North Texas Roundup plant ID thread.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Lets use this thread to identify the plants we did not mark before we left the roundup. Like me. LOL

Grand Saline, TX(Zone 7b)

If anyone picked up ziplock seed bags simply marked "duranta", I'm sorry, they are actually datura...I get the names of those two confused. It is white blooming and I am unsure of the exact species.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

this thread is a great idea. someone sent me a bunch of things all wrapped in walmart bags and taped together with priority postal tape. there are elephant ears, something that looks like a rose of sharon, a cedar elm maybe and i am not sure what else. lmk who you are so i can describe for you so i can i.d. and thank you. everything still looks good today.

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Mamajack, that sounds exactly like how Charlene wrapped my Yaupons. So I'm guessing your gifts came from her.

Carla

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Here is one marked Ted.

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

And ones I picked up off table and put both in one pot

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

SYLVIA , i forgot to tell you that i set 2 pots under your table and didn't label them. they were catalpa trees.

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Ted....the bromeliads you combined were from my bunch. I don't know the specific names of each. They need protection from freezes.

:) Kim

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Got a question for everyone....my mom has some bee balm now (thanks to everyone who gave us some, she is so happy!) and is wondering whether or not she should plant it now or wait until spring. They are in 8a below Waco.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

I know I should know what this plant is--I think someone talked to me about it--but for the life of me I can't remember. It has a label, but I can't read it. It says "Sasha Jim" or something like that.

Does that ring a bell with anyone? If not, I'll take a picture.

This message was edited Oct 29, 2007 5:29 PM

Buffalo, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow, this thread is a good idea. Yes, I am the wal-mart / postal tape culprit. I hope that helped the plants survive until they made it home. I individually bagged them and then taped 'em all together to make sure I got everyones trades to them. Hey, it worked for me. If it wasn't a good idea, let me know and I will change up how I do it.

I guess, I will get the camera tomorrow and get to work on the ones w/o id tags.

What a great bunch of people this is. And smart too, who'd have thought this thread up?

Charlene

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

the person who brought the fairy lily seeds please tell me what that is. i looked up fairy lily and that came up as rain lilies. but these do not look like rain lily seeds to me.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Who's marker is this?????

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is the plant I can't ID.

Thumbnail by pbtxlady
Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is the tag on it:

Thumbnail by pbtxlady
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

That is my marker Ted, sorry some of us have to work during the day! LOL! Those are the Waxleaf Privet you wanted. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51523/

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Thank you Sheila. Bless you. LOL

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

I received some plants in a gallon milk jug. They have thick stalks, which had been cut back, and the only marking was "patrob." Anyone know what they are or who they are from?

Thanks,
Patricia

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Ted, I got a pencil cactus? Does it have to go inside for the winter?

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

If Beebalm is also called Mondarda, then the purple one is from me and I am in zone 8a. I barely even mulch it.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

LouC here is the information on it.
http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plantoftheweek/articles/Pencil_Cactus.htm

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I am guilty again....(hanging my head)....the milk jug you have Pat, is Elephant Ears that I cut back and pulled up the day before. I gave you a couple of pots also I think, but I just hated not to bring those too.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

TARogers, I gave you the rock rose, and I know you like perennials. I don't think it is hardy in your zone. Anyone???

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you, Sheila, I am delighted to have more elephant ears! Those are huge stalks in the milk jugs, so I am guessing I will have big ears next spring. Perfect!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LouC, here is the PF on the Milk Bush http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53909/
Here in FW I still have to bring it in for the winter or it will freeze.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow, Ted. You can be sure I will treat it with the greatest respect.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes Pat, those will be larger than the others for sure, about two foot long by 14" wide. The leaves are larger the more water they have. They do handle some sun but tend not to get real large if they don't have enough water. Just don't put them in a pond with out being in a container!
Oh and they bloom too!

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Just the 'ears' I was hoping for! Thanks again, Sheila.
Patricia

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Plenty more where those came from, enjoy! I spent a little time with my new babies but work everyday this week and when I get home cook, then it is almost dark. I am deciding where to plant when I get a chance. I did put my Double Rose of Sharon from Charlene in the ground and potted the other items that needed it right away. I for the first time at a swap brought more than I came home with, thank goodness!! We need more newbies to take extra plants! LOL!!
I really enjoyed meeting those I hadn't met before and loved getting to renew old aquaintances. But the door prize duties took up too much of my visiting time. I think next year the older kids need to take that over! LOL!! They are usually bored anyway. Just an idea. :-)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Kim, If the BB is pretty strong it might be fine planting outside. Perennials with strong roots usually come back, mulching never hurts, for sure. Actually I cover plants like that with lots of leaves.

debnes

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Little by little for me too Sheila.. I got the EE and the Cannas in the ground y'all. They look great. TY Sheila, Charlene and Pat!! I'm going to have such a mixture.. Thanks ere'body! My Skippers thank you too! I was telling my brother the swap meets are kinda like church, the plants are the communion part. lol.

I think I know what most of the plants I took home are.. Might question a couple before they all get situated. Please stay tuned..

Echoing mamajack.... Glad you made this thread Ted!

debnes

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Deb.....mom and dad had to make an unexpected trip back to Ohio so I think it will be overwintering in my little greenhouse along with all of my things. They are talking about possible frost next week here.

Kim

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

I can understand that, Sheila--you gave me enough water plants to open an aquatic plant store! My little pond loves you, and so do I! :)

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

does anyone know anything about what the fairy lily seeds are? who was it that had those?

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I got home with two St. Joseph Lilies. Can't find an exact match in the plant files. Help.

LouC

Fort Worth, TX

Aunt Carol had the Fairy Lily seeds she got them from my mom. All I know about them is that they are in the Amaryllis family. Sorry

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

That is a big help. I have around 40 amaryllis in the yard. Will just add these to them. Should make a pretty combination. Thanks.

LouC

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i think st. joseph's are hippeastrum johnsonii.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Banana I have it inside thanks.

Have one more to ID and I will have them done. It came in a starbucks clear plastic drink container. Three little leaves showing. Too much coffee?? LOL

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

I used Starbuck's cups for some things, Ted. If it's from me, it would have to be that poor scraggly little scabiosa. But it should be marked somewhere.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images