Tod's 2007 Dahlias pt. 2

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Got a few holdouts yet, and a bunch of photos queued. Poor old brain can't remember some names without looking for the tags. Here's Arabian Night, one of my late plantings. Verrrrrrry dark red:

Thumbnail by todgor

Bloomquist Glow, a big yellow that can substitute if you can't find any light bulbs:

Thumbnail by todgor

A pale-ish Citron de Cap:

Thumbnail by todgor

Dana, a very sickly plant two years running, but what a beauty, I will try again and again til I get a healthy one:

Thumbnail by todgor

Hana Hitosuji, its much more yellow than this, but I like this pic better than the "blue tarp background" one:

Thumbnail by todgor

Lillian Stewart:

Thumbnail by todgor

Mick's Peppermint (another one that was sickly two years in a row):

Thumbnail by todgor

Sans Souci:

Thumbnail by todgor

A pale-ish Show n' Tell, kind of looks like it used hair relaxer, shouldn't be that straight:

Thumbnail by todgor

Tahoma Red Tide:

Thumbnail by todgor

Wyn's King Salmon:

Thumbnail by todgor

Another shot of Kenora Sunset which I liked, what a bushy plant! The wind tipped its great mass of stems and I spent a good amount of time wrestling it upright today.

Thumbnail by todgor

A shot of part of the morning haul, headed for work:

Thumbnail by todgor
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Spectacular blooms!! Wow. Love them all. Some of them look like sea creatures...

Joanne

Parma, OH(Zone 5b)

Tod
You have some nice blooms there. My one Hana Hitosuji toppled
over and I lost most of it. Some of it still hanging in there. The one
that is still upright shows some orange toward the middle of the
blooms. Lesson learned about staking. Thanks for sharing.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Looks great Tod.
I like Dana, King Salmon and Sans Souci.
All nice. Lillian Stewart looks like one Pooch is trying to ID, similar to Kenora Frills I have.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Very nice Todd. I really like Hana Hitosuji, Kenora Sunset. Nice Arabian Night. Wyn's King Salmon is a beaut as well.

Al, my NOID hot pink is the very hottest pink with white It's Alma Potschke Aster hot pink for reference. (Now in bloom BTW!) One of my winter projects is to find all laciniated hot pink/whites B- BB sized and come up with a name if possible.

Been queueing up for awhile, I have one or two left, that Emory Paul better get going!

Here's a funny story - I ordered Bert Pitt from one seller, I got Baron Chris. So later I was filling spots, and I ordered Akita. Well, I got Bert Pitt! Here it is:

Thumbnail by todgor

That Citron de Cap before was wimpy and pale, here's a bigger and better one!

Thumbnail by todgor

This is Gargantuan. I don't like this one, it was very late to bloom and the form was off on all blooms so far:

Thumbnail by todgor

A favorite of mine, back again, Hakuyoh. Not as big as last year's but just as beautiful. Will start indoors next year so I can get to the hyper-blooming phase.

Thumbnail by todgor

This one took forever and the blooms are few and not great - Jannie P:

Thumbnail by todgor

Tried to get a decent pic of this one, but no blooms after the blurro-vision ones. It's Rip City:

Thumbnail by todgor

This is one amazing AA bloom! I can't say enough about this, and there only seems to be one seller, Pleasant Valley. Which is a shame because they ripped me off for two tubers and would not contact me by email. But I will give them the benefit of the doubt once, since they have great AAs!

It's Walter Wendt:

Thumbnail by todgor

Ah, and here is Vera's Elma, keep forgetting to post this one, I much prefer Elma Elizabeth. But what a hulking plant it is.

Thumbnail by todgor

And I had to post this Tahoma Red Tide, because all the previous ones were so washed out. I am beginning to be soured on liquid fertilizers, I think they only seem to provide sufficient color for one week of bud sets. And the color seems to be set then, and can't be enhanced thereafter. But a nice shot here:

Thumbnail by todgor

And now for some jungle shots, one in the center of the jungle:

Thumbnail by todgor

And from the front of the jungle, with all my step ladders around the Big Wows. The center one is about 11 feet here, alas, it is much shorter now after the windy storm, at least it brought the blooms to a level I could cut them, but at quite a price. Gotta find 12 foot stakes maybe next year.

Thumbnail by todgor

And a better shot of Mom's Special, a big hit around the office, and one of my favorites:

Thumbnail by todgor
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Tod - your jungle is ridiculous that's for sure. I had less over 6' here this year - which is good. My height champion was Penhill Watermelon at 7' - Mazama broke off or would have won.

Mom's Special has my colors that's for sure. Rip City is a pure purple isn't it. I like your Hakuyoh.

I do use almost all liquid fertilizer and didn't really have a problem with color.

OK, finally got to unload the last pics from my camera, I've got just two late-comers. Here's Emory Paul, at last, never bloomed last year:

Thumbnail by todgor

Inland Dynasty:

Thumbnail by todgor
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

What a fabulous collection and great photos, Tod.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Lovely sunny blooms TOD!!
Very welcome bit of cheer on what has become a rather snowy day here. ;p

Joanne

Edited to address the post to the correct grower!! LOL. (Thanks Pirl. ;) )

This message was edited Nov 4, 2007 5:20 PM

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Great collection indeed Todd. I nominate Tahoma Red Tide, the 10/14 photo, as the winner for me. That is one beautiful flower! Did you get hit by the big winds of Noel?

Tod - On the Tahoma Red post you mentioned your disappointment with liquid fertilizers. I never even get around to using them but I'm curious as to what you will use next year. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks, Pooch, it wasn't one of my favorites, the petals didn't come out quite like the pictures. The local weather lady scared me with talk of 40-45mph winds coming for Nicole, but there wasn't much at all.

PIrl, I think where I got into trouble was the Open Sesame stuff, the numbers were high, but the total fertilizer content when diluted was much lower than something like Omega 6-6-6 or Alaska Morbloom. But still I got the feeling the stuff just ran right through my raised beds. Either that or it was the wrong amount. I am going to research some slow release solids for next year. I would also love to get some info on just how much of a fertilizer should be distributed, so its not too much or too little.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I vote for Tahomas Red Tide, too.

Tod, I wanted you to especially know that I enjoyed my biggest blooms the most -- no one could be more surprised than I, because they seemed like they would be out of placein my garden, but they weren't. I thought of you when they bloomed, and thought to myself, "That Tod sure had the ticket on these big things!"

Suzy

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

That's a dollar for using "My vote" - patent pending .LOL

I'm caught up pretty well and can vote for Inland Dynasty - as long as you tell me the eye doesn't open up fast like other LC's do.

Thanks, Tod, and good luck with the perfect amount of fertilizer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.