What IS Texas Pride?

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

I've heard it referred to as a whole 'nother country. I'm not native to Texas so I don't know the history behind it but here's what my friend who does not live in Texas recently asked me and I didn't have an answer for them....

Quoting:
You brought up an interesting point that I've been curious about... perhaps you'll have the answer, not being native to Texas but living there. Anyways... what IS it with Texas pride??? I mean, I've never heard of people in my state being so interested in their own state. Why is it that Texans consider their state to be such a gold mine? And that star... what's the deal with the Texas star being displayed absolutely everywhere? People who move from Texas to here are OBSESSED with the Texas star as a decoration. Our state flag has a farmer plowing his field but I don't know a soul here who has that put on glass and placed on their door...or on their car...not even a sticker...not ANYWHERE. Am I just bonkers or what? lol

Please note, no disrepect intended. Just seeking an honest answer.

And while I'm at it what does, "Keep Austin Weird" mean?

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I may be full of hot air and totally off base, but as a native Texan who has spent most of her lifetime living outside the state, here's my explanation:

Texas History is/was taught in seventh grade. In California, I taught California History to fourth grade students who probably won't remember anything they learned in fourth grade. I certainly don't remember much from my fourth grade experiences. Seventh graders have matured enough to remember more. They are also more outward looking, not as family oriented as fourth graders. I don't know when and if other states teach their state history. It's partly a learned behavior, as the flag is everywhere. Our nearest little village of 53, flies both flags.

It is the only state to have won its independence, become a republic, then voluntarily become a state. It is the only state whose flag can be flown at the same level as the US flag. Per capita, more Texans have served in the armed forces in the past few wars. There is still that westward movement mentality in this country and Texas is the destination. David Crockett says it all when he states: "You may all go to h*##, and I will go to Texas." That star represents a lot.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Amen!

Non native but proud that the Texas state flag shares the same respect the US flag does. That single sight moves me greatly ~ and is a fact many folks (non Texan) don't know or understand.

Texas is wealth ~ it has oil, gas, timber, beef, sheep, goats, minerals, ports on the gulf and much more. We have pride in this great state and take it to heart when people "mess" with Texas!

Here for 35 years and here to stay!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

"Keep Austin Weird"---Being the capital, Austin has always been populated by government employees (TWC, IRS, DPS...etc), but many, many years ago Austin was primarily a college town (UT has about 50K undergrad and grad students 17K faculty. Austin Community College 33K students.....then there's St. Edwards and other colleges in town). This sort of environment tends to attract musicians and other artists. College town + artists = diverse culture---some might say "weird". This "weird" subculture of Austin, not only had a significant population, but a strong voice and political power. In part due to this political power, the city tended to value independent spirit, personal expression, and other ideals such as environment over economy.

Austin then sort of exploded with economic opportunity (Dell, 3M, Motorolla, HEB, IBM.....etc). The lakes around Austin now have full on home construction, the greenbelt is disappearing, the traffic congestion is clogging. I went to UT in the early 90s and witnessed the transformation of Round Rock from small town to concrete suburb.

"Keep Austin Weird" is a rallying cry to maintain the independent spirit and clean environment of Austin.

The "weirdness" of Austin was depicted by Richard Linklater in his first major movie release "Slacker" 1991. Interesting film, not for kids.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102943/

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Born in a hospital 13 miles from where I have lived for almost 41 years.....lived in the state all of my life. My neighbors who come here tell me that we are friendlier, more helpful, interested in the other person, big hearted, always there in a pinch, we don't shake hands, we hug your neck, we rarely turn anyone away, our landscape from El Paso to Texarkana, and Lubbock to Brownsville covers just about every planting zone and growing conditions as the rest of the entire nation. We build and build and build and still have the largest vacant land mass in the continental states. Never really understood why it was so important that Texas was BIG. In some respects we make it our own cartoon.....like to laugh at ourselves......always ready for a happy time. When it comes right down to it....pride that the common man does the very best he/she can.....don't think that is different from all the rest of our nation.

Grand Saline, TX(Zone 7b)

As others have so eloquently stated I believe it to be our diversity. Even if you don't like it all, there's more than plenty of things to love.

Lol, Collin. I was going to suggest Slackers. I love that film, but then again I may be one of the weird ones.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

No, you're not weird. My nephew lives in Austin. Was a student in the late 80's-early 90's.
Went to DC for 3 years and hated it.....couldn't wait to get back to Austin. He says there are more licenses tags on the cars in Austin from California than Texas. Frightened it will loose it's charm. No slam on the folks for CA. They sell their homes for a large fortune there and come to Austin and can't believe the difference in home pricing so they buy the old areas and build a McMansion. He and his wife have been trying to buy for a year....finally bought 30 miles out of Austin because they had been priced out. Austin is in danger of being a slice of LA.

Please, please no offense meant to our friends from CA. Just the difference in finance has changed the landscape. Change is inevitable I guess.

