First and Last Frost Dates

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Here is a link where you can find out when your average first and last frost dates are.

http://www.victoryseeds.com/frost/

X

(Zone 7b)

Thanks!

(Zone 7b)

Just a note. When I went to my state and actually looked at the temps, they seemed a bit off from what I have documented the past few years. I kept thinking, gosh we don't get frosts that late! I started questioning my memory until I noticed right below the dates they list their source...

"Source: "Climatography of the U.S. No. 20, Supplement No. 1", 1988, National Climatic Data Center, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce."

So 1988 is a bit outdated. That's almost 20 years ago, lol. What I am wondering is if the temps for other states are also quoted from this source?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

That chart has always been right on for me.

X

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The chart looks pretty close for me too......most years, I'm a few days earlier for last frost and a few days later for first frost, but they're within a week of what I would consider 'normal'....and when it comes to my tender plants....that's like playing Russian Roulette...I tend to err on the side of safety.

Mike Dunton is a great guy, and I've done several projects with him in the past....he's the kind of guy who will check his sources with a magnifying glass. There are cycles in climate that will affect the dates for several years. Even though my last frost date is stated as 4/17....and my personal records average it about 4/10...I still won't put anything valuable in the ground till 4/25. I have too many things that if the seedlings are lost....the whole cultivar is gone forever.

(Zone 7a)

Thanks, X - have been looking all over for this

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Says September 15 for first frost. Morning of September 15 was 30. Our only frost this year so far.
Last frost this spring was April 10. It says May something. I have seen it that late.
Bernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images