SOLVED: Identify PLEASE

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

I have recently gotten "into" hosta's. I have a few different kinds but they were all given to me by various people. I would love to identify them. For some reason I have gotten obsessed with this. Can anyone help me.

Thumbnail by sjweld
Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

This is the only one that has flowered. I wonder if the others are later bloomers or if for some reason they will not be blooming this year?

This message was edited Sep 5, 2007 4:11 PM

Thumbnail by sjweld
Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

Another:

Thumbnail by sjweld
Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

another shot:

Thumbnail by sjweld
Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

one more shot: (I may have more but I have lost track now)

Thumbnail by sjweld
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

sjweld - you've come to the right place for help. But do be careful, because we've been known to encourage addiction to Hostas. LOL

Are the first pic and the last two all the same Hosta? Is it that colour all year or does it get whiter (or darker) as the season progresses?

It might be Janet - http://www.hostalibrary.org/j/janet.html
or September Sun http://www.hostalibrary.org/s/septsun.html
or Paul's glory http://www.hostalibrary.org/p/pauls.html
or Gold Standard http://www.hostalibrary.org/g/gold.html

The second one, I'm pretty sure is Undulata Albomarginata http://www.hostalibrary.org/u/undulataalbo.html

and the thirsd one could be fortunei Aureomarginata http://www.hostalibrary.org/f/fort-a.html

What do the rest of you think?

Ann

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Hi and welcome sjweld,

I agree with ViolaAnn that 1, 4 and 5 look to be Gold Standard at different times of the year.

#2 is probably Undulata Albomarginata, but it may also be Ginko Craig, do you have another photo so we can see the leaf shape a bit better?

#3 is most likely Fortunei Aureomarginata, but it's habit looks more like Francee. Does it have creamy yellow margins or crisp white margins? Perhaps another photo of this one would help in a more positive ID.

Sandy

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I agree with Sandy in regard to #2 possibly being Ginko Craig. Its leaf is a bit smaller and thinner than UA's. Also the margin is often a bit wider and whiter than on UA. And I thought the margin on #3 looked creamy yellow, but if it is white it would be Francee.

All of the above are older, but very nice Hostas and when I sold Hostas at a street sale last year, they were the first ones to be snapped up by the general (non-Hostaholic) public.

Ann

This message was edited Sep 6, 2007 11:09 AM

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I have Ginko Craig here and #2 is not it. I also have undulata albomarginata and would say #2 is that one. My Orange Marmalade looks just like you #1 does right now. It's different earlier in the year. No idea on the others.

MollyD

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

Viola Ann: I do believe they are the same species. That is one thing as was wondering. As you will see if you follow my link here one is on the north side of the house and the other is on the south side. Wow!! Thanks for all your help. I have actually recieved a much better camera since I took these pictures. I just took some better pictures and you can see them all at: http://picasaweb.google.com/sjweld/PlantIdPics Thanks for all your help! If you have any other helpful hints please feel free to add them here also. You guys are awesome!

This message was edited Sep 6, 2007 1:48 PM

This message was edited Sep 6, 2007 1:53 PM

Dallas, TX

Post #3941149 is Francee.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

No Sylvia. If Post #3941149 is the same as #5 on the Picasa site, the margin is yellow. Francee has a white margin. I still think it's a young fortunei Aureomarginata.

Greentown, IN(Zone 5b)

Well, I do not know what they are but that bright one...I just have to find a piece of that!!!!

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

dovebydesign I have noticed that people do trade/sell plants here but have not looked into it at all. I would certainly be open to some sort of trade if you explain the details to me. That is one that I do want to split anyway. To be certain we are talking about the same one, if you go the the picasas link I have above it woud be either #2 or #3? They are actually the same type just on different sides of the house. The one on the north side gets sun most of the day but through a tree and the one on the south gets very little sun.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Jeannie63 (did you change your name?).

To save confusion, this seems to be the scoop on the ID's:

Numbers in order of pictures above:
#1,#4,#5 - Gold Standard
#3 - Undulata Albomarginata
#4 - Fortunei Aureomarginata

Numbers from your Picasa site:
#1-Undulata Albomarginata
#2 & #3-Gold Standard
#4-?
#5-Fortunei Aureomarginata

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I have several Gold Standards in different lights and not a single one looks like # 1,4 or 5

MollyD

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Well I think we agree that 1, 4, and 5 are likely the same variety. I don't have a Gold Standard, but I wasn't convinced either when I looked at the pics. That's why I suggested a few other possibilities. But I'm not so sure that any of those I suggested are as white in the middle. Most are more creamy in colour.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

My Orange Marmalade is very white in the middle right now just like those in the photos. The edges have the same thin green edge too. Of course without sizes it's a shot in the dark.

MollyD

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Oops, sorry Molly, I guess I missed your Orange Marmalade post! Ack! I guess I was almost positive it was Gold Standard and I just wanted to avoid confusion between the two places.