WOW this has been great and a nice history lesson for some transplanted to Texas. :) I appreciate all the info. Bettydee you said it so wonderfully! I remember having state history lessons in elementary to and can scarely remember those days!

Austin in danger of being LA? I've worked up in Austin and think, thank goodness, it has a long way to go before catching up to LA. Nice to know the background on that "Keep Austin weird" slogan! Thank-you so much "ya'll"!

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

I learned the state song about fourth grade. I always knew I was born and lived in the best place on earth.

"Texas, Our Texas"

Texas, Our Texas! all hail the mighty State!
Texas, Our Texas! so wonderful so great!
Boldest and grandest, withstanding ev'ry test
O Empire wide and glorious, you stand supremely blest.
(chorus)

Texas, O Texas! your freeborn single star,
Sends out its radiance to nations near and far,
Emblem of Freedom! it set our hearts aglow,
With thoughts of San Jacinto and glorious Alamo.
(chorus)

Texas, dear Texas! from tyrant grip now free,
Shines forth in splendor, your star of destiny!
Mother of heroes, we come your children true,
Proclaiming our allegiance, our faith, our love for you.

Chorus

God bless you Texas! And keep you brave and strong,
That you may grow in power and worth, throughout the ages long.
God bless you Texas! And keep you brave and strong,
That you may grow in power and worth, throughout the ages long.

And the pledge to the Texas flag...

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas one state under God, one and indivisible."

I started getting involved in city government attending council meetings and was moved to quickly learn this with pride!

Incidently, the "under God" was newly added to this pledge by the legislature this year.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Another reason to be proud about Texas is that of the approximately 40,000 native plants found in North America, over 20% are native to Texas.
And to top it off we have beautiful wildflowers, shrubs and trees.
I am not a native Texan but I am very proud of my adoptive state and I love living here.
Josephine.

Besides ~ those of us that are "non-native" have an advantage. We KNOW what it is like to live elsewhere ~ LOL

LOL @ pod...oh so true!!!!!

Josephine, I like that Texas runs the gamet when it comes to variety of zones and plants but I much prefer east Texas trees for reminding me of the trees of the north. That's the one thing I was sad about in San Antonio area....short trees.

I feel the same about the east Texas trees. When we have been out west, it is such a soothing relief to reenter the taller trees of east (by God)Texas!

Savoring the solace of the woods! 8 )

Missouri City, TX

Gotta relate how I got here - and why I'm still here.

USAF brought me to Texas in 1964. San Antonio area is where Basic Training started. It varied for hot to snow in February, but was so flat. Tech School was in Wichita Falls - temperatures were even more extreme. General's quarters had to have the trees and shrubs replanted annually. Finally got permanent assignment at Randolph - just NE of San Antonio. Was part of a group that had grown up in upper medwest - MN, WI, MI.

We were complaining about the heat, and the fact that plants and animals all seemed to sting, bite, stab, etc.

One of our teammates told us that we did not know Texas, but he was willing to show us. He went home for a weekend and when he returned, said we would commute to his home the following Friday night - see a Texas Football Game, have dates, and a good time Saturday.

It was very foggy on that drive - could only see a couple of highway stripes at a time - took most of the night to get to his home. His mom and GM had spread "pallets" on the porch, livingroom, and almost any other available space for 26 young men.

When we awakened in the morning to birds singing, I walked out on the back porch - there were tall trees and a pond. It reminded me of where I grew up in N. MN. I was trying to figure out how we got back to Minnesota driving so slow in the fog.

He walked up beside me and asked. "So, what do you think of Texas, now?"
Was to dumbstruck to answer. After breakfast, we went to town - there were giant oil derricks everywhere in downtown. We were in Killgore.

The evening we cleaned up and went to the game. At half-time we wanted to get something to drink, but our host said , "No, stay and watch".

Then the Rangerettes took the field. It was worth waiting for. Then he announced to us that those were our dates. Texas was looking a whole lot better!

We had a wonderful weekend, and made the trip to East Texas many times that fall.

Following Spring a group of us made the trip to Corpus Christi -- another side of Texas that was different. Made a trip to El Paso, Larado, Big Bend, and explored the Hill Country. So many different "Texas's".

40 years later we are still discovering "new" adventures to take within the state. Friendliest place I've ever been. Sort of like a current commercial, "been married to the same gal for 38 years" - met in SA and return every year to stay in the Menger Hotel, beside the Alamo.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you, Bubba. From someone that knows the state from the outside in that was a lovely tribute. Some of what I was trying to convey but you are more eloquent. I don't know any place else. Have no desire to travel very far. Except to see my DG friends in the islands. In my community we always welcome the new comers with open arms. Last year we were awarded "All American City". Pretty good for about 50,000 population now.
When we moved to this home in Feb. 1967, there were less than 2000 pop. including the dogs and cats. Have witnessed quite a lot of change...some good, a little bit bad because we have lost our open spaces.

To any and all of you that came here on purpose...WELCOME. Have a seat and stay awhile.

