CLOSED: Rootcutting Experiment - for anyone who wants it (Mint)

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hi. One of my kids wants to find out just how hardy mint is. We had an invasion this summer when we planted some. Despite our landlord weed-whacking the entire yard (including my flowers, tomatoes, roses, and mint!) a few times, the mint just kept coming back and killing the weeds!

So we're wanting to try an experiment. We've roughly ripped up a bunch of roots. We'd like to have a few volunteers who have pots - don't even have to have potting soil, in fact regular dirt might be better, since it's not 'ideal' stuff. We'd like to send you a chunk of mint root, have you poke it into the pot, and water it a few times to see if it will grow for you.

If it does, you get a mint plant (I have chocolate mint and regular peppermint). We just want to know if it grew.

I have enough for at least 20 people, and more in the yard, so anyone who wants in, just say so and we'll send it to you in a regular #10 envelope (yeah, we're brutalizing it, we know).

You don't even need to send postage, since it's our experiment.

-Sev

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I'll take some!! My address is in the exchange.
Hetty

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

ill take some to my address is in the exchange

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Two envelopes addressed and ready to go. They'll go out today or tomorrow with roots in wet paper towels in baggies in them. My kids can't wait to see whether they survive the trip and the pots! :D

-Sev

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I will try some also. I am in the address exchange too.

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

me too...i'm also in the exchange :-)

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

This is fun - another two ready to go!

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I'd like the chocolate mint, my addy is CB, Fl and I am in the exchange.

Norfolk, VA

I'll try some....always willing to help kidswith experiments!!!!
will d-mail you my address
Thanks,
Beckie

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Two more - there's plenty for anyone :)

Madison, WI

Chocolate mint is extremely invasive. I have a mint patch that has a barrier around it.
Originally it was pepper mint and corn mint. After I added chocolate mint, it took over.
I had to rip the area out and plant choc in a container. So now they all are contained individually within a larger container.

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

*chuckle* yep, but in my experience all the mints did it. I had apple mint, it took over a small area. The peppermint took over a good chunk (about a yard square from one set of roots). The chocolate mint tried to take over the whole yard! I think if my landlord hadn't been such a jerk about the yard it would have succeeded, too.

He said we could use it to garden - he just kept sending people out, sight unseen, to 'cut everything down'. So, of course, they did. How could _anyone_ not recognize roses and mint? *boggle*

-Sev, off to the post office for today's set.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I would love to help in this test, address in the exchange. Thanks! Cathy

Milo, ME(Zone 4a)

me 2 raising my hands

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I think the mints will get their own pots, not into the community garden!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I tried chocolate mint in the ground and it died back for me but I am thinking it was because it did not get enough water. I have also killed banna mint but that was in the ground too.

Bonifay, FL

I'd like to give it a try, too. I'm in the address exchange.

Wyano, PA(Zone 6a)

I would love to join in the experiment and try the chocolate mint! My addy is in the exchange as well. Thanks!

Deer Park, TX(Zone 9a)

I am game. If there is still any available. My address is in the exchange also.
Thanks
Honey

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Getting all those together that I haven't already. And yes, there's still PLENTY - just remember, it's an experiment, and they might not grow. If they don't, we can discuss getting actual cuttings rooted and available. :)

-Sev

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

wow that was fast I hope that you send me chocolate mint i forget to tell you that........

Zolfo Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

If you still have some I would like to try it. Will send you a D-mail with my address.

Linda

(Cathy), MO

I'll try some chocolate mint also! I'm in the address exchange

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

me too ill try some of both i dont have any mint and want some

(Zone 9a)

I love a good experiment and have wanted some mint for a while now. Mint that can kill weeds? Even better! You know, you could get rich off of this stuff.

I'm in the addy exchange and would love some of whatever you've got to test.

By any chance are you gathering information for a Science Fair project? If so I'll photograph the arrival condition and post planting pictures and keep track of dates. My granddaughter won her science fair once. Her subject was the strength of various string.

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

It's a good idea, Mittsy, but no - my kids are just into science and love to experiment. I showed them how it was doing, and how amazing it was being, and they saw me doing the seed exchange and got to wondering...

We set up this experiment on a whim, really. The photos would be nice, but dates aren't necessary. It's only going to be reported to us.

Getting the envelopes packed today - will put them in the mail before noon. :)

-Sev

I receicved the chocolate mint today and planted it in my herb windowbox. It has lots of thyme, parsley and dill for company.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

May I volunteer for the chocolate mint? Shall dmail you my address.
~Jaye

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

My mint has also arrived and has been potted up. It looked very fresh when it came out of the envelope!!
Thanks for the gift.

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Wow - I'm surprised it survived. We were hoping it would, but weren't sure.

Jaye, I'll get yours out today.

I'm going to close the offer after a couple more come in, as I'm running out of stamps - it takes three to mail each envelope. :)

This is fun, still - and we're all excited to see what happens to the mint plants.

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

Please may I get in this offer. I will send you 3 stamps today in the mail. I have never had chocolate mint so it would be interesting to see how is grows in way south Georgia. I may leave some out for the winter and put some in a pot. Elaine

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Mine has arrived too. I t arrive yesterday but I was out of the office with sick kids. It looks just fine :o)

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Sure thing, Kami. Will send it today with the other.

:)

-Sev

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Sev -

I am more that happy to take a bunch off your hands! Ready to send you the stamps for them, so let me know!

Nichole

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

Ok, that's actually workable.

Anyone who wants them now can have them, but you have to send stamps so I can ship them.

I'll buy more stamps today and just take your word they're being sent, we can cross them in the mail (er, not sure if you know what that means - it means I'll mail before I get the stamps and just assume they're on the way, when you say you mailed the stamps).

Funny thing is, I thought I had nothing to offer the community yet, given that I'm just doing edibles and don't have whole tons of seeds. Yet, I've mailed out so much this week! It's a nice feeling. :)

-Sev

Norfolk, VA

sevidra, haven't gotten mine yet, but can put stamps in the mail for u today if you want

Rockaway, NJ(Zone 6a)

bhaugh, yours went out already, if you want to send stamps you can, but it's not necessary.

btw, how do you pronounce that?

Norfolk, VA

it is pronounced haw....when we go to dinner the wait staff gets confused so we just tell them hall......can't wait to get the mint. can it be grown indoors?
i'll send you some stamps
your in the exchange ?

This message was edited Nov 2, 2007 1:40 PM

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

sevidra, I'd love to see about trying the chocolate mint if you have any left. I love the idea of flavored mints.. :) I'm in the addy but I'll d-mail the address to since I've been told several times that people can't find me in there.. I'll send your stamps out this week.

Lindy

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.