What do you look for in a perennial?

Agawam, MA

Color, bloom time, uniqueness? This is only my second year with perennials, I'd love to hear what are your favorites and why. Thanks.
Cindy

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

Color and uniqueness used to be a factor.
Then I found I had so many flowers on my wish list I couldn't possibly fit them all in my garden. I have since narrowed down what I would like in my finished garden by bloom time.

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

Attractiveness and low maintenance. I have about 3 acres at this property that is "cultivated" including the mowed lawns (the grasses are perennials) so I need large areas that do not need to be prepared and planted each year. Lots of ruddbeckia,coneflowers,malva,carnation,dianthus,jacobs ladder,liatris,red hot pokers,sweet peas and oriental poppies all seed grown. beds of japanese and siberian irises,a few roses,bearded iris and asiatic lilies purchased as plants keep me busy and happy. Praise the Lord for perennials!

This message was edited Monday, Aug 20th 10:49 AM

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

Sis, your long line with no spaces has widened this page past the bounds of my poor monitor and probably most everybody else's. Do you think you could go back and edit your post? Thanks.

As for my perennials, I'm looking for anything that can survive my heavy soil and partial to full shade and still look good. LOL Once I've got all the spaces filled up, I'll consider getting more picky!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I try to find things that are different than what I already have! That leaves about 99.999% of the plants on the planet and I want them all! I try to stick with those that are suited to my climate but often try things that are borderline with mixed results.

This message was edited Monday, Aug 20th 10:50 AM

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

LOL. It's OK, Sis. We live and learn.

I have little trouble with invasive plants here. Soil is so rotten that I'm trying to figure out how to make most things survive. Invasive things do pretty good at that, but haven't been able to take over so far.

Of course, we've had drought this year. When the goutweed moves too far, I just let them dry till they droop, then pulling excess roots out of the very dry soil is child's play.

Mind you, I'm amending my soil bit by bit and in a couple of years - if I haven't moved - I may be singing a different tune!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.