Orange Marmalade is one I don't have so I can't comment but perhaps the purchase price will give us a clue for the ID. As you know, GS can be had for pretty cheap, but Orange Marmalade is a fairly recent introduction. Wait, let me check some prices......

Here ya go. It's probably different in the States, but I checked a couple of sources up here. One listed Gold Standard for $9 and Orange Marmalade for $20. The other $11.99 for a GS (2 gallon) and $23 for OM (1 gallon). I think I bought my GS for $5 quite a few years ago.

{BTW, do you have a pic of your Gold Standard? I'm almost positive it's GS. It tends to bleach out a bit in the sun. (See third pic down in Hosta Library). I've also added a pic of mine in the shade.}

Jeannie63 - can you tell us approx what you paid for #1, #4, & #5 on this page.

Sandy

Thumbnail by sanannie
Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I don't have any pictures of GS right now. It's fairly cheap here (maybe $5.00) I've had mine since the 1980's when I paid around $15.00 for one eye. Orange Marmalade I got this spring for about $15.00 from Naylor Creek. It's not a pricey one either.
My GS looks like the one in your photo in Post #3952244. OM is very pale (almost white) right now in the center like the first photo. Too dark to take pictures now and we're promised rain all day tomorrow. If there is a break in the weather I'll snap some pics of both plants.

MollyD

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Here's my Gold Standard early in the season: I'll see if I can find one later in the season and it is practically white with green edging at this time of year.

I could not find a late one - I'll take one tomorrow and post again.

Brenda

This message was edited Sep 8, 2007 8:44 PM

Thumbnail by plantnutz
Saint Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

This is a pretty sorry-looking Gold Standard (still recovering from a hail storm in June), but the picture shows how white the leaves can get in the sun. The new growth is much greener. Peg

Thumbnail by StPaulPeg
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I don't have a Gold Standard - how large does the clump get? I think I might need one.

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

First of all let me clear the confusion. My sister is Jeannie63 and I forgot that I was on her computer. We both have our computers set to automatically keep us logged in so neither is used to having to log in when we open the site. I always have been, and still am, sjweld. So sorry!!

Secondly, I did not buy any of my hosta plants, though now that I seem to be hooked I am sure I will be purchasing some in the future. The one that most seem to agree is the Gold Standard came with the house. My friends daughter bought a house last spring and the back yard was LOADED with hosta. She got rid of all of them!! (can you believe it???) I didn't get first pick but the rest of what I have came from her yard.

We may never be able to identify these hosta!! :(

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I'm bettin it's Gold Standard just because it came with the house. Orange Marmalade was registered in 2002. I don't have GS, but I have an OM and went out to take a pic for you and it does look just like your pic, however the vein count doesn't match. That could be because my OM is very young tho.

Debbie

Thumbnail by baja220
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Nice OM, Debbie. But not only does the vein count not match, but the green margin is larger and the OM leaf is more pointy. You make a good point about it's coming with the house. And all the others pictured above were good old standards.

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks for all of your help here! So if I have this right, we have a fairly good ID on all but #4 (if you look at the picasa link). Anyone care to take a guess on that one? Thanks - sjweld

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

OK. This is your #4. I hope it posts right. Is it another that came with the house?

This message was edited Sep 9, 2007 12:25 PM

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Makes me think a bit of Cherry Berry, though CB may have too much white in the leaves. Have you seen it bloom? If so, when and what colour?

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Definitely too much white when I see them side by side. I'll start looking at my books.

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

They all either came with my house or they came with my friends daughter's house. I have not seen it bloom. Only #1 (on picasa) has bloomed. That is the one that came with my house. The rest were all transplanted spring/summer last year and did not bloom yet.

This message was edited Sep 9, 2007 4:17 PM

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

I have one that looks similar to #4 that a friend gave me this year. It's called 'Neat Splash'. Could that be what your #4 is?

Rose

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Here is my Orange Marmalade taken this morning.

MollyD

Thumbnail by MollyD1953
Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Here is Gold Standard in medium shade about 4 ft from the Orange Marmalade

MollyD

Thumbnail by MollyD1953
Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Here's a picture of Neat Splash. If I remember right, it's supposed to have a lot more color than mine has. Must have reverted back, or was mislabeled. A few leaves have very thin white borders on them, but no streaking at all.

Thumbnail by Rose1656
Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Here is Gold Standard in deep shade

MollyD

Thumbnail by MollyD1953
Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

This last Gold Standard is in the strongest light of the three pictured here.

MollyD

Thumbnail by MollyD1953
Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Last here is my Ginko Craig

MollyD

Thumbnail by MollyD1953
Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

MollyD,

You must've been out clicking the same time I was!! Here's a picture of Gold Standard that gets about 3 hours direct sunlight a day. I've had this one for 5 years, and have split it once. Mine's 3-31/2' feet across.

Thumbnail by Rose1656
Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Yours is pretty light Rose but note that you still have a hint of that golden green that GS has. I can't tell if the border on sjweld is as wide as GS's or not.
Anyway you can see what I meant by OM looking like her photo.

MollyD

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.