Boston Fern, Sword Fern (Nephrolepis exaltata)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Boston Fern, Sword Fern
Nephrolepis exaltata

Boston Fern, Sword Fern (Nephrolepis exaltata) at the Kula Botanical Garden in Maui

Thumbnail by htop
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

The plant in your image seems to have the appearance of the Southern Sword Fern (Nephrolepis cordifolia) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/58098/ with narrow upright leaves as opposed to a more lax growth of Nephrolepis exaltata http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/AG120. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

Thanks

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi,

The more upright ferns in the photo are not the dominant ferns in the photo are not Nephrolepis exaltata. As stated in the photo caption, the Nephrolepis exaltata ferns are to the right of the name plaque. The photo I took of the Nephrolepis exaltata ferns was blurred. So, the only photos I have are the one I posted above and the other one I posted of a frond.

Below are 2 photos which may clear things up a bit.

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

A closer view ...

Do you still believe it is Nephrolepis cordifolia? If so, please feel free to move the photos because the name plaque could be moisplaced or the plants misidentified.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2008 3:29 PM

Thumbnail by htop
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Hi htop,

Well, it does have the appearance of N. cordifolia but I could be wrong. The fern to the far right side that you did the close-up on seems to have more of a wider growth. The only reason I mentioned was that I was working on Nephrolepis exaltata plantfile and moving some to the cultivar 'Bostoniensis' cultivar. I don't believe we have a pic of the species. Only if you feel that it is N. cordifolia, then I'd move it.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I think it is a photo of Nephrolepis exaltata taken at an awkward angle. If you feel that it would confuse someone that is attempting to ID the plant, please feel free to remove it. I am sorry that I do not have a better photo. Thank you for your efforts in making the PlantFiles more precise.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images