From da U.P.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Bright Star

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Patti Pink. Grown in a different location and I laid down soaker hoses, so it is much nicer/prolific this year

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Prolific Patti Pink

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Granny - that Bright Star is stunning. I've never seen such a dahlia. Where did you find that one? And do you have a tuber to trade? I love it. THe others are beautiful too but that is odd, and I like odd.....
Kathy

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Ivory Palaces

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Curly Q

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Myrtle's Folly

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Hy Pimento.
I recommend this one for producing a gazillion strong stems with large flowers

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Seattle
Week old bloom, but still looking good. It seems that Seattle's first blossom always hids down in the foliage and then the rest act right. Anyone else with this experience?

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

These are beautiful. Sorry I posted in the middle of your pictures. They are lovely.
Kathy

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Bliss

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Kathy, not a problem, I was on a picture posting roll. . I'll look up where I acquired 'Bright Star' for you. Won't know if there are any tubers until it is dug up this Fall.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Mary
Always a perfect dahlia.

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Great looking blooms Granny. Don't you love Ivory Palaces? Myrtle's Folly is another one of those rainbow color mixes that is so mesmerizing.

Seattle bloomed here when it was about a foot tall, with the bloom on about a 3 inch stem- grrrr. A second plant of it is about a foot tall and just budding out. So different from last year here.

Keep em coming!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

ooh, ooh: I managed to eradicate Mary here; any chance I can get her back?

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

YES YES YES to Poochella. I've wiped out Mingus Erica, how did that happen?
Seattle is about 18" in it's new spot- I'm thrilled with that heigth. Myrtles Folly is a keeper with all it's intricate hues. It will get a dose of triple super phosphate this afternoon in hopes of increasing tuber production.
DGD Sidney ask me to cut an Ivory Palaces for her, so I did. That child will be a gardener with bling. First bloom was about as big as her head. (for a while) LOL She even likes the aroma of old fashioned marigolds.

And I gave away all my good Mazama tubers. ARGGGGGHHH.

Helen's Alvin Sr. Usually one of the last to bloom, now one of the first. Go figure

This message was edited Aug 15, 2007 9:29 AM

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

The red is beautiful. Granny, what can I do to get my dahlia growing so well? I'm new to dahlia and have only a few but they remind me of my grandmother's garden years ago. I want to get the Helen's Alvin Sr. too. So I should add phosphate to help the tubers?
Kathy

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Triple Super Phosphate is available at gardening stores and feed stores (usually the cheapest prices IMHO) It feeds the root systems, of which tubers are a part of. It's the middle number when you see it on fertilizers. It CAN be overdone, first have your soil tested. Dahlias like rich soil with plenty of organic matter and water, not soggy, which rots the tuber.

With that said, I garden on a sand dune, Poochella gardens in rocks, and Al gardens in Wisconsin (where, contrary to the ads, cows ARE the happiest). We pamper, cajole, plead and preen. Dead head and dis-bud.

I have my favorite places on-line to purchase and then there are all the enablers at this site. Spend the extra cents on a quality product, from a quality grower. Try to stay away from buying at a big box store, no matter how pretty the picture is.

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow! very impressive dahlias! How do you keep the bugs off of them? I like Bright Star (reminds me of Bird's Nest) and Helen's Alvin Sr. best. Oh, and Curly Q, and...

Interesting about the super phosphate - I have just started using Fox Farm Open Sesame, that is 5-45-19, about the same percentage of phosphorus. Too early to tell how its working though.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

todgor ; The open sesame thing might be better because it has some extra stuff. Unless it is way more pricey.

Don't know why there aren't any bugs in the veg garden. I need to call it a vegetable garden to keep Mike happy. There are actually food crops in there. Other dahlia spots have some earwig action and one has mosquitos and black flies.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Looks great Marsha. I'll vote for PPP and Myrtles Folly. Ivory Palaces look good.
My Seattle is about 10" - now in a mite infested bed so it could be a later bloomer for me.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

What is wrong with the collective short Seattles this year? Last year it was among the first to bloom and easily 3 ft tall all around, including grown in a pot. Weird.

I've been using Peter's Professional bloom stuff LOL 10-45-(more than ten, less than 20, too tired to go look) I also took Granny's advice and used triple phosphate earlier in July. Cheap and easy; my kind of stuff.

Granny, did I send you Helen's Alvin Sr? Mine was red and yellow! Not enough sun, maybe? If you have a good harvest I'd love to try it again. Your looks treeeeeeeeeemendous! I managed to save Mingus Erica here, so count on that one.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Seattle has always been a midget here. Just how tall should it get?

Altho I haven't done a controlled study, it seems to me that the triple super phophate does a good job on the tubers. The tubers were larger last year and there were more of them per plant. I DO know that I had phenominal iris rhizome production last year, using about a tablespoon of the stuff per plant, and watering it in well. Or could it have been the routine spraying of Liquid Fence ??

