For Gourd Part 2

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Here is the second installment!

http://www.xeramtheum.com/ForGourd1.htm

X

North Augusta, ON

You mean digital cameras don't have a preview? I mean, with my cell phone, I can see if the picture is ok before I take it......you can't do that with a digital camera?

Mesilla Park, NM

I printed the instructions and have to find where I can select the picture size and quality on the camera.

Thank you... I'll come back and post a photo..
A.

Mesilla Park, NM

Okay, here are my subjects.. I was so afraid to take it off of Auto... but, I did it. I downsized the photo to 850 pixels, can I upload the bigger one here?? I don't know how to convert to mgbytes. Didn't have MGs to photograph tonight.

#1 Dusty

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Here is Harley,

I used the smallest number of photos on the card, so could take less photos, but better quality.. I beleive I did use the macro out of habit, I'll try some without the macro. Can you see a difference?

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

here is harley with the larger pixels

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

They took off running, don't want their photos taken anymore, caught them in the hall.. this is at 850 pixels.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

same photo at 1600 pixels..

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

they look the same here, were they downsized automatically when I uploaded to the forum? Also, I found out that the camera goes right back to Auto when I shut it off. So, I have to reset it every time I turn it back on.

A.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Lookin good! Camera didn't explode either with Auto off!

In the picture, the one on the left is you 1600 pixels and the right 850. Right away you can see the one on the left is larger and more than a wee bit clearer in real life than the screenshot I took of your two pictures.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

In this screenshot you can see when you look at the eye more pixels and colors on the left than the right.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm not familiar with the program you use to manipulate your pictures, but I dare say that somewhere in the software it tells you how many megs your pictures are. Look for something like what the arrows are pointing to in the picture.

The first 2 numbers are pixels, the 3rd number colors and the 4th number megabytes.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

xera, thanks for helping me learn how to take better pictures! It isn't just Gourd who has troubles. I have a Panasonic TZ1, which is more complicated than a point and shoot should be. I used to have an Olympia D40 (or something like that) which took perfect pictures every time. I've got Paint Shop Pro too, but it's another one of those programs that has too big a learning curve to master all of it.

Can you help me with this one? I've been trying to get a decent photo of this and can't seem to get the hang of it.

Thumbnail by revclaus

Maybe this one shows the problem better.

Thumbnail by revclaus
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Not enough pixels in the first ... have you set your pixel size to the max? The setting with the fewest available picutres? and !!!!!BACK UP!!!!! Look at what IS in focus in the last picture.

X

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

You can usually find your camera manual on the net. Here is how i found gourds. She told me it was a Finepix 2650 so I went to a search engine and typed in

Finepix 2650 manual

Just that. So if you can't find where you stashed the manual for your camera see if you can find it on the net.

X

Thanks, X! I do have my manual, but I can't find how to do this.

The reason you don't see many pixels is that it's cropped and condensed before posting just to help ou the dial up folks. The pixels are set for 5 M. I must be doing something else wrong.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Take another and don't condense it please.

I think you can get it here:

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/customer-Support/download-centre.asp

Just select "AV products" under product category and "Digital Still Camera" under product sub category. Then scroll down the list and select DMCTZ1. The one at 9.46 MB is the US version.

X

Mesilla Park, NM

X, you've got to see this!!!! look at the White Flower.. the details are great.. I did not downsize it, 1600 pixels

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

I've got one more I want you to see, I've been waiting for these to bloom at the same time.

Cardinal Climber, Sloteri Apricot Candy, and Cypress Vine...

Hopefully the cypress will bloom again, that plant was on it's last leg, but.. I know I still did not do them justice..

Thumbnail by Gourd
scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

Almost everything you upload is 800 x 600 pixels so I think DG resizes the photos for this website. Right click on the opened photo and click on "Properties" to find pixel size. Check before and after you upload it to DG.

Mesilla Park, NM

It sure did Beth, it said 100 x 100 pixels.. Thanks for letting me know about that. So, even if I do not downsize them, DG will, but the quality will be better if I leave them at the 1600 pixels? Right?

I like the quality I'm getting now that X has explained these things..

Upload the highest pixels to DG that you can. If it's TOO high for DG, the photo won't upload. You can downsize it only if it refuses to upload.

That way we'll all see the best photo that DG allows.

Mesilla Park, NM

I sure did not know that.. I've been making them all smaller for the last couple of years..lol.. well, things are going to change around here...

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh, this is a sideview of a White Purp at full size.. I am so happy, I can see the difference in my photos too.

X---- if you were here, I'd hug and kiss you!!!!! you too Beth..lol..

Thumbnail by Gourd
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

You did good Gourd! You can even see the hairs on the sepals in that last one!!!!
I didn't know that either Beth.

X

This message was edited Oct 4, 2007 2:20 PM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

X - very user friendly information...macros are my favorite!!! Please keep the photos 101 coming. Here is Hoya Bella - one bloom from a cluster that is slightly bigger then a quarter

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Here is the cluster...going to use your suggestions for tweaking the EV - Exposure Compensation next year when she blooms

Thumbnail by Chantell
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Beautiful!!!

X

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

You might be interested to know the max size of a photo is limited to 1000 pixels wide but not limited to file size.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/395080/

X, here's the full, unexpurgated, uncropped version. I looked up how to take a macro in my manual, and they said to use a tripod. I can't set up a tripod in my space, so will have to make do without one. Is there anything more I can do? This was taken in macro mode with flash off.

Thumbnail by revclaus

Here's what I don't get. This picture of the red nicotiana is fine. But the yellow flower always comes through blurry, no matter what I do. Aaaarrrrgggghhhhhh!!

Thumbnail by revclaus
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

It looks like your auto focus is keying in on the wrong thing like that leaf in the foreground. When I have that trouble I will either tuck the leaf away from the subject but if that is not possible I will remove the leaf. Another tactic is to use the zoom. Unless you have really shakey hands, I don't see where a tri-pod would help and if you do use a tri-pod use the self timer. It also looks like you are too far away for macro.

Most digitals that have manual controls also have different ways of focusing. Check your manual on focusing. Mine has center, flexible spot, multiple spot and manual. Take the picture again but use the flashlight trick. Put the beam on the flowers, let your camera focus, move the flashlight away and shoot.

X

Mesilla Park, NM

I took this one this morning, used the camera in manual, and cropped too, i think I also had the macro on.

Pachypodium Lameri XX something.. I forget what, anyway this is blooming too. Was I too close to this one?

Thumbnail by Gourd

I think you need to consider your audience and purpose when cropping. If you are sending a photo for an identification you probably want all the background features of the plant in evidence. If it is a bloom of a plant already identified and you are just showing the bloom, a tight crop is probably less distracting. I cropped a lot of my bloom photos just like that one to highlight the bloom itself.

If you want the photo to be nicely balanced and artistic, and pleasing to the viewer...then you need to go by the rule of thirds.

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh boy, what does the rule of two thirds mean? (I don't know)...

X went over the rule of 3rds in her first installment. It was our homework, LOL!

Mesilla Park, NM

I better go re-do my homework..lol. A.

X, I found on setting on my camera that will allow me to focus on three areas other than just the center. I used that and tried to steady myself taking a macro. See what you think. (These little yellow morning glories are always facing away from me toward the floor of my balcony. It's hard to get the camera down that far, especially if they're outside the balcony railing!

Thumbnail by revclaus
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've got that too .. multi-point focus. Try using the zoom to get closer.

X

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.