The Annual Photo Contest is open. Enter your best images Here

Fantastic Foliage

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Pod suggested that we start a new thread on Fantastic Foliage....

Patterns, color and texture. Another fun idea. I am going to kick it off with my Coleus enjoying this heat.

Thumbnail by picabo
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A fantastic sunset, until I'll come up with some foliages color. :-)

Thank you Betty, for the starting the new thread, thanks Pod for the idea. You guys are fantastic!

Kim

This message was edited Aug 27, 2007 12:29 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Kim.... Beautiful! That looks more like a painting. I may need to borrow that photo when I start painting again this Fall. Can I come live at your house?? LOL

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Tehehehe, you're more than welcome to come here for a vac. I'd love to watch you paint our sunset, or my garden, whichever time of year you choose to come. Oh, I've better sunset photo, will d-mail it to you so you can download, and get copy if you like.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

another pretty one. I would love to see more. I already have easel set up but will be a while before I can get in the mood to paint. LOL

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Betty, the pic. recieved from d-mail needs to be the opening of this thread! Can we go back and fix it?????

Here come some of mine....
Wild growing unknown foliage plant.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ever seen edible Ginger flowers? Here is a bud forming....

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Then the Tacca's flower bud resemblance that of a goose' neck and head, and its shiny foliages.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Gigantic EE foliages

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

some more...

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Eucaliptus provides color contrast/hi-light other greenery....

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Can I just squeeze this beauty in just to pick up a little color? :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here this fantastic view of woodland used to be taken over by overgrown shrubbery. Now that the lot is cleared out, neighbors can enjoy our garden, and know that we are back here enjoying ours. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Beautiful Lily.

LOL Those old horse riding days were toooo long ago. Maybe when we do a Fall thread. That pic is almost 50 years old. LOL

Here are some more recent photos from the yard.

I have always called this Chocolate Begonia. Never seen anything to back up that name. Anyone know the "Real" name.

Thumbnail by picabo
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

These plants are at the base of a jasmine tree in the yard. Philodendron and Joseph's Coat.

Thumbnail by picabo
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

This is the String of Hearts Vine.

Thumbnail by picabo
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

and the String of Hearts Flower. Only about 1/2 inch tall.

Thumbnail by picabo
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I think the bright green stripes of the Tiger fern really set off the plants around it.

Thumbnail by picabo
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh wow! String of heart vine and its flower! What an exotic little vine, ok, Betty, what can I trade for that one? My first born is up for trade. lol,lol.
Kim

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=3905885 you have a "wild poinsettia".

http://home.att.net/~larvalbugrex/poinsettias.html

R.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Last one then it is someone else's turn LOL.

This is Devil's Backbone, It will also have variegation of red green and white. I'll find a picture of that stage, really pretty

Thumbnail by picabo
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thank you Raydio that was my next task to look that up for Kim. I thought that was the name. That grows as a perennial here in Nashville.

Kim, You will Never get one of those vines from me if what you have to trade is a "First Born" been there done that. LOL Got the grandkids to show for it. LOL

The SOH or Rosary vine grows from little bulbs or tubers. I'll be glad to start one for you, or send you the bulbs, but you have to promise NO first born in trade. LOL

Since I am back on here again here is one of my Angel Wing Begonias, This is from a plant that my Grandmother had over 40 years ago. A real treasure to me.

Thumbnail by picabo
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

:), how about that, wild poinsettia. I knew it was something deserves a place in the garden. lol, thank you raydio from the beautiful NC. Ok, everyone, here it's your turn, post away! Welcome to new comers, join in the fun. Share your interesting foliage as well as exotic delights.
Kim

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Betty, how interesting, those Angel Wings Bergonia are hot item now in the market. Everyone is so so in search of them timeless beauty. My July MG meeting, I visit this Lady's home who has a huge pot sitting on the corner of her guest-quarter, it was oooh gorgeous!
I'd love to have a start of the mentioned bulbs. I've just repotted my lipstick basket vine this morning and potted up a few cuttings to share. May I get a marker marking it yours in exchange? I had a pot of Devil's back bone until last year, when we renovated our home, left them outdoor and forgot to bring them back in during the winter. Bahumbug! Actually I got both, one is solid green another is a varigated greenish pink and white marking. I'll see about recollecting those succulents again.

Here is the interesting foliage of my goldfish cracker plants.
Kim

This message was edited Aug 27, 2007 2:48 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The interesting foliage of that tall, tall yellow cone flower.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Dang! Dang! Dang! why did you show me that Angelwing! I passed them up on Sat. at the garage sale too! LOL

I have the plain green angelwing with red blooms and love it. It looks soooo cool and inviting on a sweltering summer afternoon.

Fun thread ~ but I can't take credit. Was perusing an older Tx. Gardener magazine and this was a topic there. I thought ~ Why not? And you started it with the first foliage I thought of ~ Coleus... Will dig out a few photos later... pod

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

There is my buddy Pod, I'll have to hand this task over to ya'll for a while, I heard distance thunder in the area, so will log out after just one more....Will resume this evening when the sky clear up.
Kim

Oh, here what I believe is commonly known as "Spanish brooms" another succulent.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Now you have thunder and we are dusty dry.... guess I'm not paying the preacher...

How about the ordered foliage of ~ BOP or POB ~ no blooms yet tho....

Thumbnail by podster

and here is the plain Angelwing begonia foliage...

Thumbnail by podster
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Hey Radio nice to see you hanging out with us here.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Hi, Raydio. Pleased to meet ya! We are glad you joined us.

All of this wonderful foliage is soothing to my eyes. Keep it coming, DGr's.

For my first photo, let me introduce you to my frog band amidst Maguerite potato vine. The frogs and I make fine music for gardening.

Martha

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Next, my blue heron wading through beautiful azalea foliage. Martha

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

My trusty Jackmanii still in bloom. Martha

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Beautiful Moonflower foliage. You can tell we just had a rain this afternoon. I love those drip drops everywhere.

Martha

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Well! Even a little bloom from my Clematis 'Kardynal Wyszynski'

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Laurus nobilis (Sweet Bay), my favorite bay leaf cooking herb.

Martha

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Wormwood Artemisia.

Martha

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Juncus Effusus Unicorn. Great Spiral Rush, a native North American grass. Grows along ponds or other water features.

Martha

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Aaah, but the tenuous veins of a Caladium!

Martha

Thumbnail by mwperry
Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

The faithful Verbena. You can count on it from summer to frost.

Thumbnail by mwperry

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.