one recipe.
The skies here have dried up and we're hitting triple digits this week. I'm watering at least once a day. Sooooo many pots! Looks like rain may come later this week.
Just wanted to check in and ask if anyone else was having Houston swap withdrawal.......
Sandi

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Bigbubbles! I also thought the swap was so much fun. We re-established ourselves with earlier friendships and made new friends with great Houston folks and totally enjoyed those who drove in, like you! I'm so glad you drove from San Antonio for the swap! I have all my adoptees in the ground and am trying to keep them going in the triple digit heat. Tomorrow we are supposed to get rain from a trop depression - and we now really need it. Didn't think I'd ever be hoping for more rain after the spring/summer monsoon season this year.

I agree the greens and hamhocks were such a hit - thanks Gymgirl! BB - your Peruvian neighbor will experience the American South quisine at its best! All the food was awesome, wasn't it?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I agree that all the food was awesome. 'Just that I hadn't had "greens" in such a long time. I'm the only one in my family that remotely likes them. It was a special treat to find them at the swap...and prepared by someone who really knew how to cook 'em!
Wondering if the gals who bought the jade vines from Wayne are having success? I potted mine and they took off once the sun finally peeked out. They've doubled in size. I need to find something for them to climb higher. Wonder when they flower?

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey gals! I must say that I was thinking about the swap recently also. I've enjoyed all of the beauties I brought home. They are all doing quite well.

Kristi, Here is a photo of my Almond Verbena. It's got a bloom on it now. I don't know anything about this plant. Do I need to pinch it's head off like an herb or coleus? Or do I let it do it's thing?

I really enjoyed putting faces with the names I see on here each day. Dave's Garden has the best folks in the world!!!!

The food brought by these wonderful folks was awesome. Texas really has the best cooks (I don't care WHO YOU ARE!) I tried many new things and just loved them all.

Both hubby and I love greens. I've never slow cooked them though. I am a lazy gal and just steam them in the microwave. I buy fresh greens, toss them into a pie plate after cutting them into strips. Salt them and add some tiny slices of bacon or sausage or whatever kind of "breakfast" meat I have on hand. DO NOT ADD WATER. There is enough water in the greens to steam them without ending up with a sloppy mess. (

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Here are the coleus that Patty (Phughes) gave me. They are doing wonderful under that Australian Tree Fern. I've also added the Amaranthus that RJ gave me to that area.

Janet

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm with ya'll....the swap was the plant party of the century! I'm missing all you guys. I hear a fall party calling.

BB - would you like me to start you another cutting of the AV? UT - no pinching necessary, go ahead and plant it somewhere that you have room for it to get big! Wait til you smell that bloom.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Ok,
I just found this continued thread. I was looking for July 21st not West Houston.

There's talk of an "Octoberfest" Gathering in the wind and, since Randy is such a gracious host, we might need to appeal to him for a location, location, location! Of course, an appeal with the offer to help him clean up afterward might carry more weight? The gatherings are wonderful. It's the cleanup before AND afterwards that gets the host(ess).

Let's see if we can get Randy on board, hmmmmmmmmm?

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Ya reckon his hair is standing on end as he reads this? Muahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

He truly was the perfect host for the get together, but I would imagine he's stiiiiiiilll getting over it! I would definitely be willing to help any clean up and would love to get together with you folks again when it's not so hot.

I went to College Station last Fall, but would much prefer to come to Houston. Although, there IS the Rennassaince (sp?)

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

UT, I live closer to the Rennassaince (sp) than Randy does!!!
About 35 miles closer! lol

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Over the past 15 or so years, I've been to the R twice. Once with 2 kids 2 & 7 and my best friend. The other time as a chaperon for a school field trip. I was dressed as Anne Boylen. I was in charge of (8) 13 year olds! I was plumb exhausted and don't remember half of what I saw either time. I'd love to go with Connie and truly enjoy myself.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

It happens in Oct, I believe!
Sounds like a partee is brewing!!!
:~)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

knolan....I'd love to have another verbena! Don't know what happened, other one just turned brown and died. Will you bring it in October when you come for DH's test and stay with us?

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9b)

Am glad I found you all - have been on vacation and lost track of the thread. All my new plants are going great (a friend cared for them while I was gone). Thanks to you all for the cuttings, seeds and plants. Love em.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I sure will, BB! Those almond verbenas are finicky....some take and some don't. I've got one for Podster that's almost ready to go. I'll start you one now so it'll be good and rooted by October.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Kristi, can I beg in bended knee for another AV?
Mine did the same thing. Allyn asked what it was & the next time we saw it, It was history. Not really a major plant. I can get one @ the Farm but this one was special since it came fr you.
When do go to Austin? I have a GF that just moved over there I need to go see her.
LMK

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Of course you can, Smockette! I'll start one for you tomorrow. That's for my bud.....

