SOLVED: Fall blooming shrub needing ID

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

A friend sent these photos with hopes of an ID. Never having seen this blooming in the east Texas woods nor in a garden, I am posting here with hopes of an identification.

Thumbnail by podster

The foliage had a dark bluish green hue...

Thumbnail by podster

The blooms are not quite like the common trumpet creeper. Decorated in shades of oranges and yellows which attracts the hummers and butterflies.

Thumbnail by podster

The seed pods are pendulous

Thumbnail by podster
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Looks like jewel weed, Impatiens capensis http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/1418/

I am thinking that is the correct plant from the plant files and a reference book I have. Thank you Ecrane. I have forwarded the link to the plant sleuth and will close this thread if ID is positive.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Definitely jewelweed.

Brenda

And it is a firm ID from the "plant hunter" ~

Quoting:
Yes, I am certain that is the plant! Good job. I will bookmark the ID site, also. Thanks for the links.

I will mark it solved.

Thanks all, it appears to be a really interesting plant. An aid for everything from bug bites, to poison ivy. Reputed to be a fungicide to be used on athletes foot and ringworm. Can anyone validate these varied uses? Any info would be appreciated.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've seen the idea of it being used for poison ivy mentioned numerous times on various forums around here during the past several months, so I guess there may be some truth to that one at least. Although personally I'm not going to go rolling around in poison ivy so that I can test it!

LOL ~ on that score, I will agree. I feel the comments made about it growing near the PI are not so it can be used for it but rather they enjoy the same habitat.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

It relieves the itch earned by walking through nettle patches in shorts.

I can personally vouch for THAT prescription, and never wish to repeat the experience.

Ouch! and it wasn't intentional I am sure. Got into that when we first moved to Tx. Got on a dirt bike in shorts/sandals and went thru a pasture. I discovered fire ants and bull nettles. The recommended solution at that time for bull nettles was urine! No WAY! But I didn't know about this plant in those days ~ lol.

Does anyone know if this plant will bloom the summer thru?

Clyde/Fines Creek, NC(Zone 5b)

Here in NC Jewel Weed has been blooming since June when I arrived and is still blooming. It will likely continue until frost.

The yellow flowered form is Impatiens pallida and the orange spotted flower form is Impatiens capensis. Both are rather weedy species and can seed generously.

ilima

Thanks ~ nice to know if is an everbloomer....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.