Tropicas New List

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

It looks like Ashish has been busy with his breeding. Below is a link to his latest list. I've identified 34 new "must haves" for us next year, completely different from the 40 varieties we received this year.

http://www.tropicanursery.com/adenium/cultivars_all.php

Some of these are truly amazing.

Chris

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Chris, amazing; I am glad that you just have 34 "must haves"! Looking at the pictures of just some of those, I would have a hard time deciding which ones I really wanted!
Thanks for giving us so many to 'drool' over! LOL

Drooling...Larry

Yardley, PA

Oh man, do I have a headache. That was way too much stimulation. I really want double next. Hope that is on your list.

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

One of the doubles is on there for certain. I'm so impressed with what he's done. We've been importing the Thai hybrids for about 7 years, and there's been nothing close to this quality and range until he started breeding.

Now I can't wait until next year. :-)

Chris

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Oh boy, oh boy. I hope you have Taiwan Pink Variegate on your list, and Swastik, and..............

I have Khao Sala phat and it has some awesome variegation. I also have princess beauty and it is going to be georgeous.

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

I selected and saved the names of 21 I will be adding.
I didnt realize you were a member here ;)
I just ordered an extra large Miss Japan
Im sew excited heh.... 8D

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

There are at least ten that I want for next year.
I was so excited about Chris getting in Miss Japan. I had been coveting that one for a long time. And then was so amazed at its size when it got her.

What size did you order?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I got the extra large, I think. To the left is Miss Japan, next to one of typical size when first bought.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

As you can see, the newer leaves are variegating much better than when it arrived.

Thumbnail by rylaff

The anticipation is killing me lol!

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Yours is pulled, and will be packed shortly. I think you'll be quite pleased with the caudex. Multiple large roots twisting together for the caudex, as requested. Additionally, yours was one of the ones that originally arrived after hard pruning, and is putting off some nice new growth. The new growth isn't large enugh to get beat up in shipping, but large enough to give a great look upon arrival.

I really like requests on the orders, as I enjoy hunting for that special one. It kind of lets me become a personal shopper for our customers. The true satisfaction comes when they say it's perfect.

Here's the list Gretchen picked for next year. These don't include my choices.

Black Cyclone

Dancing Lady

Joyful

Muang Siam

Superba

Bosom Jade

Champa Sak

Kaleidoscope

Muang Madam

Sum Ka Sut

Blue Select

Breeder

Emperor Star

Miss Japan

Miss India

I think we'll also be bringing in about a dozen specimen sizes each month next year. They'll be 7-8 years old, and ready for full on displays, or shows. The hardest part will be selling them, and not keeping them for my self. :-)

If there's a must have on your list, please feel free to request it. We brought in Miss Japan specifically at Lisa's request.

I just did my final hard prune of the year, in hopes of getting them to flush one more time. This time, I'll try to get more pics. The personal collection is over 100 varieties now. It's going to be tough to follow the annual regiment of 3 hard prunes per year, and 1 lift every other year.

Chris

Im glad you enjoy the personal requests.
Ive requested of nursery owners in the past that they themselves pick my plants for me as they would their own.
I have recieved plants I wasnt impressed with picked by staff and upon my request a very nice replacement was made by the owner.
This not referring to rot or damage but shape and appearance.
I think when the owners special pick a plant it is just that, a nice selection.
Then the plant always has that special attribute and it is even more special ;)
I am very much looking forward to recieving her.
Im curious, when you do a hard pruning, what do you do with the cuttings?
I graft mine back into root stock if I have it.
If I dont have a recipient ready I root them until I do.
Here is my want list and if I am able to get the beans together via plumeria sales Ill order most in the spring.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mediapicta
Phet Sailung
Taiwan Pink Variegate
Khao Sala Phat Ng
Pretty Lovely
Sri Ayutthaya
Bosom Jade
Jade Peony
Ji Ali
Pink Delight
Princess Beauty
Uranus
Black Cyclone
Canary Bird
Superba
Top Star
Black & White
Octopussy eh? mayyybe...
Purple Prince
Swastik
White Jade Peony

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

I hate to say it, but the cuttings are generally dumped, unless I have a specific graft I'm looking for. One hundred plants, personally, multiplied by 2-20 branches, = a bunch of freaking cuttings. I hard pruned Harry Potter stock today, and that was close to 500 cuttings of one variety. I just don't have the room or time to cultivate them.

Some of those varieties are already in stock, and the majority will be added in the spring. Ashish just got back to me this evening with pictures of the White Jade Peony. It was a sport from the regular Jade Peony, and is by far one of the best whites I've seen. Huge, pure white flowers, and extremely floriferous. It'll definately be on the list.

Chris

Yardley, PA

Chris, I am curious - Why do you hard prune 3 times a year? I hard prune each spring because I like everything close to the caudex and it is supposed to thicken the caudex.
What does 3 do? Sally

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Sally,

I hard prune 3x per year, basically because I can in this climate. Hard pruning induces flowering. From the first hard prune in March, I'm about 8-10 weeks to a completely flowering canopy. This gives me a full top towards the end of May. I hard prune again in the 2nd or third week of June, immediately after the last flower has dropped. This gives me another full canopy in 8 weeks, as it's hotter. Around the end of August. I then do another at the end of that flower cycle, to give me a thrid full canopy in the early part of November. Naturally the 1st is most likely too early in your area, and the third too late.

I've normally done 2, and just this year realized I can get away with 3 if I'm dilligent.

Chris

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.