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Smockette...when are you coming to Austin? Let me know, so we can get together. Would love to see you and listen to more of your cool adventures! 'Got some wine chillin'..

Knolan..looking forward to visit and verbena!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Me too, BB! I'll dmail you about it tomorrow.

So, about this fall party and swap. I would be willing to have it here but I don't have the shade, the seating or the exciting places to go like Randy did. Unless ya'll want a tour to an awesome nursery and eat at a good restaurant. Perhaps Crowelli would be interested in a fall gathering at her place? Crowelli, you there? Slap my hand if I've spoken when I shouldn't have.

Now, BB, if we do have it, I insist you stay with us! Just got the antique bed refurbished, painted the room and put on a new quilt.

Off the subject, a few of us at the swap were talking about doing the ghost tour down in Galveston, come October. Well, I checked into it and the company that did a really good one has decided to pull out of Galveston. The hotels and old restaurants weren't receptive to the tours and won't let us wander around there anymore with our electro-magnetic gizmos and crazy stories. There are still tours down there but it's just walking tours of the Strand. I don't know about ya'll but I've walked the strand a gazillion times. If we get enough of us that want to do a tour, the company that did our last one might be able to change it up a bit and add a little more excitement. It would be the Houston area though. I recall hearing legends from my mother about blue lights out at Addicks Dam. That would be fun!

Bubba....chime in here, please! We could do a Circle S wine tasting first and have dinner at your restaurant! Shame on me.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

There's a fall central Texas RU brewing on Nov. 10. It's still pretty early to be sure it will happen - but it's looking like it will. Just a heads up. I went last year and it was great - met Smockette and others there for the first time :)

I'll meet anyone at Bubba's for dinner anytime. I still haven't gone there and need a Buffalo Burger! Then we could scheme... uh plan... up a next event.

We might need to dmail Crowelli and ask her to join us!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi, guys. I'm still here. I'm all for hosting a group over here once the weather cools down a bit. We'll have to figure out the timing of the thing so that we're not into the holiday frenzy. Let me know who's interested. Maybe sometime late October or early November?

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Count me in!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Count me in! Except for Oct 27-28, Dallas Swap, or Nov 4, Dave @ ARE. Possible Nov 10 @ CS or around.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Call me crazy, but did I not see Wayne at the wine tasting place a bottle of white in the freezer? I ask because I thought it was such a great idea! Cool the wine down quickly (alcohol not freezing). A few nights ago, we had guests for dinner and not knowing if they would prefer red or white, just before they arrived, I placed a nice bottle of pinot in the garage freezer. Jump to last night when I remembered it....(they drank red)....still there, the cork had blown thru the metal wrapper into the door shelf...but very little wine came out. After DH had a good laugh, I re-corked it and stuck it in the frig to "thaw." Will taste it tonite. Anyone in Randy's kitchen remember Wayne's wine in the freezer?? Or did I "taste" too much that evening?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Now, BB, are you sure he was tasting wine out of the freezer & not tequila? But it could have been wine that he DIDN"T forget & leave in the freezer! ROFLOL

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I've quick chilled many a bottle in my time (and forgotten about it only to have the entire bottle crack). Works like a charm, if you remember it!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Smock...you're probably right....no one left it in there long enough to freeze. Well, I can now report that frozen wine loses a bit of it's "nose/bouquet," but thawed... it's passable. From now on you might ask, if you visit here......."Is this wine fresh...or frozen?"
Knol...I figured it would be cracked and didn't want to deal with it at first. Was pleasantly surprised later that I didn't have to clean up a mess...or have a cork stuck in the door wall of the freezer.
Isn't there anyway I can just blame this on Wayne???????????!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Crowelli - great of you to offer your home and garden again! I think the Central Texas RU is going to be Nov 10. Maybe mid-October?

I've hardly ever forgotten a bottle of wine in the freezer... I'm busy checking to see if it's ready already, yet! BB - that's funny!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Note to self for future...Set kitchen timer when putting wine or other drinks (beer) in freezer! ROTFLOL

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Y'all are all too funny. I've had a few Dr. Pepper's explode in the freezer, buy not wine. When we remodeled the kitchen, we put in a wine fridge. We really like having it. Room temp red doesn't mean Texas room temp and I think it really improves it slightly chilled. Ours has dirrerent zones for different temps, which works really well.

