Be careful with seedlings, please

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Growing hoyas out from seed is a heck of a lot of fun. Like any baby 'waddevah' they are so cute!!! It is, also, a huge responsability that this cute little seedling doesn't get into circulation as a 'something' else other than what it is...a seedling of X.

So many hoyas are in a terrible state of confusion because seedlings have been produced and then circulated as a cultivar with a cutesy name, or as the pod parent...one of the reasons, I believe, that carnosas are all over the place with leaf shapes, colors and growing habits. One grower, years ago, distributed a H. australis seedling as H. 'Ms. G'...and years later there was no memory as to any other plants blooming at the same time...no data.

I grow out some crosses to see if something interesting will develope/an improvement, perhaps, upon the pod parent. But this is purely a personal challenge and those seedling are not shared nor distributed at all. I would hope that all of us who are growing out seedlings will take into consideration how confused this taxon is...and not contribute more to the confusion by sharing a seedling under any different name than 'a seedling of X'

Don't mean to sound prissy...nor authoritarian and please forgive if I have come off as arrogant. I worry about polluting an already polluted pool with more confusion....

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

That makes good sense...............I can find other seeds to enjoy...............I would be the one ready to send out to the world (LOL).............................

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Ok, I want to get this right...... if, and that's a big IF, I get some of my seedlings to a healthy and strong enough point to share them with others I want them to go out properly. The name on the cutting to which the seed pod was attached was H Australis so when and IF I can share seedlings they should be tagged "seedling of H Australis"? Did I understand correctly?

Thanks for any help with this, Brenda

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

she will come back and answer, Brenda...........but that is exactly what I heard her say to do................

Medford, NJ

Ok, my question is the same as Brenda's, but I want to know more about WHY -
Is it because we don't know who the daddy is, or the fact that the daddy could be any Tom, Dick, or Harry hoya out there, and without knowing, we don't have any idea of what the mix is or of the "purity" of the seedling?

Isn't it obvious to assume that even if we do pass on the seedling labeled "seedling of X" that somewhere down the line, someone will just start calling it X and drop the "seedling" part of the label? I can be responsible for what I do, but I can't be for what every one else does. If this is the case, then really we shouldn't be passing seedlings along in the first place.....alot of people just won't care about the hoya gene pool, especially if they are just out to make a buck.

I can see me with one of these grown up seedlings, labeling a cutting I give away as "Cutting of Seedling X" and then "2nd generation cutting of seedling X" and "3rd cousin once removed of seedling X" and so on and so on....somewhere along the line the seedlings will wind up exactly where you warned they shouldn't. It would be impossible to keep control....so maybe as hoya lovers, as tempting as it may seem when you get that seed pod, we shouldn't do this??? I mean, it would be ok to try growing a few from seed, but only to keep for yourself or perhaps give one to your mom etc...but not to sell or to let them get widely distributed.... is that what you mean?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Well...I guess the answer is YES to all. The growing of the seed is the fun part...and should you want to share, make sure the recipient understands it is a seedling NOT the species. It is, in fact, a cultivar (self pollinated) we assume. The request can be made of the recipient as well.

Animal breeders are more stringent than that...altho some sell anything.

As it is hoyas such as H. aff. albiflora are being called H. albiflora and that is not right.... We can control what generations down the line do with the names....but we can HOPE not so many seeds are germinated and sent out to impress people or to make money. One cannot take shortcuts in botany and give plants nicknames because it sounds more impressive... As collectors we have the responsability to HELP the genus we collect, not muddle it all up.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

This hoya 'like' I have going is going to be harder than learning about gesneriads i can see. (LOL)........................at this stage I just stay confused but time will help all this...................

Chowchilla, CA(Zone 10a)

Basically, Carol, what I believe you are saying is that we should not take our seedlings and give them a name, then give away or sell them using the cute little name we gave them (such as "Ann's Cutsie-Poo").

Instead, if a seedling came from H. australis ssp. australis, we need to label it as "seedling of H. australis ssp. australis."

Is that correct?
:-)

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Yes. And the fewer seedlings given away will help too.

Macon, IL(Zone 5b)

Ann - If you could cross any hoya with any hoya to come up with "Ann's Cutsie Poo," what would it be? LOL

Just a little levity, (I hope)
Karen

Great Falls, MT(Zone 4a)

I think that Ann would have to cross a hoya with a very small dog to come up with "Ann's cutsie poo". Sort of like the cockapoo right? LOL!! Maybe an australis with a miniature poodle would be an aussipoo, or pachyclada with a chiwawa would be a pachywawa.......

S

Macon, IL(Zone 5b)

Sara - ROTFLMBO!!!!!!!!!!! Especially the pachywawa!

Karen

Great Falls, MT(Zone 4a)

Karen, you are my kind of girl!! Bryan simply does not enjoy playing with me. I asked him to name a few small dogs, so I could get some ideas, and he thought I was being a bit stupid....bummer.

LOL, yes simple humor for simple minds.

Sara

edited to say that I completely spelled chihuahua wrong!! sorry, but I can't change it now, as I would hate to mess up my "pachywawa"

I found some more small dog/hoya options though: pug, yorki, westie, pekinese, maltese, shih tzu, lhasa apso HA!

This message was edited Sep 3, 2007 9:26 PM

Chowchilla, CA(Zone 10a)

Tee Hee, H. archboldiana with an H. serpens - now that would be wierd!

Long Beach, CA

Hmmm....a "serpenboldiana". Wow now that would be interesting. LOL

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Unconditionally Nuts!!! I am with you!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.