I'll save ya a tuber or two of Helen's Alvin Sr. It originated from P'chella or 42 year old Al.

BTW; I don't do much in the way of insecticides in any of the gardens. A bit of Sevin on the broccolli and sprouts, a weak dose or two of a systemic on the dahlias but only if they're showing signs of distress.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Sorry - I'm not in the Helen's Alvin business, maybe someday. My Seattle got to be over 3' last year. The bed I have it in is very disappointing - short flowers , then mites. I sent a Seattle to Carol - I wonder how hers is. Granny-that monstrous plant Ferncliff Illusion is just about open now.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Oooh, Ferncliff Illusion is such a lovely. Lucky you !

Okay then, the credit for Helen's A jr goes to P'chella

Where the heck is Carol ??

That monster of last year, 'Bodacious', is a slacker so far.

One discussion of last year was the addition of alfalfa pellets to improve the soil. Any comments ?

I'm using straw as mulch over soaker hoses in an attempt to more fully utilize the moisture AND to improve the soil AND to cut down on the weeds. We've had 1/4 inch of rain in 6 weeks, I can (and have) spit more than that. We will till the straw under next Spring, leaving it in place all Winter. The straw is making weeding almost unneccessary and my shoes/feet are cleaner

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

What a fabulous display!! I like Bright Star, Myrtle's Folly, and all the rest (and love the thought of something like Hy Pimento producing so many great blooms on nice strong stems like that). Impressive!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

mom,here's my first blooms.this one is 'star elite'

Thumbnail by greathorse
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

and this one is 'seattle'. my 'snowflake' hasn't bloomed yet.

Thumbnail by greathorse
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

You 2 are related? I never knew.
Seattle looks good. Is Star Elite an old flower or is it just 'loose' like that?

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Love the pinks in that 'Star Elite'. Are you growing this in a pot?
How tall is your 'Seattle'?

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Nice growing Erika! Star Elite has 'baby girl bouquet' written all over it for me. Any time I see the pastel pinks/white I think 'baby girl!'

Your Seattle is twice the flower my first one was. Such a gorgeous flower.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

al-yes we're related,can't get more related than we are. the 'star elite' is a loose flower.i got it at wal-mart so.............
mom- i am growing this in a pot and it is only about 8 in. high. the 'star elite' is only about a foot high.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

thanks for the compliments!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Marsha, I have been lurking this summer!
I just love your dahlias!!!
That Ivory Palaces and Helens A. are just wonderful!!!
That red one looks like Skywalker a lot but almost a better color. I love Skywalker since my Dad love the color red so I really love red.

I have been way too busy this summer. Have been working 6 am to 6 pm most of it. I am exhausted! Am not so sure about the new job with these hours!

Plus as you see in the picture, Button keeps me too busy!!! This pic was taken a few weeks ago but he has grown so much since then. It is so hard between trying to potty train this dang dog that I don't get much done around the house or garden at all!

My Seattle is a shorty too. Al, it has done fine but isn't much bigger than 2' tall. Thanks.

I took pics earlier this summer but never posted them. I wanted to do what Annie did, post the new guys...................so maybe someday.........................

Keep up the good pics from all you guys. I do look at the pics most nites but don't say anything..................
Carol

Thumbnail by daisyruffles
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Carol! Great to see you and the new furry beast! He's so cute! What kind of dog is he?
I knew it was your work keeping you busy but 6a-6p everyday is ridiculous. Hopefully that can change someday soon.

We should start a "dogs in the dahlia patch" thread. My freaky beast just knocked over a couple Reedlys and Al's NOID orange, but normally, is very well behaved. Little Button looks like he would be a perfect gardener.

What is up with 'Seattle' stunting this year? That's like 4-5 having short versions, no matter the source. My first year it was easily 4 ft, then down to 3 ft consistently. This year, it's 1-2 ft so far.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

"Dogs in the Dahlia Patch" starts tomorrow. If I can't get Snickers out of the bean patch I will go and borrow Willie.

Good to hear from you, Carol. That's a crazy work schedule.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL Annie, I love the doggie thread idea on the dahlia forum!
He is 1/2 Shih Tzu and 1/2 Maltese. Yep, he doesn't do too much damage in the yard yet, LOL He does like to dig but hopefully he can't dig too much. He can't climb up the raised beds yet so.........................
Yep, those hours are crazy and I only get paid for my regular salary 8 hrs, sigh................am not too keen at it all....................................

Well, we have had a wierd spring/summer again so I am wondering if that makes a difference. All my dahlias are much shorter than normal!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

would "puppy in the flower garden" qualify for your thread?

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

All are beautiful! I need to put Myrtle's Folly on my wish list! Tamara

Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

Grannymarsh...Love all of your flowers...very beautiful! I am particularly interested in Hy Pimento. I love the combination of colors, where would you suggest I get it from? Really enjoy seeing all the dahlias, thanks for sharing...Carla

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images