As to timing for gathering, how about Oct 20 or 27th? I'm flexible on it, so whatever works other than the 6th is fine with me.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I've just got to have one of those wine coolers, Crowelli! Definitely it's on the list.

Oct. 20 or 27th either one works for me. The Nov. 10 fall RU would be really different than a get together at a home. It draws folks from all over, and would likely be a 9:00 or 10:00 to noon - and sometimes folks meet for breakfast or lunch. This way it would be much easier for Houston folks who might not want to drive all the way to College Station. I'd love to meet more of the Houston folks that are on DG.

I would plan to do both, though.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Ah..so here you all are!
Yes, Place unchilled wine in freezer, go immeadiantly to timer on the stove, set for 35-45 minutes......forget....when timer goes off, salivate...then open wine.
Speaking of .....Bubba...the wine you brought...was it Circle S? Circle something? Is that wine available to purchase...I was searching Specs on every Texas wine, and figured it's a special Bubba connection. I have been wanting to get my hands on some more. I'm not really too much of a connisier..but that certainly tops the ratings in my book.

I wanna go to Austin and see Bubbles too!! whine...Did you bring me the skeeter fish? I can't remember...They are doing great, and think the population has expanded. I'm waiting for some of them to get bigger so the gold fish don't eat them in the big pond.
Also...weren't you or someone tryin to hook me up with the powderpuff tree? Only yesterday I was taking an inventory of plants Wayne had stuffed in my car before the swap, and saw a few odd leafed plants I wasn't familiar with..so took the tag and googled it...and that's what they are...all that time I had 3 sitting in the garden!

Count me in at Crowellli's!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Randy - glad you popped in! If Bubba brought it - it was Circle S from a winery in Sugarland. I had never heard of it before, but Kristi and Bubba know it because it's out in their stomping grounds. I didn't stay long enough to taste that one, though.

Crowelli - sounds like a crowd might be forming!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks!

Kristi?!!! how might I appropriate myself some a that there Circle S wine! I remember Bubba saying he is friends with the owners, ...Feel free to pipe up anytime Mr. Bubba!..LOL.
I was disapointed to come up empty handed at Specs....

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Randy...you and Brian come on over to Austin. We'll have a good time!
Don't fret about those fish...gambusias...they're bullies...they like to gang up on goldfish if they're small enough.
Not me that mentioned powderpuff tree...sounds interesting, tho.

Missouri City, TX

OK - so the request is more Circle S wine for the "Houston DG Octoberfest" -- got'cha! Randy, Dave will not wholesale his wine to distributors, but will to restaurants - minimum 5 cases. The website is www.circlesvinyards.com.

Since our last party, we have become even more "regular" there, but took a Saturday run to Haak in Santa Fe -- they make a Texas Maderia -- wonderful stuff.

Planted the oregano - doing fine now. As are the tomato cuttings.

Spent this week just north of Atlanta, GA - teaching class about our product to clients - coming home today.

Gymgirl, we're defintely ready for another party.

Now, if Kristi will dust off that "showtime rotisserie" I can assure her it is in working order by cooking some bison roasts. LOL
Might be fun to have 2 going at the same time.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

OK, guys let's nail down the date. Let's aim for Oct. 27th. Do we want to do a covered dish luncheon again? I'm up for that and I'd love to try some of that Circle S wine. I haven't found a Texas wine that I really like, so I'be very interested in trying this one. If there are others that like it, maybe we can later buy the 5 case minimum and spilt it up among the interested parties.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Crow

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Count me in unless ya'll pick Oct. 27. N Tex or Dallas Swap is that wkend & I already promised I would go up there. Already, told my mom I would be home that wkend in FtW. You know how mom's get when you change your plans. lol

Everyone know that Dave is speaking @ ARE on Nov. 4th? I plan on going up there to hear him, also.

Hey Gang,

I'm good for any Saturday in October, to include the most people!

I'd llike to propose that this party be a covered dish affair like before, but that we DON'T plan on swapping plants this go round. (It might actually be cold and rainy).

Also, since this is our HOLIDAY gathering, I'd like to propose we play a fun game, that would actually include gardening items. It's call the "White Elephant," and it's hilarious. Let me know what your thoughts are about a) NOT swapping plants this time and, b)proceeding with the game. I'll post game particulars if the majority indicates interest in playing.

Hugs and Excitement!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

The 27th sounds good to me! I can dust off the rotisserie but, Bubba, you'll have to teach me how to use it.

I have a few plants for Crowelli and BB, if she can make it. I might have a few more to offer anyway! White elephant is always fun.....count me in. And the vino - I'd be happy to go in on the 5 cases....that was good stuff!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.