"You don't have to thank us or laugh at our jokes
Sit deep and come often.....You're one of the folks" unknown

Wow, thank-you!

I'm lucky to have had a job that traveled all over Texas so I've seen many of the cities and towns and everything in between from El Paso to all the towns in "the valley" to Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Bryan/CS, Houston, etc. El Paso was my first visit to a desert town and I thought they did a wonderful job xeriscaping and they still had tons of blooms---it was quite pretty! When my parents visited I tell you mom was aghast---she said, "They have TREES?" Note, we were in East Texas. I suppose a lot more folks would be moving to Texas if they only knew it has a bit of every thing huh?

I always wonder about the folks who live here and complain about the heat. Go north I say! LOL---decades of living with snow I'll never complain about the heat...well okay, if I do just smack me! :)

Bubba---quite true on

Quoting:
the fact that plants and animals all seemed to sting, bite, stab, etc
you do have to watch out for the surplus nature populations!

Missouri City, TX

Lou,
When the "oil patch" died in '83, spent 2 years in Denver and another 2 in LA.
We had tried to escape Houston for 9 of the 14 years we lived here, but after 4 years gone - the "green", the humidity, and all the things we missed - Houston looked GREAT!

Only city we ever wished was in Texas is Key West. With what I do, I will work where the clients are, but live where I want to live - and that's Texas.

When I got an assignment years ago in Lubbock, I thought. "oh no, not West Texas", because I had seen Amarillo and Midland/Odessa. But to my surprise, it is a great little city - clean and VERY friendly. When we first went there it seemed that there were only a few good dining establishments - when I was reassigned a decade later - amazing the transformation -- but it did not lose any of the charm.

Gotta relate a Texasism:

We made a driving trip home from Denver, and were on our way back driving some roads we had never traveled in NW TX. Stopped for lunch in some tiny town with very few buildings, but there was a small motel with a restaurant.
The waitress asked if there was anything on the menu we wanted -
We said, "yes it all looks good, but we don't see what we want."

She asked, "What's that?"

In unison we said, "Chicken Fried Steak."

She laughed and replied, "We don't have to put that on a menu in Texas - go get your salads, and I'll have them right out".

This message was edited Oct 1, 2007 12:01 PM

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

yeah, boy.....as my daddy would always say. Worked for about 5 years for 2 guys from Long Island and New Jersey. One day they had a visitor from NY....called me into the office and said....."say one of those Texas things".....of course, being native I had no idea....told them I don't know what that was....have always spoken Texan. They used to laugh at things that I just thought were normal. They came here because they love it.

See you have a Texas moniker.....Bubba

Missouri City, TX

Ha Ha, That's due to the restaurant - wanted people that knew me to easily identify who it is.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh wow! Ice House has special conotations for most Texans. Do you have CFS and BBQ?

Missouri City, TX

No, just great burgers & beer.

First restaurant in Houston to serve bison - opened in August 1985.
Still buying from the same packer / rancher in SD.

Missouri City, TX

Hey Lou,

What kinda coke you want?
What'cha fixin to do?
Goin' over yonder, today?
That dog don' hunt!
All hat, no cows!

Just a few of the "Texas speak" things they thought were funny in LA.

Once I knew it cracked them up, I tried to work them into every conversation.
Got invited to lots of meetings - wonder why?

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

But then Texas isn't for everyone. I believe it was Sherman who, following the Civil War was given jurisdiction over Texas. He once supposedly said that if he owned Texas and hell he would rather rent out Texas and live in hell. lol.

Anne
(native born and bred)

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

My husband is a native Texan. His great-great grandfather is in the cemetary there. Texas had a war fought over it..once part of Mexico and now part of the US...(but always an independant spirit)

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

I don't know about the younger generation but we were raised on the stories and legends. And being Texans they were, or course about part of who we are. We (imho) tend to take great pride in our history, and expansiveness. It's a part of us and we take it with us wherever we go.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

....gulley washer

Missouri City, TX

Bar ditch

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

aint got no....

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

meet cha on the conner...

bless your heart....

I swan....

Missouri City, TX

Caint run with the big dogs if you p** like a puppy.

Missouri City, TX

Ain't that somethin'

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

If you cain't run with the big dogs....stay on the porch.

Mighty nice of ya...

yessireeebob

cain't git there from here

momma's always call their children by their double names.....Christi Lou...come here,
see ya later, Mary Margaret....here comes Michael Lynn

Missouri City, TX

Come-on all y'all

Lou and I can't be the only ones havin' this much fun.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Lady Bird Johnson and the Wildflower Center make me feel very proud of Texas.

Frost, yes I was pleased with a PBS bio on her and didn't realize how much she had to do with beautifying the world!

Missouri City, TX

The wildflowers along our interstate highways, always so beautiful in the spring. And the wildflower seed farm between Wharton and El Campo.

I appreciated the "green" look Bryan/CS and the colleges there try to put on. I'd call that the crepe myrtal capital of Texas there lol. San Antonio while climate allows for lots of plant variety could use some more landscaping.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.