Need some PUNCH to my driveway!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Hi, I'm considering a change for two planters that border my big garage door. Three years ago I planted camelias flanking either side, and they just haven't done very well. It's too hot for them here, as there is considerable heat radiating from wood siding in the late afternoon. All summer long the new leaves get scorched by the sun and look brown and crispy.

I have had good luck with this variety of hibiscus in a pot on the same wall: Tradewinds Hibiscus, "Whirlwind" from the Breeze series. I'm considering getting a few more to use in place of the camelia. I bought this at Home Depot though, and they no longer carry it. Any suggestions on where to find this again? Or I'm open to ideas on something that might give a little more pizzaz to the front of my home.

Thanks a bunch! Christina :)

Thumbnail by cnswift
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Here's a photo of the existing camelia and there's a matching one on the other side. (please ignore the arrow - it's from an old post)

Thumbnail by cnswift
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you're thinking of Hibiscus, come on over to the Hibiscus forum and check out all the pretty pics! You'll also find reco's on some good mail order hibiscus vendors.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b)

For that spot, I could see two matching spiraled columnar conifers. I'm not sure of the exact name, though, maybe junipers?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks for the suggestions. I did check out the hibiscus forum-wow there are some beautiful flowers. Laura, do you have a photo of your suggestion? I hadn't thought of something like that, but I'm intrigued. Here is a photo of the other side - do you think it would look ok with the giant philodendrum?

Thumbnail by cnswift
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'd vote for the hibiscus with the philo to keep the tropical look going. I also wonder if the Junipers are going to get too tall--those beds are really narrow and really close to the garage, and I think if you plant the junipers there, they'll get too tall eventually and bang into the overhang from the garage roof. I agree that they might look nice there, but I think you'd need to be able to plant them a little farther out from the garage and your beds don't look wide enough to do that.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

The beds are really small, you're correct. I have a two hibiscus now that are in pots, and they seem to enjoy being cut back so I didn't think size would ever be an issue. I also like that they bloom nearly year round and that they're just so resilient.

I thought of little palms here too, but I don't like that you can't cut them down - so eventually I'd be in the same boat as the junipers.

Richmond Hill, GA

Christina, Have you thought about clematis? Your area looks perfect for them. Just a thought.
Arlene

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I've always wanted to try clematis, good idea. I'll check it out. How are they with pests? Is there any certain variety you suggest?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

There's a thread in the CA Gardening forum about growing Clematis in SoCal--you should probably check that out for suggestions on ones that will do well for you. I don't remember specifics from that thread, but I guess your climate's not ideal for some of them.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Tea Olive

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

will do, thanks!

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

Christina...

How about something tall like Plumeria? This one is Plumeria Pudica...a very slight fragrance, but constantly blooming. I planted this one with some Bloodleaf and gaura...I have it in full sun in my pool cage and it's doing well.

Thumbnail by KatG

How about a nice couple of palms planted with something colorful underneath?

Ignore this crazy vine, as at this point it was out of control. This is a bottle palm with sweet potato vine.

Thumbnail by KatG

Oooooops...looking back on your post, you have planters!!! Sorry. I'm a container freak so when somebody mentions planters...I think of pots!

Plumeria could still work though...

Does dwarf Poinciana grow in So. Cal?

Thumbnail by KatG
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Wow, I want to live where you live! It looks like a resort. your suggestions are fantastic, thank you! Plumeria is actually one of my all time favorite trees, but they don't grow well here. Much of the year they lose their leaves and look like a dead stick. It might need humidity to look really good or something else that we don't have. Bummer! I look up the dwarf Poinciana, I haven't heard of it before but it's an interesting idea. :)

Thanks!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You should talk to Clare_CA--I think she lives down near you somewhere and hers seem to do great. I know she's got a bunch planted in the ground. She posts a lot on the Plumie forum if you want to check out what she's growing. The dwarf poinciana should do well for you too, it's hardier than the plumies so you shouldn't have any problem at all.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

no kidding? I'd love to have plumerias! I go crazy for them when I'm in Hawaii!

I totally agree with you Ecrane...I really think that these are two varieties that would survive. The "Pudica" variety is much more hardy. They're just in a constant bloom/growth stage in my garden

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I love my Plumeria pudica, if only it had more of a fragrance it would be absolutely perfect! Normally it blooms much more than my other plumie, but for some reason this year it got off to a slow start, but 'Mely's Pink' has been blooming nonstop since probably March or April.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I'm late, so you've probably already made your decision and planted them, but for color you may want to consider pyracantha or bougainvillea. They both require a trellis and careful pruning due to thorns, but are wildly colorful!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images